The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
1967Chevrolet

Retrosound Model Two Install and Review

I got the Retrosound model two radio, an antenna and a pair of 120 watt pioneer kick panel speaker for christmas from Classic Parts this year. First impression of the radio was that it looks to be very well made has a tough outer case and the knobs and buttons have a very nice feel when turning or pushing them. The radio also comes with a two year warranty.

Putting the radio together was confusing at first because the instructions are universal, so you have to figure out which pieces to use depending on the vehicle. Once the radio was put together the install was very easy it goes in just like the factory radio does. Wiring was also very simple you need an accessory 12 volt, constant 12 volt, and a ground wire and the radio powers right up.

Kick Panel Speaker installation went well also, the drivers side speaker needed a little bit of trimming around the vent and at the bottom, the passenger side had to have several inches cut of the top near the back to clear. The major problem was the e-brake handle, I read that people were having problems with the foot e-brake hitting the speaker so i thought that my hand e-brake in my 1967 would clear but it didn't. We decided to bend the bracket that holds the e-brake just a little bit and now it clears easily.

I have been using the radio a little over a month now and I will say I am very pleased with its operation so far, with just those two 120 watt speakers the sound is very clear and loud even or the sound of the exhaust. The bluetooth works very well when wanting to play song from my iphone and the hands free calling works very well i was surprised by how well the microphone picks up your voice and cancels out other sounds like the motor/exhaust. With the windows down going down the road someone on the passenger side can talk and the microphone will pick up their voice and the microphone is on the driver's side visor.

I think the retrosound model two radio is a great radio for someone that doesn't want to cut the dash and keep the factory look, while upgrading to bluetooth, hand free calling, usb ports, aux ports, subwoofer and amp connection and control.

Radio: http://www.classicparts.com/1967-72-.../#.VMpEzmjF_d4

Speakers: http://www.classicparts.com/1967-72-.../#.VMpEVmjF_d4

Antenna: http://www.classicparts.com/1967-72-.../#.VMpEeGjF_d4
1967Chevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
1972BlueC20

Re: Retrosound Model Two Install and Review

Awesome man! I been considering getting the kick panel speakers and one of the radios similar to this.....

My only 2 issues for me is that I might add vintage air later and I think the passenger kick panel speaker will be a problem if I do.....also my truck is a factory non radio truck so the cowl doesn't have a hole for an antenna....I saw somewhere there is an antenna that can lay down on the dash or somewhere and work that way....I need to research my options!

Glad you're happy with your set up!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
michael bustamante

that was very nice of classic parts to send you those components for christmas
thanks for the review, especially the hands free and bluetooth. when i installed my kickpanals i had the same problem.
theres an antenna that sticks to the windshield, look into that
Old 01-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
1967Chevrolet

Maybe try this hidden antenna, it seems to have some really good reviews and you can put it anywhere you want

http://www.classicparts.com/1947-98-.../#.VMpRJmjF_d4

Yeah i would have to say the hands free and bluetooth would be one of my favorite parts, just because i can connect my phone to it when there isn't anything on the radio, and don't have to pull over when i get a call or need to call someone
Old 01-29-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
Hook'em

Thanks for posting the review. I'd love to see some pics of the radio and speakers installed.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
1967Chevrolet

Here are some pictures, i need to get the dodge dakota snap on door seals the glue on ones will not stay on
Old 01-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
1967Chevrolet

Pictures of Radio, Speakers and antenna
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
1967Chevrolet

Some more pictures, if you want anymore pictures just ask
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #9
RetroMfgWil

Great install! Looks great in that dash.

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by kcsa75; 03-04-2015 at 12:08 AM.
RetroMfgWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #10
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Chevrolet View Post
I got the Retrosound model two radio, an antenna and a pair of 120 watt pioneer kick panel speaker for christmas from Classic Parts this year. First impression of the radio was that it looks to be very well made has a tough outer case and the knobs and buttons have a very nice feel when turning or pushing them. The radio also comes with a two year warranty.

Putting the radio together was confusing at first because the instructions are universal, so you have to figure out which pieces to use depending on the vehicle. Once the radio was put together the install was very easy it goes in just like the factory radio does. Wiring was also very simple you need an accessory 12 volt, constant 12 volt, and a ground wire and the radio powers right up.

Kick Panel Speaker installation went well also, the drivers side speaker needed a little bit of trimming around the vent and at the bottom, the passenger side had to have several inches cut of the top near the back to clear. The major problem was the e-brake handle, I read that people were having problems with the foot e-brake hitting the speaker so i thought that my hand e-brake in my 1967 would clear but it didn't. We decided to bend the bracket that holds the e-brake just a little bit and now it clears easily.

I have been using the radio a little over a month now and I will say I am very pleased with its operation so far, with just those two 120 watt speakers the sound is very clear and loud even or the sound of the exhaust. The bluetooth works very well when wanting to play song from my iphone and the hands free calling works very well i was surprised by how well the microphone picks up your voice and cancels out other sounds like the motor/exhaust. With the windows down going down the road someone on the passenger side can talk and the microphone will pick up their voice and the microphone is on the driver's side visor.

I think the retrosound model two radio is a great radio for someone that doesn't want to cut the dash and keep the factory look, while upgrading to bluetooth, hand free calling, usb ports, aux ports, subwoofer and amp connection and control.

Radio: http://www.classicparts.com/1967-72-.../#.VMpEzmjF_d4

Speakers: http://www.classicparts.com/1967-72-.../#.VMpEVmjF_d4

Antenna: http://www.classicparts.com/1967-72-.../#.VMpEeGjF_d4
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in, I installed a retro sound stereo in my son's 1973 chevy pickup, after a year it quit working...I called the company and they had me send it in,it was still under the 2 year warranty, apparently they couldn't fix it , so they sent us a new one,great customer service!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #11
snj8198

Radio looks really good, but where did you get that beer holder?!? errr I mean.. water bottle holder?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #12
1967Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj8198 View Post
Radio looks really good, but where did you get that beer holder?!? errr I mean.. water bottle holder?
haha i got the "beer holder"/cup holder from LMC, it stuck out really far when i first got it so I modified it so it would sit farther back in the ash tray

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=78
Old 03-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #13
1967Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in, I installed a retro sound stereo in my son's 1973 chevy pickup, after a year it quit working...I called the company and they had me send it in,it was still under the 2 year warranty, apparently they couldn't fix it , so they sent us a new one,great customer service!
I hope i don't have any issues with mine which i haven't, thats good that they stood behind the 2 year warranty and replaced
Old 03-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #14
Z10

Glad to hear your having good results with the radio. I've got one in my garage that I need to get installed.

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #15
snj8198

Quote:
haha i got the "beer holder"/cup holder from LMC, it stuck out really far when i first got it so I modified it so it would sit farther back in the ash tray

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=78
OOH! I don't smoke so that can come out. But I ... will be ordering one of these cup holders. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #16
RetroMfgWil

Quote:
I hope i don't have any issues with mine which i haven't, thats good that they stood behind the 2 year warranty and replaced
You shouldn't. There's very little issues with our radios. and if there is, we stand behind our warranty and will take care of our customers if there is a problem.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #17
jimbosprint

Here are some photos I took of my Retro Sound install (Retro Classic RC900C). I believe it is the same mounting as the Model 2. The brackets are universal, so you just have to figure out some way to put it together with the parts in the box. I hope this helps others figure it out faster than me.

Wiring was no different than any other car stereo. I got battery power off the cigarette lighter, accessory from power to the old radio, and I added a ground wire to the speaker mount bracket. The dual voice coil dash speaker is connected to the R and L front channel. I put the aux cable through the ash tray so I can listen to MP3s from my phone. With the wiring harness done, I tested the radio before installing in the dash.

I attached the 'InfiniMount' brackets to only the front holes of the radio, slid all the way towards the back in the slots of the bracket. This puts the bracket supporting the radio closest to the dash. Then the posts were attached to the middle slot of the brackets (nut/washer/bracket/washer/nut) with the first nut roughly in the middle of the threads. This determines how far the knobs stick out of the dash. Center them with the holes of the bezel for side to side adjustment.

The third photo shows how I used big plastic washers between the brackets and the bezel. Then the dash goes next. There were some slightly cupped plastic washers that fit the holes in the dash. I used those and a thin washer and nut to attach the front of the radio to the dash. (Note: You will have to make sure the posts stick out of the dash far enough to get a nut on the end of the threads, this may require adjusting the post forward or back. Also, be careful with the bezel, it is easy to scratch going in and out for all the test fitting.)

Now that it fit to the dash, I mounted the backstrap to the speaker mount bracket (also a good time to be careful not to scratch the bezel). Then I cut down the rubber post covers and put on the knobs. Plug in the wiring harness and turn it on!

Disclaimer: This is just how I did it. Please don't take this as the only right way it can be installed.
Attached Images

jimbosprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #18
RetroMfgWil

Great install pics Jimbosprint!

Yes the Model 2, Zuma/Hermosa and the RC(RetroSound Classic) all have the same radio body and mounting brackets. For others that that dont have the radio yet, the "InfiniMount" brackets allow you to make your adjustments on fitting the radio to your dash. As each car fitment is different, this allows adjustment depending on clearances and space.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:31 AM   #19
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMfgWil View Post
You shouldn't. There's very little issues with our radios. and if there is, we stand behind our warranty and will take care of our customers if there is a problem.
Hey there, it was just a few months ago I dealt with you guys, you were great! thanks again....Jim
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #20
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
Here are some photos I took of my Retro Sound install (Retro Classic RC900C). I believe it is the same mounting as the Model 2. The brackets are universal, so you just have to figure out some way to put it together with the parts in the box. I hope this helps others figure it out faster than me.

Wiring was no different than any other car stereo. I got battery power off the cigarette lighter, accessory from power to the old radio, and I added a ground wire to the speaker mount bracket. The dual voice coil dash speaker is connected to the R and L front channel. I put the aux cable through the ash tray so I can listen to MP3s from my phone. With the wiring harness done, I tested the radio before installing in the dash.

I attached the 'InfiniMount' brackets to only the front holes of the radio, slid all the way towards the back in the slots of the bracket. This puts the bracket supporting the radio closest to the dash. Then the posts were attached to the middle slot of the brackets (nut/washer/bracket/washer/nut) with the first nut roughly in the middle of the threads. This determines how far the knobs stick out of the dash. Center them with the holes of the bezel for side to side adjustment.

The third photo shows how I used big plastic washers between the brackets and the bezel. Then the dash goes next. There were some slightly cupped plastic washers that fit the holes in the dash. I used those and a thin washer and nut to attach the front of the radio to the dash. (Note: You will have to make sure the posts stick out of the dash far enough to get a nut on the end of the threads, this may require adjusting the post forward or back. Also, be careful with the bezel, it is easy to scratch going in and out for all the test fitting.)

Now that it fit to the dash, I mounted the backstrap to the speaker mount bracket (also a good time to be careful not to scratch the bezel). Then I cut down the rubber post covers and put on the knobs. Plug in the wiring harness and turn it on!

Disclaimer: This is just how I did it. Please don't take this as the only right way it can be installed.

I followed your advice to a T tonight and it mounted up beautifully! Anyone else reading this, look at his pictures and description carefully and it will be a breeze. Without this I would've had it in and out 10 times or more. I set it up like this and put it in once and done. THANK YOU!
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #21
jimbosprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
I followed your advice to a T tonight and it mounted up beautifully! Anyone else reading this, look at his pictures and description carefully and it will be a breeze. Without this I would've had it in and out 10 times or more. I set it up like this and put it in once and done. THANK YOU!
Happy to help. Glad it made your install easy.
jimbosprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #22
Clavo106

Nice man. I was to interested in buying this as well. glad to hear the review.
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #23
Z10

Great write up! I just finished installing a model 2 over the weekend with the help of my buddy. Pretty straight forward and lot's of functionality and expansion capability. I'll be posting a more detailed write up on my build site, if anyone is interested. We used Custom Audio Sound speaker boxes under the seat for bass and midrange and JBL tweeters mounted on the corners of the dash.

This thing punches above it's class.
Attached Images

1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Old 08-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #24
EARNHARDT#3

I'm not planning on using either Aux inputs or the USB one for that matter...just the Bluetooth. But why would there even be 2 Aux inputs? I couldn't figure out how that would benefit someone.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:24 AM   #25
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
I'm not planning on using either Aux inputs or the USB one for that matter...just the Bluetooth. But why would there even be 2 Aux inputs? I couldn't figure out how that would benefit someone.
One thing you should consider is that if you use the USB input instead of the Bluetooth, you'll be able to see in the radio display the music information coming from your iPhone/ipod. Bluetooth won't send this info. Plus, you'll be able to charge your phone as you drive.

1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i