The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
'68 Newtricks

What if I just NOT use the PCV set up?

Like on my SBC, the valve covers just have filters on them.
It seems my engine idles better, returns to idle after blipping the throttle better, and is slightly quieter under the hood. (loud gasping/ sucking sound from PCV hose)

Thing was damn near collapsed when I checked it. Also, I have an inline catch can with filter on it.

Just wondering. The front hose is still connected, but the rear line from the intake is currently plugged. The valve cover is still connected to the canister, aka filter to the elements. So it's just disconnected right now, testing.

I still can't believe there isn't a valve like on the old motors. Damn thing just sucks unabated.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
franken

Re: What if I just NOT use the PCV set up?

The V in PCV is valve, so no idea what your last statement means. Before the PCV engines just vented oily air.
If my mind is working, the PCV system routes nasty air in the engine to the combustion chambers while allowing filtered air to the engine via the other valve cover. Maybe you don't have the filtered air side working?
PCV, like the unvented fuel tank systems are some of the early pollution controls.
franken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:00 PM   #3
'68 Newtricks

Hmmm

I guess my statement goes back to my SBC. It has the little ball valve thing in the cover, then a hose going to the intake.

The LS, when looking up PCV parts, only lists a hose, no valve or control device. This makes me believe that the hose runs to the nipple on the valve cover, under the nipple is nothing. Another reason I believe this.... the hose sucks so much air at idle you can HEAR it lol. Pull one end off and it's a straight vacuum leak, so there's no modulation at the intake side of the hose either.

I feel like it's wasting vacuum, since the "intake" side of the PCV is before the TB blade. If I plug it, vacuum would likely go up.

I though PCV meant "positive crankcase vent" and if the valve was bad, you bought a PCV valve. Dunno
Old 04-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #4
clinebarger

The Valve Cover has a Orifice in it, It IS controlled. You can buy a "Early" Valve Cover that has a provisions for a standard PCV Valve. '99-'02 I believe.

If the hoses are collapsing....Your using the wrong kind of hose! Try Trans Cooler/PS Return Hose. Oil will destroy standard fuel hose.

Without a functioning PCV, Draft Tube, Or Exhaust Evacuation..... Your engine will develop oil leaks. PCV being the BEST counter too Water & Contaminate Build Up in the Oil.

A LS6 Valley Cover (Moves the PCV Orifice or Valve too the Valley Cover) Is one of the best Oil Control solutions for high performance LS Engines.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
The V in PCV is valve, so no idea what your last statement means. Before the PCV engines just vented oily air.
If my mind is working, the PCV system routes nasty air in the engine to the combustion chambers while allowing filtered air to the engine via the other valve cover. Maybe you don't have the filtered air side working?
PCV, like the unvented fuel tank systems are some of the early pollution controls.

Sorry Franken, the "V" in PCV is for "Ventilation", not "Valve".
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote