The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #76
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Re: Is it Just me ? or do any one else notice that the

one thought.. most members dislike change. When change occurs a majority of the members complain non stop about it.

Not saying you do not have a point, just that we are not completely clueless . There is a fine line between it all. All being changes and contentment.

Also, in a niche specific site, the advertising is based on a bit more than that. A truck parts vendor could care less if we have paid consultants, if the traffic stats are not there. Increasing advertising costs is directly associated with how much their ads are seen, not by what a consultant believes is otherwise.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:50 PM   #77
Chevyland

For me, this site is great. It is the only site I visit on trucks
I have been around, for several years, and not to steady at posting
One thing I really like is the "respect" aspect of people posting
I rarely see anyone speaking down to others

With the site being around for so many years, there is only so many times you can ask or answer the same question

Also, there just isn't as many original trucks out there to be bought from cl and other places, so you see less conversation on that

Most of my time has been spent on 67-72 forum or classifieds
Which I have learned so much from the wealth of knowledge on here
I sometimes felt myself not visiting so much anymore
So
I just started venturing out to these other areas where I didn't look before,and it
Opened me up to a whole new area of conversation
(There is so much more here than a thought there was)

Seems like this thread started out as a nice and friendly question, and was getting close to the point of people disrespecting others. I haven't been around long enough to know any of the players or politics.
But
It seems many good points are being discussed

Thanks to all the people who, make this site great, keep listening
And keep up the good work
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:09 AM   #78
Chevyland

Oh. One more thing
Most of my posts revolved around a road trip, which I really wanted to post video, but couldn't
I'm not a techie, but it would have made my story better.

On a motorcycle site I belong to, video can be uploaded with the posts!
Is there a reason this can't ,or doesn't happen here?
Maybe that would ad to the site?
Or does it create other problems?
Thanks, Eric
Old 10-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #79
special-K
Special Order

Hey Eric, thanks for the crisp and clear well worded no BS observations and post. You should be a carpenter, you hit nail heads with great accuracy with no wasted words (unlike me...heh heh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
I see where you're coming from but ignorance is not a valid defense. "Trending" is a word that in this case can mean money -- it's part of how you justify increasing the cost of advertising on your site in order to pay for the maintenance and implementation of new features by skilled coders and admins, and to pay for consultants that can tell you how use that money to increase other words like retention and engagement. You might end up still only making a 30% profit margin, but hey-- 30% of $1m is a whole lot more than 30% of $100k right?

All I know for sure about *this site* is that it feels so much less lively than it did when I joined in 2009. Perhaps we are at peak visitors now as you suggest, but makes the lack of feels all that much more concerning.
I'm not ignorant by any definition of the word. In fact, I think too much, too analytical, long distance foresight, and all that. I am often told this often by others.

The newly created use of the word "trend" as a verb is absolutely all about money and nothing else*. It was created as a marketing device, once social media became such a vital part of so many. If you think about it, I sure have, it was instituted as a means to further grow and perpetuate consumerism...the perceived need to buy for the sake of buying unnecessary gimmicks and products we can easily live without. Most folks out there are followers. In the past, they would see what the movers and shakers would do and want to do what they do and have what they have. This was limited largely to actual exposure. Now that we have this electronic information technology in our hands, that has become an addiction for so many, everybody can be exposed to new things that may never have occurred to them. Marketing as used psychology to manipulate consumers for years...make them feel they need it. And what better way than to make them feel "everyone else is doing it", or "...has one". You know, keeping up with the Jones'. It's a form of brainwashing to get your money. I'm not fine with that. I know who I am and what is right for me. I trust in my judgement. So, personally, I stand back and see "trending" as a means to get into the pockets of fools". Change for the better is fine, no matter how old I get. But change for the sake of change is merely a diversion for fools needing a to fill an empty hole they are too busy following to know what is missing. I realized this at a young age and my life is a result of that. I like what I like and I find in time others like it, too. I feel original thought is a wonderful thing and so is individualism.

This is awful deep for a thread that began to discuss seeing less participation. What I have seen in the time I have been here is when someone first comes here they are jazzed and they participate the most. Then, as they cool off, get jaded (people are so easily jaded these days, hence the success of "trending" <yuck), or get the info they need, they back off or even disappear. It's nothing specific to this site and more about typical modern behavior to me.

*I don't see where this site is struggling for money

And, sorry for the deep post displaying my own personal feelings. It is not a personal attack, I wasn't offended, and I can appreciate others having opposing views. I just have this "set it straight"" need I carry with me and can't seem to shake. I've been trying to be done with this thread. I don't want to see it go raw. Healthy discussion is good.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-14-2016 at 08:10 AM.
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #80
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
Actually, you PMd me, first on Tuesday afternoon and then again today. I did change the title and it did not stick. I saw your other PM this evening and changed it again. I really did not think it required a response, sorry.
Didnt feel like it needed a response? You couldnt of just said "gotcha"? Nothing? If i didnt post here, you wouldnt of noticed that your change didnt work, and nothing would of changed and i would of just thought you were ignoring my request. Thanks for changing it btw.

It baffles my mind that this is the only website i have ever paid money for and its the one that cant be bothered to even pm me back. Bums me out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.

Last edited by lyrikz; 10-14-2016 at 10:11 AM. Reason: WORDDDSSS
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #81
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
participation on this site has not been as much as it was ''say back a couple years?
I mean no disrespect to anyone , and maybe it is more that I miss some of the guys and gals that are not on here any more..
Again this has nothing to do with anyone on here that is new .. I don't want to name names from the years gone by as I might miss one ,, I just miss a bunch of the alumnus.
Well Larry ..you have created quite a stir over your question above.. I'd suggest you stand back and take a long look at things before you post again..

Not sure who made this old saying catchy as it is ,,but if I may borrow it ,,it about says it all ..

"Some days chicken, some days feathers"
Old 10-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #82
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The newly created use of the word "trend" as a verb is absolutely all about money and nothing else*.
Not to beat a dead horse, but there are two meaning for trending and you're thinking of the wrong one here. I'm talking about trending in the sense of "which way is a piece of data statistically moving" vs "what's perceived as 'hot' right now".
Old 10-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #83
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Well Larry ..you have created quite a stir over your question above.. I'd suggest you stand back and take a long look at things before you post again..

Not sure who made this old saying catchy as it is ,,but if I may borrow it ,,it about says it all ..

Hmmmmm. ....that quote sounds vaguely familiar

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #84
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
Didnt feel like it needed a response? You couldnt of just said "gotcha"? Nothing? If i didnt post here, you wouldnt of noticed that your change didnt work, and nothing would of changed and i would of just thought you were ignoring my request. Thanks for changing it btw.

It baffles my mind that this is the only website i have ever paid money for and its the one that cant be bothered to even pm me back. Bums me out.
If you could look at the edit and then look at the post here, you would see that is incorrect. What you don't see is that I have a full time job that is not here, and homeschool my girls, and have a senior in HS, and a 4 year old, as well as take care of a good friends 5 year old and 3 month old due to a life issue. I read PMs and such on my phone, and tend to them between doing things. I bust my ass to keep up here usually at 2am or while feeding the baby or between entering inventory in my store computer. What I do not do is intentionally ignore members of this community. I did not realize that an edit required an answer, thats the truth. Sorry if my wording offended you, but you have your mind made up already. Perhaps if you clicked report a post instead , you would have had someone on it like white on rice. I apologize publicly for this drama. Have a great evening.

Disclaimer: not whining about life, everyone has stuff.. attempting to clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
Oh. One more thing
Most of my posts revolved around a road trip, which I really wanted to post video, but couldn't
I'm not a techie, but it would have made my story better.

On a motorcycle site I belong to, video can be uploaded with the posts!
Is there a reason this can't ,or doesn't happen here?
Maybe that would ad to the site?
Or does it create other problems?
Thanks, Eric
Good question, we use to have the youtube embed. Video hosting is not possible right now and that was the solution at the time. I will ask about this though

Quote:

uhm... i hope

if you dont post, i will wonder.. people will pm saying why is gopapa not posting.. then i will pm you.. and you will pm me and we still wont be posting
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #85
rkn463

Lively discussion! Speaking for me, I love this site. Sure there a tidbit here or there that I would like to change, but why should the world change for me? Most if not all of my feelings have already been posted by others so I will just say thanks to the folks who devote their time to running the board and I miss you to some who don't post any more.

I've also noticed that things have slowed down in my neck of the woods (heavy haulers) so I have been replying to a lot of threads there in an effort to keep things active. I hope no one has perceived me as just being a know-it-all.

Have a great day everyone!

-Richard
Old 10-17-2016, 01:41 AM   #86
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

I don't post as much as I used to, but I"m still around. Being disabled sucks but I"ve learned to live with it. Peace and love to all.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #87
special-K
Special Order

Hey Ron, I'm glad you're hanging out. Some of us who have been here a good while have a whole lot of usedtas we don't feel like going over and over. But we are still here because we like this place. If all that is important to a person is what's the latest "trend", well it's simple to see that next great thing has it's fingers stuck in their nostrils and dragged them off. Their loss, the way I see it. But, many come back once they've seen the grass is no greener on the other side.

I find a good business or product, I keep coming back. Some find the best and keep on shopping each time a need arises. My loyal approach has served me well. Great service continues, prices stay best as possible, they know me and there is a personal connection, and even a freebie from time to time. I could write a book on all my pleasurable experiences with businesses I've dealt with long term. I see these people other places and they ask how life is going? That's how I see this site. If I walked away to follow a trend I'd be leaving a wealth of friendship behind. It's not a plan, it just ends up this way.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-18-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #88
GR8-68

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #89
GR8-68

All I had to do was earn a pay raise and I was back to engulf myself in the parts board....

Where did all the good stuff go to ?

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #90
Dean

I'm still here at least and still have my trucks............lol
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #91
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
All I had to do was earn a pay raise and I was back to engulf myself in the parts board....

Where did all the good stuff go to ?
67-72 trucks just aren't as plentiful as they used to be. I too used to be on the parts board a lot, buying. Now I don't see near as many parts, or trucks being parted. One of my good friends has parted these trucks for years, whenever we speak over the last year. I always ask, (find any good ones lately?) he now always says,(they just aren't out there like they used to be!)
Nothing lasts forever.
Just like all the muscle cars 20 or so years ago, they all got bought up. You are hard pressed to find one unrestored. At least there are still some trucks out there, to be found, unrestored. But I bet in the not so distant future. They too will be all bought up.

It feels to me like these 67-72 trucks followed that same trend as muscle cars. They were just sought after a couple decades later. Let's be thankful there were so many built, that there was plenty to go around.
Maybe these are some of the reasons it feels different around here?

I keep wondering, will the square body's ever be collected as much. Or were they even built in the quantities that 67-72s were. Whenever I look for them being sold, I don't see to many available.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #92
AbigailAmelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Why do you think we drug you back here Larry?

Id have to say its not the sites fault. Its the proliferation of Facebook, Instagram, and a bazillion other sites like them. Stuff is getting spread out and watered down.
Hello,
I'm new here, and new to owning a truck, and I think this entire site is great. I joined a few Facebook pages for Squarebodies and GMCs, and they are no where NEAR the quality of this site! This site's organization, moderators, and level of knowledge make it a great resource and just plain fun reading!

Thanks for being here!

Michelle
===============
1977 GMC K25 Sierra Classic Long bed "Abigail Amelia"
1986 Jeep CJ7, 1973 Chevy K5 Blazer (Hubby's projects)
AbigailAmelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #93
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailAmelia View Post
Hello,
I'm new here, and new to owning a truck, and I think this entire site is great. I joined a few Facebook pages for Squarebodies and GMCs, and they are no where NEAR the quality of this site! This site's organization, moderators, and level of knowledge make it a great resource and just plain fun reading!

Thanks for being here!

Michelle
Hi Michelle ,,you just made my day ,,now I am happy for starting this posting ,, glad you joined in and you are exactly right about the site. some very good moderators and the best owners there are to be..

Ask anything about your Truck and I can guarantee you that you will be answered and with the correct answers,, again Welcome ..we have a few gals on here and to have another is refreshing ..
Old 10-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #94
special-K
Special Order

Hey AbigailAmelia, that's great perspective to hear. Us long timers have to wonder if we are being biased, like we decided we like this place no matter what. But hearing the same thing we are saying from a fairly fresh member speaks volumes. Thanks for posting.

And welcome to the site!

Tim

Old 10-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #95
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Hi Michelle ,,you just made my day ,,now I am happy for starting this posting ,, glad you joined in and you are exactly right about the site. some very good moderators and the best owners there are to be..

Ask anything about your Truck and I can guarantee you that you will be answered and with the correct answers,, again Welcome ..we have a few gals on here and to have another is refreshing ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Hey AbigailAmelia, that's great perspective to hear. Us long timers have to wonder if we are being biased, like we decided we like this place no matter what. But hearing the same thing we are saying from a fairly fresh member speaks volumes. Thanks for posting.

And welcome to the site!
X3 and welcome AbigaiAmelia...

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #96
Willie Makeit

older members turning every post into a debate or pissing-match turns off a lot of folks too. i can honestly say that this is not the action of the majority of members here but seems to be limited to 4-5 folks.

we (me included) should be helpful to one another or just simply move on by hitting the "back" button. no need to argue in an attempt to prove you are right and someone else is wrong in every dang post you participate in.

just saying (from a newer guy's perspective)
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #97
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
older members turning every post into a debate or pissing-match turns off a lot of folks too. i can honestly say that this is not the action of the majority of members here but seems to be limited to 4-5 folks.

we (me included) should be helpful to one another or just simply move on by hitting the "back" button. no need to argue in an attempt to prove you are right and someone else is wrong in every dang post you participate in.

just saying (from a newer guy's perspective)
+1, thanks for pointing that out
Old 10-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #98
AbigailAmelia

Hi again,

I was thinking some more about what makes this site so appealing for me.

A) Most obviously, who the heck else am I going to talk to about my truck?! My hubby, sure, but I know so little about my truck that the conversations are pretty short. You're my "Truck Peeps." I mostly tell him about YOUR trucks! And there's no Wine and '77 GMC Ladies Clubs around here. :^)

B) The truck builds are like diaries. Why/when they got the truck, but then it snowed, and then there were kids, and then... How Scarlet got her name, or the truck named after the dog (Walter?). And members like Jigme who have Giving Trees in their garages! This site is holding years of really personal stories. I have the site pinned on my cell phone screen for easy access in free moments. These stories have a continuity that social media posts absolutely lack.

C) Despite an auto shop class and attempting to disassemble a Chevy small block in my condo's garage, my knowledge bank is very low. So when a member replies and says something about the
"dropped shackle hanger in the rear instead of blocks," I have to go Google that and then I know the name of one more part on my rolling puzzle.

I see several new members signing on weekly, by the way. Maybe they're in the newer truck sections though, as I mostly live in the 73-87 Squarebody build section.

:^)

Michelle
===============
1977 GMC K25 Sierra Classic Long bed "Abigail Amelia"
1986 Jeep CJ7, 1973 Chevy K5 Blazer (Hubby's projects)
AbigailAmelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #99
jeepbut

I have enjoyed being here 15 years and look about 3 times a month or so. My post count would indicate I don't feel the need to post "Good job" every time someone pounds a dent out of a fender, but this is a great place to learn how to pound the dent out of the fender. I like it here because I learn new things. This site really does not feel any different than when I got here. Thanks for keeping it available.
jeepbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:11 AM   #100
raggedjim

I've been on this site for awhile, a paying member for most of the time. I've been on the internet even longer. I've tried other sites for trucks, I've seen them come and go. I truly believe (and hope) this site will still be active in 10-20 years. I think crakarjax may even still be on here trying to get free advertising... I'm glad some things never change.

Good luck to all, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote