The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #26
72 Super

Re: Post your "one that got away"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Great ideafor a thread Mark... I can't say definitively about a truck although this one didn't get away, I regretfully sold it after buying it very reasonably from EBay. 1969 Black CST with 3OTT with Overdrive, A/C and the one year only gorgeous dark maroon interior.

Now the all time one that got away from me , my stupidity of course, was a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner Factory yellow Convertible ( 2200 Road Runner convertibles produced that year) with black bucket seats/console, 383 and 4 sped manual with ( the Mopar guys with get this one ) 2 Fender Tags of options. That was in 1989 and let it go cause I had my head up my a** and after getting the seller down 2000 from his asking price I let it go cause he wouldn't come down another 500.00 About 2 weeks after the initial meet I came to my senses and called the guy back and was going to take it but, well of course it was sold.
Man that one was sweet!
Old 02-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #27
pryorstemmed
4wd Enthusiast

This 72 Cheyenne super K20 was for sale a couple years ago in WA. I have wanted a 4wd Super deluxe two tone in medium green and white, forever. While I was dealing with my bank to get a loan, it sold. I have not seen one since. ��
Attached Images

*1970 Olds 442 W-30 M-21 4-speed
*1978 Ford F250 4x4 Ranger-Explorer-Camper Special Marti Report: 1 of 1
*1986 K30 Silverado Crew Cab 502/TH400
*2002 Silverado LT 2500 Duramax Long bed Crew Cab 4x4 107K original miles
*2022 RAM Bighorn 1500 Waldoch edition ...Daily Driver
pryorstemmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:44 AM   #28
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

The one i regret for not buying was the 1972 chevy 1 ton Riverside CA NASCAR wrecker it was the dovetail for $1000.00 it was White with red interior it was a 402 ac auto trans blown up so it was sitting in peaces on the bed.One of my regrets or many.

It had all the markings of Riverside Internal Raceway on the doors and on the bed.It had 2 of them red strobes lights on top of the roof.

Just think if i had that> would be having NASCAR showing up to my door step with a blank check.That thing would of been in the the NASCAR hall of Fame.My lose
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:17 AM   #29
bbrriiaann1973

My father purchased the 70 c10 that I have now when I was 5 days old. That was about 45 years ago and the one thing that I have never understood is why people get rid of classic cars and trucks? Then they end up regretting it for the rest of their life.

I decided when I was a very young man that no matter what I would never get rid of my truck.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #30
tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 View Post
My father purchased the 70 c10 that I have now when I was 5 days old. That was about 45 years ago and the one thing that I have never understood is why people get rid of classic cars and trucks? Then they end up regretting it for the rest of their life.

I decided when I was a very young man that no matter what I would never get rid of my truck.
Brian: You are wise beyond your years....
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:45 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

I couldn't come up with just one last night when I first saw this. One thing is, I think of "one that got away" as one I didn't act on, coulda woulda shoulda. I guess that's just me, but after some thought the one I "let go" with greatest regrets would have to be my '71 Cheyenne Custom Camper with matching camper. I was second owner, bought on election day '88, and owned till '04 when I parted it out. Very clean for a PA truck, no rust even thinking about starting...except bubbles on the tool & stowage door. It had original split rims with 5 matching tires, but I ran right out and put 8.25/9.75 aluminum slots on for a period correct look. The wood floor looked like it had never been outdoors, so I had a tonneau cover made for when the camper was off, and to add to the period correct theme.

That first summer my wife flew with my daughter to NM. I grabbed up my dad and son and all three generations struck out in the Custom Camper. My dad stayed back with my sister (Taos) and used my X's ticket to get back home while the family headed north. Ended up in Chama, NM where they had just put the old Cumbres-Toltec railway into operation and we hopped aboard. West to Mesa Verde, Painted Desert, on down to Flagstaff where I had lived. North Rim, Oak Creek Canyon, Petrified Forest, etc, and on back cross-country. Not three years later my sister passed on. So I was really glad to have sprung this trip on my dad. In the years to come, we made many stories in that truck up and down the East Coast and S/E.

It got to where my X was planning vacations that didn't involve the camper and it was getting little use for that. I had to put the ladder racks on and use it one winter when I had major problems with my regular work truck. The thin white paint grew surface rust, The back of the cab had unfortunate damage from a mishap that pushed the bed into it, was barely detectable, but bothered me a ton. I had bought a rust free cab and planned to restore the truck. My interests had turned to outfitting the '72 K2500 with a low-profile pop-up with no tail overhang so it could tow bikes and haul kayaks on top for a more adventure oriented camper for my son and I. I was aching for a cool little short bed. I had a '72 6cyl/3spd nothing special SWB and decided to donate the Custom Camper to create a Cheyenne SWB. Parted the camper out, wife left after screwing up finances big time, sold the SWB, and decided to use what I had to build the '67 project.

So it wasn't long after it was parted the whole thing fell apart and this has to be one of my greatest truck regrets. The truck was still in great shape, just not perfect. I had deep family history in it, never got the things t come of parting it, and if I stll had it I'd be using the crap out of it
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #32
bbrriiaann1973

My father purchased the 70 c10 that I have now when I was 5 days old. That was about 45 years ago and the one thing that I have never understood is why people get rid of classic cars and trucks? Then they end up regretting it for the rest of their life.*

You are wise beyond your years....

I had some tough years and there were times that I could afford to work on it or fix it or hell even drive it. During those moments I had to put it in the back yard and just let it sit. But I knew I would work two or three jobs instead of selling the truck. I got plenty of offers but I always turned them down.

One that got away, I went to go look at a 72 blazer and it was a old guy on his death bed and he was getting rid of all of his stuff before he died. Well I showed up and looked at it and told him I will be back after I stop off at the bank. I go to the bank and come back with cashiers check and I was to late in the time it took another person came by with cash and it was gone! It was probably worth 15k at the time selling it for 8k.

Had I just taken 8k out of my account and took it with me I would still have it today
Old 02-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #33
dave6672

Several years ago a 1968 C20 showed up on CL about 25 miles from my house for $3300. It was a one owner (the son of the original owner, who had passed away, was selling it), clean, 63,000 mile, 327 4 spd truck. Red with a saddle/tan interior. I debated about calling, and then a few days later it was down to $2500. I went to look at it. It had only a few pin holes in the rockers and was a very clean truck, especially for KY. Just needed a little bit of minor repairs. I didn't have the space at home, so I passed. To this day, I think about that truck often. I hate it when my practicality flares up.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #34
robs71

I had this ramp truck for a few years..put it on racingjunk for sale for a stupid price thinking it would not sell..got a call from Ken Schrader..he ended up buying..sent one of his employees to pick it up..put his Camaro on the back and down south it went..2 years went by and I found out it had been traded at Hodges haulers..bought it back again...a local racer had interest in it..at the time my 64 was in need off some serious $$ to get back on the track..i named a price and he bit......so for a second time I let it go..........hopefully 3rd is a charm.......
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2018, 09:58 PM   #35
Yellowknife

This was my car when I was 20. I bought a 71 chevelle from a buddy that was going to jail for dui. It was a 396 4 speed car, lime green. I bought it off him for $200 so he could buy a few cartons of smokes to take with him. I was going to sell him back the car when He got out but I had wheels for the summer which was cool. Well not long after I got the car I traded it for the 1966 chevelle malibu ss 396 4 speed. I drove it for about 6 months when I got a job in a gold mine. Since I was going to be making the big bucks I sold the 66 for $200. I quit the mine job 2 weeks later and had no car. I tracked the car down a about 2 years ago in Alberta and the owner wanted 70k for it.
I hate myself.
Attached Images

Yellowknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #36
robs71

Sometimes they come back...........In 1988 I was working in Hershey Pa for the family plumbing business.At lunch I walked over to the Local chevy dealership.They had just gotten in a 89 short bed with buckets/console in a very nice color combo..My daily was a 71 Cheyenne..I thought at the time this truck was something I wanted..After 6 months of payments I had enough.Put it up for sale and my stepfather bought it.29 years later he is unable to drive anymore.Family gave me first shot so I purchased it back this week with only 70k on the clock.My heart is with the 67-72 trucks but being the first new vehicle I ever owned I thought it would be cool to have back and use as a knock around truck,Rob.........
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2018, 12:52 AM   #37
wesmigletz

I bought this while I was in the Army and sold it before my last deployment in the fall of 2012. My wife and son flew in to WA from CA to drive it home before I left. I tuned it up, new fuel filter, oil, trans fluid/filter, etc. The truck started cutting out bad, and along the way, I replaced the rubber gas hose at the tank and the fuel pump. Module failed outside redwood, changed it, fired up, but it was still cutting out. Long drive at 45-50 mph... changed the fuel filter when I got back to CA, fixed it. The new filter I put on right before the trip was blocked and just had a tiny opening. My wife was stressed about it causing her problems while I was gone.

I advertised it. A younger guy wanted, but couldn't come-up with the money. My wife said keep it, but I gave him a break and sold it to him. be cause he swore he always wanted one and had been saving a long time, and that he was going to drive it and fix it up. I dropped the price to $4200 for him. A few weeks later while in Kandahar, I stopped by the computer tent while waiting for my flight to Panjawai, and checked CL to kill some time. I saw it advertised for $6800. I was on the fence about selling, and the guy was a hell of an actor... it would still be mine except for that POS Fram metal fuel filter I put on before we left.

I haven't seen one as nice as mine for less the $15,000.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #38
Benjamin

The Blue Bomb. A 1972 Shortbed Stepside. I got it in the fall of 1996 for $1800, and I was the 3rd owner. The original owner had installed a 250 inline 6 GM crate motor a few years before I got it, and it had about 10k miles on it. The 2nd owner installed a new-used 3 speed transmission (3 on the tree) at some point during the few years they had it. It had dents in every body panel, except the hood. One of the cab corners was rusted through and had been patched with a coffee can, but as best as I can remember everything else, including rockers, was pretty solid. Interior was plain, but very clean. It had a claxon, also known as the "a-rooo-ga" horn. I drove it 20 miles each way to school every day of my senior year, occasionally getting the speedo around to the 1-0-0 line.

This photo was taken the day of my senor prom in 1997, and we didn't have a limo, just an old blue truck.

On a rainy night in the fall of 1997 I got t-boned in the passenger side by a one-ton ford, smashed the cab and bent the frame. I sold the motor to a co-worker and The Blue Bomb went to the junkyard.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #39
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I watched this truck for years. 67 CST with buddy buckets. It sat in an alley around the corner from my house. I never saw anyone at the house to ask about it. And the place was fenced in. So I would just cruise by hoping to see someone.

Then I saw a For Sale sign in the window one day. I called several times and got no answer. No answering machine or voicemail. Nothing.

Finally after a few days of this a guy picked up the phone. He had sold it for $1200. I was too late despite my best efforts. And I was surprised because you couldn't see it from the street.

This truck looked pretty straight and would have cleaned up nicely. I'm sure the bed was in great shape because the topper looked like it had always been there it was hard to tell because there was stuff in there.

It still bugs me.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:32 AM   #40
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I watched this truck for years. 67 CST with buddy buckets. It sat in an alley around the corner from my house. I never saw anyone at the house to ask about it. And the place was fenced in. So I would just cruise by hoping to see someone.

Then I saw a For Sale sign in the window one day. I called several times and got no answer. No answering machine or voicemail. Nothing.

Finally after a few days of this a guy picked up the phone. He had sold it for $1200. I was too late despite my best efforts. And I was surprised because you couldn't see it from the street.

This truck looked pretty straight and would have cleaned up nicely. I'm sure the bed was in great shape because the topper looked like it had always been there it was hard to tell because there was stuff in there.

It still bugs me.

Wow that’s rough. That even bugs me!

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:12 AM   #41
a1vintage69

Well, If I had to pick one it would be my 69 Z22 X11 Convertible. I sold it a few years ago to give my wife the kitchen I promised her for 40 years. I also had some funds left over to get into the 71-72 Cheyenne truck scene. It took a while but I was able to work my way up to one of the most beautiful trucks made in 1972. The hard to find Cheyenne Super Custom Camper 4x4 K20. But I want to pay my house off before I retire and might have to clear the corral. I know I will never find another Super like this one, it hurts just thinking about it.
Attached Images

a1vintage69 is online now   Reply With Quote