The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #51
Muleman100

Re: Dan's '46 - Some Small Stuff Done Today.

Waiting on my one piece die cut headliner, glad to know it will be easy to install.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #52
Dan in Pasadena

K-Ten,
I already have the two piece cardboard set from Carter's. What I don't have is the middle bar necessary to install it. I've collected all the other interior metal trim except that one piece. I understand the center piece makes one of the cardboard pieces slide into it and "steps on" the other piece. For anyone questioning the use of the one piece vs. the two piece headliners, my '46 truck has a '41 cab - evidenced by the bolt in rear window - unique to '41 as I understand it.

I've also read it is necessary to wet the cardboard and sort of shape it - something I'm NOT looking forward to. I've read you're supposed to wet it with a mix of water and (I think) vinegar?

At this point I'm planning on making something to use for the center metal trim out of some kind of stainless strip that is made for vinyl flooring or a carpet edging. After it is all fitted, I will take it down and spray adhesive Naugahyde onto it.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #53
K-TEN

I posted a reply earlier but the site imploded or something. Anyway, I didn't use any moisture for the headliner. Lay it out and let it flatten up from shipping. Know going in that you will not have it fit properly over the doors. Choose a side that you want perfect and let it be. On my driver''s side, the holes show a bit and that is the fault of the product, not you. You can't stretch it!
I wonder if you can buy a bow from someone going with the one piece setup? Or maybe use and Advance Design bow and cut it down.
K-TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #54
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-TEN View Post
... I didn't use any moisture for the headliner.
Good to know. I didn't want to...just saw that most everyone on Stovebolt was saying you had to.

Quote:
...Lay it out and let it flatten up from shipping. Know going in that you will not have it fit properly over the doors. Choose a side that you want perfect and let it be. On my driver''s side, the holes show a bit and that is the fault of the product, not you. You can't stretch it
Yeah, I already laid it out, I was just paralyzed by the lack of the "outer" center bow. I DO have the structural center bow...so after awhile I got to thinking, "Why can't I just butt up the two headliner pieces and screw a piece of stainless strip over the top of the butt joint? I think I can make it work. First, I've got crusty, but non-penetrative surface rust on the underside of the roof. I need to sand that off and coat it with Master Series or POR-15, insulate it, then do the headliner.

Quote:
...I wonder if you can buy a bow from someone going with the one piece setup? Or maybe use and Advance Design bow and cut it down.
If anyone has one they want to get rid of, drop me a PM.

In keeping with the "Small Stuff" thread title:

I tried to flush the radiator for fresh coolant today. I drained it; there was VERY depleted antifreeze w/ some rust already developing. Refilled & ran it up to temperature TWICE, drained/refilled it w/ water both times and still got some rustiness coming out so I will continue tomorrow. Anyone know if there is a block drain on an older (70's) 350?

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-05-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #55
K-TEN

Are you doing a power flush with a garden hose? You should.
The S/S strip should work, just pre-fit and predrill everything BEFORE you put the cardboard in, right?
You could just put some rust converter on the inside of your roof and then insulate. I think that we tend to overdo some stuff on Drivers in particular. So tel me Dan, how much salt will be going on the road this winter in Pasadena? And you'll be driving in all of those snowstorms? And the salt will get up into the roof? I live in New Hampshire and my trucks don't come close to road salt. Just sayin'.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #56
Muleman100

In Texas we don't have to shovel heat. The headliner I bought is a one piece. What kind of problems should I anticipate?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #57
K-TEN

I have no first hand knowledge so consider the source. But I am made to believe that the one-piece not only fits properly, but is reasonably simple to install as well. I wouldn't anticipate that there would be any formation (curving) issues, but if there were, a heat gun can be a big help.
Would you consider selling your middle headliner bow to Dan in Pasadena if you're not going to use it??

Last edited by K-TEN; 09-06-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #58
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Are you doing a power flush with a garden hose? You should.
The S/S strip should work, just pre-fit and predrill everything BEFORE you put the cardboard in, right?
You could just put some rust converter on the inside of your roof and then insulate. I think that we tend to overdo some stuff on Drivers in particular. So tel me Dan, how much salt will be going on the road this winter in Pasadena? And you'll be driving in all of those snowstorms? And the salt will get up into the roof? I live in New Hampshire and my trucks don't come close to road salt. Just sayin'.
Ha...ha, no salt on the roads in Pasadena...although it actually HAS snowed here a couple times in the last 100 years...it lasted about an hour so obviously it wasn't much snow. Nevertheless, my truck does have what I would term heavy surface rust on the inside of the roof. I'm sure I could just paint over the rust and I agree we tend to "overdo some stuff on Drivers" but WHAT makes practical sense about choosing a 65 year old car to use as a daily? (Incidentally, mine is not a daily). If we were "practical" we'd be driving Corollas

I won't overdue the sanding because frankly I won't be able to reach a lot of it. In those cases I will get the converter on it as best I can and call it good. THEN I'll put some insulation over it and throw the headliner cardboard on it.

Power flush...I have no heater so how would I go about it? I admit to NO familiarity with how it works - could I pull the plug I see on the top of the water pump and somehow plumb in a connector? Where does the water go in/come out with a power flush? DO I have to pull the thermostat?

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-07-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #59
K-TEN

"could I pull the plug I see on the top of the water pump and somehow plumb in a connector? Where does the water go in/come out with a power flush? DO I have to pull the thermostat?"
In general, yes. Do you have something coming off the thermostat housing that would be used for a heater hose? You could pull the t-stat, but it would be pretty messy. Small block Chevy, you say? You should be able to go the parts store and get a t-stat housing with a heater bung fo short money. Har to say from here with no pix.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #60
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
...Do you have something coming off the thermostat housing that would be used for a heater hose?
No, nothing and the bolts look like they've been there a loong time. I can try putting PB Blaster on them but it doesn't appear it would be able to penetrate tothe threads.

Quote:
You could pull the t-stat, but it would be pretty messy.
Yeah, worried about breaking bolts. Mess I don't care about because if I get the housing off clean I'll likely use the opportunity to give the block a good cleaning and touch up - it NEEDS it.

Quote:
Small block Chevy, you say? You should be able to go the parts store and get a t-stat housing with a heater bung for short money. Hard to say from here with no pix.
I'm at work and the only engine picture I've got is a crappy cell phone pic from when I first bought the truck and you can't see anything. There's nothing on the T stat housing, only a pipe plug on top of the waterpump. So clearly I can rig up something to put hose water in there but with the T stat still in, I'm only going to be flushing what's outside the block... DOH!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-08-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #61
K-TEN

You should have 2 block plugs above the oil pan rails. one on each side. Fish a little wire in there to loosen the crud up and then flush from the water pump bung.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #62
Dan in Pasadena

That's a good idea, but you don't mean the freeze plugs, do you? Some other type of plugs in the block?

Clearly I need to get under there on a creeper with a flashlight and search for what I may have in the block. Thanks for all the advice, Dan
Old 09-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #63
K-TEN

Nope, not freeze plugs. Take a peek, let's see what you find.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #64
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Nope, not freeze plugs. Take a peek, let's see what you find.
Ok. I'll take a couple pictures when I'm under there. Hopefully they'll come out clear enough to see what's happening. I'm curious now even if I end up using another method.