The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #1
macdaddy70

steering wheel hub repair

After looking at several posts on this, I decided to pull the wheel this afternoon and start prepping for epoxy. Couple of questions
First looking at the hub, it looks rough but I am going to try and close/fill gaps and epoxy? Any special instructions or things to watch out for would be appreciated.
Second, Is the black seal an available replacement part?
Thoughts...this is the original wheel and I hope to salvage it.
Attached Images

macdaddy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: steering wheel hub repair

That looks really rough shape. My suggestion would be start from the inside first. See if you can get the convex spring disc, retainer, cup, and horn button to work first, if you have not already done that. Make sure it is going to be able to honk the horn and that the horn button will look like it is resting in an acceptable position. If the horn will honk and button look OK, then proceed.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
macdaddy70

The horn isnt working and the spring steel disc was wedged in the hub so that is something to work on along with replacing the hazard switch. Im going to try and salvage. It was surprising to see how out of round the hub was.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
dmjlambert

There needs to be a raised area of plastic around the metal hub for the spring steel disc to rest on, and suspend it evenly above the metal hub. When you press on any area of the metal cup, pressing in any way, the disc will snap down and make contact with the raised metal area of the hub next to the big nut that holds the steering wheel on. If you can't get that part working well and looking somewhat good with the horn cap, then you might as well get another used steering wheel that is in better condition, there are some available that have better condition hubs and just cracking up on the outer wheel. That is why I suggest starting in the horn button assembly area. Reproductions are available that look really nice but some people here on the board complain that they are more flimsy than the originals. If you are not highly interested in original look for your year, there are other year steering wheels that do not have that same tendency to crack up. I switched to a used 62 Chevy II wheel that came with the horn button hardware and button.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
dmjlambert

More info here about the horn button hardware and fitting and working in a cracked up wheel like my old one. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=709782
Old 07-04-2018, 11:15 PM   #6
Warrens69GMC

Steering wheel restoration......probably not cheap........

http://www.steeringwheelbob.com/
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:22 PM   #7
dmjlambert

Steering Wheel Bob has a pretty neat-o website. It would be great to have one of these on my truck, with a Chevy or GMC emblem horn button to finish it off.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
macdaddy70

Yeah those are going to too expensive. Does look like he does good work. Im going to try this to see if I can make it look good. Like you I have read some negative reviews on the repop ones. With no power steering I wonder if that will create more flex from the wheel. I am going to try some paste epoxy. The truck is more of a weekend driver than anything. Maybe it will hold up ok...we will see.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #9
dmjlambert

I looked periodically on eBay for a Chevy steering wheel in good used condition that I liked the looks of, and that included horn button and horn button hardware for a reasonable price. It took patience, because 95% or more of used steering wheels seem to not come with the button or hardware and they are expensive or all cracked up, but I finally scored for under $50. One day I will patch the very small cracks it has and repaint it along with the steering column. It is a perfect match for the shape of the steering column, looks like it should have been the steering wheel sold with these trucks. I like the bowtie horn button, that button alone probably should have been worth $50.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
macdaddy70

That looks good. I have some downtime so I will try to fill cracks. Eventually I would like to find an original donor wheel, but the ones i've seen so far are still up there...around 50 bucks is what I would like to spend.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #11
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

Spend your $50.00 at pick and pull in Jackson,Ms. not on $50.00 worth of JB Weld. Early 90's Chevy pickup steering wheels will fit and have a much better grip.
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #12
macdaddy70

I will check to see what is available. thanks for the info. I wondered what others would fit.
This one is so out of round I just dont think it will look good.