The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
brawley
Easy Does It

Langdons Stovebolt Carb. install for inline 6

Trying to freshen up my inline 6 250 that came in my 68' , I was on a budget and wanted a new intake and carb but thought this might be the way to go for now. I decided to go with the Weber set up from Langdons stovebolt, he has the knowledge and parts for inline 6 engines, bought the 32/36 carb. adapter plate, and air cleaner kit. using the factory intake and throttle linkage. had to remove stud to reverse for new linkage not to bind , shorten new linkage just a tad longer than factory one, used the center hole on carb. attach adapter plate, carb and linkage, everything was pretty straightfoward and im happy with results, started right up. still getting it dialed in, it helps to change over to HEI also.
Attached Images

brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
brawley
Easy Does It

Re: Langdons Stovebolt Carb. install for inline 6

here are some more pics. used factory manual choke, attach air cleaner adapter plate and cover, still has the old skool vibe I wanted to keep.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
NONHOG

Wow that looks really sharp. Sillyoldman and I installed that set up on my 235 Chevy powered 49 GMC. Its been a spell but IIRC it went pretty well.
Wish I still had it.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Cool install.
Many years ago, I tried a similar set up. I had a 2Bbl Holley/Weber off a Vega and modified a 2-into-1 carb adapter like yours, to use on my '68 292 L6.
There were tech problems, however, and I got talked into a 4Bbl Holley 8007 390 CFM on an Offy intake and Clifford headers. I was told the Vega carb was too small for a .030-over 292 [=296 CI].
I don't regret the power upgrade, but I always wondered if the Vega carb would've worked.
What headers are those?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
geezer#99

Looks good!!
Now all you need is a better metal tubing line for your fuel inlet.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

Please post about how it runs!!!
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
brawley
Easy Does It

It's an improvement from the factory Rochester that was on it, it starts right up, don't have to pump the throttle, quicker response and more drivable, not sure about fuel mileage ,is supposed to be better but that was not a concern for me... not a big performance upgrade though...you need to go to a Clifford intake and 4 barrel or dual carb set up.. but left some money in my pocket for other things I want to do to the truck.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
brawley
Easy Does It

there Hedman headers, y piped together and connected to a flowmaster out the back like factory, it really sounds good....better than I thought, didn't think the price to run dual exhaust was worth the difference, if any in power.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

I have the Clifford Research headers, p/n 52-0960. I paid $93.50 new at a speed shop in 1978. They were the only game in town then for L6 Perf gear. I think Hedman only made V8 stuff then, but I'm not sure. I used to run Steel Packs by Weiand straight out of the collectors without any exhaust tubing, but they used to fall off. [Steel pax use steel wool instead of fibreglas, but are otherwise like glasspacks, except they burn out less often.] No longer available IIRC.
By the mid-'80s I got talked into a fancier dual exaust set up thru turbo mufflers, exiting behind the rear tires at a 45* angle. Also the mechanic suggested an "N" style crossover tube. It increases my low end torque. Pulls uphill real good. It's quiet at idle, but gives out a wildcat-like snarl on the freeway.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #10
88Ironduke

That's an awesome set up. That engine bay looks clean and sweet. Very nicely done, it has become my goal to reproduce that is some what as smooth.

I'm not totally up to speed on the earlier years of production. My question is about the bracket in the second picture, it looks like it converts the geometry of the gas pedal to a direction that the Weber can use. My 72' C-10 has its original 6 but the throttle is a cable operated type. Is the cable system correct for 72' or should it have a different setup installation? Is that little bracket something I should keep my eyes on the look out for. I am looking very hard at the weber kit and yours is the first I have seen with it. Again, very nice truck.

Thanks
88Ironduke

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
pritch

Very Cool!!
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #12
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Ironduke View Post
That's an awesome set up. That engine bay looks clean and sweet. Very nicely done, it has become my goal to reproduce that is some what as smooth.

I'm not totally up to speed on the earlier years of production. My question is about the bracket in the second picture, it looks like it converts the geometry of the gas pedal to a direction that the Weber can use. My 72' C-10 has its original 6 but the throttle is a cable operated type. Is the cable system correct for 72' or should it have a different setup installation? Is that little bracket something I should keep my eyes on the look out for. I am looking very hard at the weber kit and yours is the first I have seen with it. Again, very nice truck.

Thanks
88Ironduke
Your 72 would have been a cable. That bellcrank you speak of in the second pic is mounted to the intake (with a pin) thru a drilled boss on the intake. It's possible your newer intake won't have it.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #13
'68OrangeSunshine

88IronDuke: You don't need any bellcranks. Your cable is a much better configuration. I used to have a bellcrank on one of the corner posts of my Holley 390, connecting to linkage on the throttle. It was susceptible to binding, jamming and breaking from a lot of small parts [mini- hairpins, rod clips, etc.] Even carb icing in the mountains. Also it would not give WOT on the 4 barrel. I replaced it with a '72-style accelerator cable and it's much more reliable. A little more 'hair trigger', but it gets everything out of my Edlebrock 1404 carb. It has not been a problem in the 7 years it's been rigged with a cable/gas pedal.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:14 AM   #14
swamp rat

Subscribed!!! Great info.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
TheSeeker

Can I just say I think your engine bay is awesome looking! I have a DD 69 with a 250 and ive been making improvements like HEI, internal regulated alt, etc. and Ive taken my time and did the best I could but MAN! yours is soooo clean. I think if I posted my pics id just embarras myself. Good work! I almost bought that same carb setup about a month ago, I am tired of dealing with this worn out monojet. Again, good job!
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:50 AM   #16
sharkskinman

What jets are in in from stovebolt and why mounted it perpendicular to the engine?
sharkskinman is offline   Reply With Quote