The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
belldar

Radiator advice please

My 6.2 diesel radiator for my 88 1-ton build was shot so I am looking for other options. I would like to find something really close or the same as the 6.2 radiator that was in it. I am building a 496 for the truck to replace the 6.2 and would like at least the have the transmission cooler part of the rad for my TH400. Also wouldn't mind still having the engine oil cooler my 6.2 rad had! Going with a larger oil pan but the more capacity for the 496 I ink the better, but not a deal breaker.
There are a lot of aftermarket rad companies out there and I am not sure who to go with and can not find a strong enough( at least in my opinion)factory replacement (aluminum/plastic) to fit. Do I special order one or hope to find a decent 454 rad with trains lines?
The truck will be a torque monster, not much pulling, badlands hunting, maybe a few mud runs truck. Don't want to have regrets but at the same time don't want to bust the bank!
Thanks!
FYI the truck in question is the one in my sig
14 bolt rear, 60 front
4.56 gears, 6 inch lift
35inch dynapro MTs, pro comp 52 16x8 2.5 backspace
belldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Radiator advice please

I don't know about your 6.2 diesel, but my 83 C20 454 cools fine with a plastic/aluminum Spectra radiator. I have a SM465 transmission, but I think the Spectra radiator had provisions for transmission lines. I live in 115 degree HotZona and my truck never overheats, unless I have a bad water pump or leak somewhere.

The local A/C shop I took my truck to said that my stock oil cooler and DIY extra pusher fan for the condenser blocked too much air flowing through the condenser, so maybe you want to rethink the oil cooler.

I always bought copper/brass radiators but at around $500 now they are not worth the price. Those copper/brass radiators also sprung leaks every couple of years with only light use, so I like aluminum/plastic ones now. My radiator is only two rows but seems thicker than most tow row radiators.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
belldar

That's interesting. We end up changing many aluminum/plastic radiators up here. Don't know if it's a combo of extreme cold -20plus and extreme heat 110 today. But they seem to crack and leak often. Also a lot of wash board and pounding roads. I may have to look more into a Baja or racing application for what I drive in. Thanks for the insight!
14 bolt rear, 60 front
4.56 gears, 6 inch lift
Old 07-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

I used Champion, couldn't stand the thought of a plastic tank unit to I ordered one of theirs. It's a good quality aluminum radiator.

http://www.championradiators.com
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
belldar

Thanks for the advise. I looked up and read some reviews on the Champion radiators and there are a lot of negative reviews about lots of leaking and replacing and more replacing for the same leak problem. I would rather have to spend a bit more for a stronger radiator that will hold up to washboard and other abuse. Not sure Champion will fit the bill.
14 bolt rear, 60 front
4.56 gears, 6 inch lift
Old 07-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #6
DieselSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57NAPCO View Post
I used Champion, couldn't stand the thought of a plastic tank unit to I ordered one of theirs. It's a good quality aluminum radiator.

http://www.championradiators.com
Still looks like they are old-school using small tubes for the cores. Newer style 2-big-cores outcool the old 4 small core styles.

If you want a great quality radiator, look up Ron Davis. That is who supplies them for a lot of the desert race guys and his are all 2 core.

The Spectra aluminum/plastic are 2 core, with the tubes being about an inch wide. They work great.

If you want the best...
http://www.rondavisradiators.com/radgallery.htm#Chevy
Bring your checkbook, and probably an arm and leg too.

Last edited by DieselSJ; 07-19-2017 at 04:23 PM.
DieselSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
st1

Don't discount your local rad shop. I seen those shops put together some quality stuff when asked. just a thought.

78 GMC Stepside (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=243201)
06 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T
05 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
st1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #8
belldar

I have Really been looking at the RD radiators but I am scared to see how much they are but that probably is my best option. I wouldn't even be looking but we had a great local guy that was a radiator genius who recently passed away. I drug my feet too long at taking it in or I wouldn't be in this mess. I was a very valuable guy to all around.
14 bolt rear, 60 front
4.56 gears, 6 inch lift
Old 07-20-2017, 12:01 AM   #9
Greenlee

I was against buying the new cheap looking plastic / aluminum radiators when I was looking for a replacement radiator for my truck. It just didn't seem right putting that in an old truck that came from the factory with a brass / copper radiator. I finally broke down and bought one anyway because that's pretty much all that's available from parts stores these days.

I have had it in the truck a couple of years now and I couldn't be happier! My temperature gauge used to rise when I was pulling a trailer or pushing the truck. The truck runs cool now no matter how hard I push it. The one I bought is equivalent to a 4 core, but instead it has two large cores. It doesn't look original, but it performs very well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. It was about 1/3 the price of the fancy all aluminum radiators, which seemed to have mixed reviews when I was looking.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
daddyjeep

I have a Champion in my rock crawler and was hesitant at first because of the same bad reviews you have read, but learned that the reviews were old and their quality control had improved. I have been running it about 3 years now without issue. I recently put a plastic radiator in my K30 only because I needed it now and it has been working just fine for my 454.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
tucsonjwt

If the Champion radiator has a pressed in overflow tube I would not buy it. My neighbor has one and it leaked where it was attached to the radiator. He had to cobble up a threaded fitting and elbow to stop the leak.

For about $100 I would try the aluminum/plastic radiator. I don't know why a cold climate would cause a problem. Perhaps the coolant is not compatible with aluminum/plastic radiator. It gets below freezing in the winter here but not below zero, unless you are in the higher elevations. New vehicles all have plastic/aluminum radiators and I have not heard of a lot of them leaking in cold climates. My 2002 Cavalier beater needed a replacement of its original plastic/aluminum radiator last year after about 140,000 miles, and it was in Colorado Springs for much of its life.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote