The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
72step

Two Tone BC/CC methods

When it comes to the two tone nason BC/CC painting I plan on spraying the roof white first along with the grille and bumpers. My local paint shop guy suggested I paint the white first then the paint the bottom half base then clear the whole thing. I can't find anything on flash times on the Nason tech sheet for the base coat except for you to wait 15 minutes before spraying cc. My question is I think what the paint shop guy suggested won't work since I will have to let the white base dry fully in order to mask the top off to shoot the bottom base. I suppose I could shoot the white in a single stage but I'm not sure if that would look too dull and non quality? Thanks for any info!
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods

I have to tell you, I see no reason what so ever to paint the two colors then clear the whole thing. Paint the white, clear it then prep the rest and mask off the top.

This helps to eliminate a PILE of trouble in something getting onto that white while you are painting the bottom, masking, all that stuff. It's WHITE remember, it wouldn't take much! And it frees you up for painting less at a time so you can concentrate on less and be a little more at ease.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Tinkermc

Always do the smaller area first to completion, then when you have to cover the painted area it is small.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
72step

Thanks for the info guys! Makes perfect sense!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
cg285

i do it all the time like your paint guy said. it will also eliminate the edge you will get doing it the other way.
spray the smallest part first so there is less to mask. wait at least 4 hours before taping over the base coat. it will all need to be cleared within a 24hr period
you could have overspray issues, tho', if you are a sloppy taper
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
72step

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
i do it all the time like your paint guy said. it will also eliminate the edge you will get doing it the other way.
spray the smallest part first so there is less to mask. wait at least 4 hours before taping over the base coat. it will all need to be cleared within a 24hr period
you could have overspray issues, tho', if you are a sloppy taper
Not a sloppy taper but I am an amateur and I hate to be committed once I start. I'd rather do small steps.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
MARTINSR

I have to say, personally, that "tape edge" is WAY over blown, and the funny part is when people worry about it on a restoration, the factory ALWAYS had a tape edge, two tones and stripes and such weren't buried under clear.

Honestly, it takes a LOT of experience to pull off a job like this if you were to paint both colors then clear over the whole thing, it takes a LOT of experience. I will bet a crisp ten dollar bill that the guy who suggested this at the paint store has never done it. To suggest to a newbe to do this is bad advice if you ask me.

Brian

Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
cg285

it's not difficult at all. in fact it's easier.
but i would suggest do it the way you are most comfortable as it's your vehicle not a customer's.

don't try that with graphics tho'
Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
72step

Quote:
it's not difficult at all. in fact it's easier.
but i would suggest do it the way you are most comfortable as it's your vehicle not a customer's.

don't try that with graphics tho'
Easier you say. Maybe for you but taping on 4 hour old base coat and being commited to spraying clear within 24 could end up in disaster for a newbie. There's too many what ifs. Anything that goes wrong and you will miss the 24 hour period then your f&*^$d!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #10
cg285

hahaha i don't care how you want to do it. just answering the original post. however a lot can be accomplished in a 24 hour time span. unless, of course, you are a government worker.
try holding your arms out to your side for 10 minutes. that will seem like a very long time :-)
Old 08-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
72step

Quote:
hahaha i don't care how you want to do it. just answering the original post. however a lot can be accomplished in a 24 hour time span. unless, of course, you are a government worker.
try holding your arms out to your side for 10 minutes. that will seem like a very long time :-)
I will let your words speak for your mentality.

With that said; I agree that a lot can be accomplished in a 24 hour period; however, this is supposed to be a hobby and working around the clock equals becoming tired and that's when mistakes happen. I want a decent end product and I really don't care if I shoot the whole thing in 24 hours as long as I get it done before winter.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72step View Post
I will let your words speak for your mentality.

With that said; I agree that a lot can be accomplished in a 24 hour period; however, this is supposed to be a hobby and working around the clock equals becoming tired and that's when mistakes happen. I want a decent end product and I really don't care if I shoot the whole thing in 24 hours as long as I get it done before winter.
i will put the first color on a motorhome (equivalent of about 3 trucks) in the morning, wait 4 hours, mask off for the other colors, graphics, etc shoot them in the afternoon, go home, drink, eat and sleep. go to work in the am, pull the paper and clear. i'm not working around the clock either.
and your 24 hour time starts after the first color is completed
Old 08-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
MARTINSR

Quote:
I didn't mean to sound so pissy, we are all different and to someone who has sprayed a few cars doing it all at once is a great way to go. My advice is for someone not so experienced, in a garage that isn't perfectly clean and so on. Do one color at a time and you eliminate a LOT of headaches.

Now with all this info (that is what forums are for, getting different ways is part of it) it can be decided which way to go.

Brian

Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #14
Low Elco

Simple. If you're an amateur, doing this in your garage, yes, base and clear your smallest and then go to the next step. If you've got a booth, know what you're doing, and have all day, then the all at once is a lot easier. Good luck!

PS- In the shops, I've blue taped over base in about an hour, in a warm booth with air flowin. No problem, if you don't get crazy with pushin' down.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #15
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Now with all this info (that is what forums are for, getting different ways is part of it) it can be decided which way to go.

Brian
well i'm not too sure how an amateur decides who to believe on these forums. i usually see things like: my truck won't start - and then the bs starts

A says it needs a module
B says it needs a coil
C says it needs a fuel pump
D says it needs spark plugs
E says it needs a complete overhaul
...... and here we go.
so after he replaces a ton of stuff he finds out he is out of fuel hahaha
Old 08-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #16
MARTINSR

Quote:
well i'm not too sure how an amateur decides who to believe on these forums. i usually see things like: my truck won't start - and then the bs starts

A says it needs a module
B says it needs a coil
...... and here we go.
There is a big difference in someone giving a WRONG answer and someone simply giving another way to do it that works. Usually the people who know what they are talking about will explain why it's wrong so the newbe understands.

But we all do it to some extent while putting on my convertible top for the first time. I ignored a suggestion because I thought I understood it different and it ended up biting me in the butt. So though we can do some amazing things because of this internet thing but it isn't perfect.

Brian

Old 08-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #17
72step

Quote:

A says it needs a module
B says it needs a coil
...... and here we go.
I would like to say that paint and body is a bit different. If your truck won't start then there's one right way to fix it and that is to pin point the problem replace the part etc. With paint and body there is more than one way to skin the cat. Certain protocols will be considered wrong to some while might work for others etc. There's theoretically no wrong or right way to do a lot of things in the paint and body world. If you achieve the end product you desire is where you did it right regardless of what methods and protocols you used.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #18
englands 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72step View Post
When it comes to the two tone nason BC/CC painting I plan on spraying the roof white first along with the grille and bumpers. My local paint shop guy suggested I paint the white first then the paint the bottom half base then clear the whole thing. I can't find anything on flash times on the Nason tech sheet for the base coat except for you to wait 15 minutes before spraying cc. My question is I think what the paint shop guy suggested won't work since I will have to let the white base dry fully in order to mask the top off to shoot the bottom base. I suppose I could shoot the white in a single stage but I'm not sure if that would look too dull and non quality? Thanks for any info!

just remember to use fine line tape if you two tone base to base. Regular masking tape green or yellow will let the paint bleed and soak up the paint if its used to seperate the colors. Fine line tape will keep this from happening.
englands 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #19
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by englands 71 View Post
just remember to use fine line tape if you two tone base to base. Regular masking tape green or yellow will let the paint bleed and soak up the paint if its used to seperate the colors. Fine line tape will keep this from happening.
What he said!

Brian

Old 08-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #20
FlameOut

I just did my cab today, two tone. I didn't use fine line tape though, just the blue, green and yellow that i had on hand. I will pick some up though before doing the rest of the truck. I got lucky and didn't have any bleed

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #21
englands 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
I just did my cab today, two tone. I didn't use fine line tape though, just the blue, green and yellow that i had on hand. I will pick some up though before doing the rest of the truck. I got lucky and didn't have any bleed

yes you got lucky - dont mess around with it .
englands 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #22
damnyankee36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Paint the white, clear it then prep the rest and mask off the top.
Brian
When you say "clear it" are you saying to clear just the white? I should mask so only the white is cleared? I shouldn't have any clear overspray on the bottom over the primer?

I would imagine applying base over clear is a no-no?

Last edited by damnyankee36; 10-03-2017 at 11:51 AM.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #23
MARTINSR

I didn't read this whole old thread but I believe what I was saying was to paint the whole thing white, then mask off the white for the second color and spray that then clear the second color.

Brian

Old 10-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #24
72HuggerK20

I'm not sure what the tech sheets for Nason say, but with PPG OMNI, tape time is like 40 minutes. Personally, I would base the white, wait however long it tells you to wait to tape it off, base the other color, pull the tape off, wait until the last color has flashed off, and then go in and clear it. Otherwise if you base and clear the white, you have to wait until the clear has cured, then tape it off and sand/scuff right up to your tape in order for the next coating you put on it to adhere. The second way will give you a line that you can feel, too. With a little sanding and buffing, you'll never be able to feel a line where the colors meet doing it the first way. Just my two cents.
72HuggerK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #25
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72HuggerK20 View Post
I'm not sure what the tech sheets for Nason say, but with PPG OMNI, tape time is like 40 minutes. Personally, I would base the white, wait however long it tells you to wait to tape it off, base the other color, pull the tape off, wait until the last color has flashed off, and then go in and clear it. Otherwise if you base and clear the white, you have to wait until the clear has cured, then tape it off and sand/scuff right up to your tape in order for the next coating you put on it to adhere. The second way will give you a line that you can feel, too. With a little sanding and buffing, you'll never be able to feel a line where the colors meet doing it the first way. Just my two cents.

But you have much higher skills than the newbe asking!

Brian