The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
loujizzel

Help me! Please

Okay I have a 73 C10 square body short bed when I purchased it it was already lowered it has Western chassis 2.5 inch drop spindles up front and the flip kit in the rear and it's down about maybe 6 or 7 inches in the rear the front was slightly higher than the rear when I looked at the springs they had spring spacers in the springs one of them or two of them were heated really poor wor.... so what I did was I ordered a set of 3 inch drop Springs and a brand new set of nitro drop shocks for the front I had the upper and lower control arm poly bushed with energy suspension bushings I just had it all installed and now the front is sitting even higher than it was before granted the springs that it had were warned and not stiff the new front Springs are definitely stiff and I know they need to settle but it is sitting way too high what could be the problem? If my math is right with a 3 inch drop spring and a 2.5 drop spindle I should be down five and a half inches I'm nowhere near that..... any ideas why I'm not low upfront the only thing I could think of is the bushings are super tight since they're polyurethane or they put the spring on upside down I have no idea I'm just grasping for straws I want to and I guess the only other alternative is to actually cut the spring not what I want to do
Attached Images

loujizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #2
loujizzel

Re: Help me! Please

Here it is....urgh not the stance im thought it would be
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #3
SCOTI

Were the a-arm bushings tightened w/the suspension extended or w/the trucks full weight on the tires?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
loujizzel

The upper and lower arms were removed
Old 07-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
loujizzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Were the a-arm bushings tightened w/the suspension extended or w/the trucks full weight on the tires?
Extended and completely off the truck
Old 07-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
sweetk30

Quote:
re read his info . poly bushed . this would not matter . now if it was still rubber that is a good point you posted.
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:02 PM   #7
loujizzel

My apologies I stand corrected after doing some research on the stock height of a 73 C10 which is about 33 and 1/2 - 34 inches from the ground to the top of the fender well and now I am at just under 29 inches from the floor to the top of the fender so in fact I am down 5 inches I guess I have to cut the spring in order to get down to about 25 inches I think that's where I want to be
Old 07-17-2017, 11:50 PM   #8
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

what size front tire you running
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:22 AM   #9
loujizzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
what size front tire you running
There 15 all the way around but i so want 20s in the future
Old 07-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
re read his info . poly bushed . this would not matter . now if it was still rubber that is a good point you posted.
It still matters as poly bushings can also bind. Bushings should be final tightened w/full weight on the suspension. The exception might be Delrin or spherical rod type set-ups.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #11
loujizzel

Quote:
It still matters as poly bushings can also bind. Bushings should be final tightened w/full weight on the suspension. The exception might be Delrin or spherical rod type set-ups.
You maybe possibly correct because they tighten it while the vehicle was in the air not while it was on the ground.... so are you saying I may be able to loosen the upper and lower control arm while the vehicles on the ground and retighten
Old 07-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #12
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

I know they are 15s but what is the tire size
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #13
loujizzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
I know they are 15s but what is the tire size
Oh 60 series. ... i research and it looks like I have to loosen the A-Arms lower the truck down and retighten them with the weight of the vehicle if that doesn't work I don't know what will
Old 07-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #14
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujizzel View Post
My apologies I stand corrected after doing some research on the stock height of a 73 C10 which is about 33 and 1/2 - 34 inches from the ground to the top of the fender well and now I am at just under 29 inches from the floor to the top of the fender so in fact I am down 5 inches I guess I have to cut the spring in order to get down to about 25 inches I think that's where I want to be
Cutting your 3" drop springs to get an additional 4" of drop to get to your 25" mark is a huge drop on a spring. I've seen plenty of trucks dropped on spindles plus 2-3" drop springs that sit nice with no wheel gap. I would still suspect something isn't quite right with yours because it looks high.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
You maybe possibly correct because they tighten it while the vehicle was in the air not while it was on the ground.... so are you saying I may be able to loosen the upper and lower control arm while the vehicles on the ground and retighten
Correct. This is how it should be done. But like anything, it's prob done more than one way. Many think Poly bushings pivot, they don't (aren't meant to pivot). There just a harder/more dense version of the rubber bushing they're replacing.

Delrin & Spherical type joints have machined specific tolerances thus bind free but I would still even tighten them to yield w/the vehicles weight.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #16
loujizzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
Cutting your 3" drop springs to get an additional 4" of drop to get to your 25" mark is a huge drop on a spring. I've seen plenty of trucks dropped on spindles plus 2-3" drop springs that sit nice with no wheel gap. I would still suspect something isn't quite right with yours because it looks high.
Well from everything I've been reading on the internet polyurethane bushings may have some binding issues I did notice that they tightened up the upper and lower control arms with the truck in the air so I am going to loosen the upper and lower control arm and lower the truck weight on the A-Arms and see if that will bring the truck down and if it does I will tighten it and problem solved if not I don't know what it could be
Old 07-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Well from everything I've been reading on the internet polyurethane bushings may have some binding issues I did notice that they tightened up the upper and lower control arms with the truck in the air so I am going to loosen the upper and lower control arm and lower the truck weight on the A-Arms and see if that will bring the truck down and if it does I will tighten it and problem solved if not I don't know what it could be
Also.... It could be that the drop springs you put in aren't the correct spring (it wouldn't be a first). I always opt to use drop spindles w/the original coils first (w/1-coil removed). Then, if I feel the spring rate is too soft for the drop, I swap to a higher rate spring w/similar dimensions. I've never used an aftermarket 'drop' coil unless they provide me w/the springs rate. Most 'kits' don't provide the info; aftermarket spring providers will.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #18
loujizzel

Quote:
Also.... It could be that the drop springs you put in aren't the correct spring (it wouldn't be a first). I always opt to use drop spindles w/the original coils first (w/1-coil removed). Then, if I feel the spring rate is too soft for the drop, I swap to a higher rate spring w/similar dimensions. I've never used an aftermarket 'drop' coil unless they provide me w/the springs rate. Most 'kits' don't provide the info; aftermarket spring providers will.
Spring sits in there perfectly I checked it way before they even installed it but I will find out shortly when I go home today and loosen the A-Arms and try to let the weight of the vehicle bring the truck down if that doesn't work I think I'm going to cut a coil off or two
Old 07-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #19
loujizzel

I have two sets of 3 inch drop Springs if I need to cut one then I will
Old 07-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #20
SCOTI

Quote:
Spring sits in there perfectly I checked it way before they even installed it but I will find out shortly when I go home today and loosen the A-Arms and try to let the weight of the vehicle bring the truck down if that doesn't work I think I'm going to cut a coil off or two
Wrong spring = supposed to be a 3" drop springs but maybe whomever packaged it grabbed 1" drop springs instead (early Mondays or late on Friday's are notorious for this issue). Verify the dimensions w/the manufacturer.

If you have to cut aftermarket drop coils, you don't have the right springs. If you still choose to cut them, I would not cut more than 1-coil.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #21
loujizzel

Quote:
Wrong spring = supposed to be a 3" drop springs but maybe whomever packaged it grabbed 1" drop springs instead (early Mondays or late on Friday's are notorious for this issue). Verify the dimensions w/the manufacturer.

If you have to cut aftermarket drop coils, you don't have the right springs. If you still choose to cut them, I would not cut more than 1-coil.
That may be true the possibility of something like that happening is it far-fetched at all disgruntled employees and all I'm pretty sure they're three inch drop but regardless even if they weren't even if they sent me just a one inch drop it should still be sitting lower than what it is now I'm at work now but I can't wait to go home Jack the truck up losing everything and set it back down I might even go drive with it loose see if that will help it settle some had I known Polly bush would be like this I would have never gotten them I would have just put in regular OEM bushings
Old 07-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
That may be true the possibility of something like that happening is it far-fetched at all disgruntled employees and all I'm pretty sure they're three inch drop but regardless even if they weren't even if they sent me just a one inch drop it should still be sitting lower than what it is now I'm at work now but I can't wait to go home Jack the truck up losing everything and set it back down I might even go drive with it loose see if that will help it settle some had I known Polly bush would be like this I would have never gotten them I would have just put in regular OEM bushings
Take/verify dimensions.
Loosen the hardware.
Open the hood.
Stand on the front bumper while holding onto the front edge of the hood for balance & give it H#@L. Get some movement going.
Re-check the dimensions.
Re-tighten hardware w/the suspension compressed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #23
loujizzel

Quote:
Take/verify dimensions.
Loosen the hardware.
Open the hood.
Stand on the front bumper while holding onto the front edge of the hood for balance & give it H#@L. Get some movement going.
Re-check the dimensions.
Re-tighten hardware w/the suspension compressed.
Yes I'm going to try that tactic along with driving it off the curb but I think the first thing I will try is lifting it up with the floor jack and letting it down fast see what happens of course after I loosen the top and bottom A-Arms
Old 07-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #24
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Do you have a picture of the drop spindle?
I just went through this with another guy and he actually had stock height spindles not the drop spindles the previous owner told him that were under the truck.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #25
loujizzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Do you have a picture of the drop spindle?
I just went through this with another guy and he actually had stock height spindles not the drop spindles the previous owner told him that were under the truck.
That might be a possibility I don't know how to tell if it's a drop spindle all I know is when I was under the truck the spindle said Western chassis on it