The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #26
66_c10_tpi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Georgetown,IL
Posts: 45
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

The truck is a 1970. I will try to post a picture but have not done it before. Hope it works.
Attached Images
 
66_c10_tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #27
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,087
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrycurt View Post
This is missing from my setup and my wipers don't park when I turn them off. When running a new ground strap, where did you guys attach it to the motor? Can I just attach it to anywhere on the wiper motor that offers a good spot of bare metal?

Thanks for this useful thread and the help with the wipers!
This ground attachment is kind of built into the wiper mounting pads so you may be overlooking it. Remember that the wiper switch has to be grounded good too or the wipers won't work right.

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #28
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,087
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66_c10_tpi View Post
The truck is a 1970. I will try to post a picture but have not done it before. Hope it works.
It came through fine.... Plug the double black connector onto the two center terminals and the single black connector to the terminal on the left in the picture. The extra terminal on the right side is for the earlier trucks. (before '67)

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-09-2018 at 02:54 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
pritch
Senior Member
 
pritch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hoytsville, Utah
Posts: 3,215
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

I just got done using these instructions to bench test a wiper motor and it was a breeze! I took some pictures of a little wire harness I made up for it:

Red wire to the hot terminal, black to motor housing, with a leg off with a spade connector.



With the red and black to a 12v source and the white jumper on both terminals, this is run slow:



Just like above, but with the jumper off, is run high:



Jumper connected again, but black (ground) off, return to park:



Thanks to LockDoc for this thread!
__________________
'68 Panel
Project Boogie Chillin'
'68 C-10
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #30
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,087
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

-
Thanks. Glad you found it useful. I keep a small motorcycle battery around to test them with. It doesn't take much.

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #31
racerx8413
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Parker CO
Posts: 83
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Where does the windshield washer pump play into this? in the pictures above, the 2 terminals, what should go there? I'm running an aftermarket wiring harness, so doing a lot of this from scratch.

Also, while the wiper motor terminals are clear, but what goes to what, from the switch?

my switch has the 3 terminals, 1 high, 2 low, same with the wiper motor.
_ 1 goes to ?

_ 2 goes to ?
_ 3 goes to ?


and on the wiper motor,

_ 1, 2, or 3?

_ 1, 2 or 3?
_ Power

_? _ ? on the backside of the pump

I'm also assuming that the washer function gets jumpered in here somewhere?

Last edited by racerx8413; 09-18-2013 at 06:05 PM.
racerx8413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #32
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,087
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx8413 View Post
Where does the windshield washer pump play into this? in the pictures above, the 2 terminals, what should go there? I'm running an aftermarket wiring harness, so doing a lot of this from scratch.

Also, while the wiper motor terminals are clear, but what goes to what, from the switch?

my switch has the 3 terminals, 1 high, 2 low, same with the wiper motor.
_ 1 goes to ?

_ 2 goes to ?
_ 3 goes to ?


and on the wiper motor,

_ 1, 2, or 3?

_ 1, 2 or 3?
_ Power

_? _ ? on the backside of the pump

I'm also assuming that the washer function gets jumpered in here somewhere?

This thread might help with the wiring.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584603

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #33
sjburk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alvord, TX
Posts: 18
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

I recently bought a new two speed wiper for my 67 gmc and it worked fine when I tested it before install. Ever since I put it in it will not work. I do not have the washer motor on the wiper motor because I didn't think it mattered and I checked the voltage and there is 12 volts everywhere in the circuit all the way to the wires that plug into the switch. The only thing I haven't done is tested the switch with an ohm meter because I do not know how. Could you please explain exactly what you mean by that i do have a dmm so I can if i know how. And any other suggestions to try are welcome
__________________
1967 GMC C1500 1/2 ton I6 250ci
sjburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #34
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,087
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjburk View Post
I recently bought a new two speed wiper for my 67 gmc and it worked fine when I tested it before install. Ever since I put it in it will not work. I do not have the washer motor on the wiper motor because I didn't think it mattered and I checked the voltage and there is 12 volts everywhere in the circuit all the way to the wires that plug into the switch. The only thing I haven't done is tested the switch with an ohm meter because I do not know how. Could you please explain exactly what you mean by that i do have a dmm so I can if i know how. And any other suggestions to try are welcome

The washer would not make a difference as long as all of the original wiring was there... Is the switch installed in the dash and the nut tightened up? It has to be to work because that is where the circuit gets it's ground. As far as testing the switch, unplug the connector from the switch and set the meter to the lowest ohm setting, which should be 20k ohm. Turn the wiper switch to the low position and touch one of the leads to the switch body and the other lead to one or the other of the connectors. You should get a reading when you touch the low speed connector (I can't remember which is which). Then turn the switch to the high setting and touch the other connector you should get a reading. In the off position you should not get a reading.

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-02-2014 at 10:04 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #35
JennCat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wichita Ks
Posts: 40
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

This has been an excellent read. I have gutted the dash on my '70 and cleaned it up, replacing some of the switches. Presently I have a two speed wiper setup with a push in wash.

I would like to replace the switch such that I have an intermittent feature but I do not know if I can just replace/install the switch or if I would have to upgrade the motor also.

I have been looking at different switches and have run across a term I am not familiar with: coast to park and dynamic park.

I have the rectangular motor like the one pritch has pictured. I believe it is dynamic park (?)
JennCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #36
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,087
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennCat View Post
This has been an excellent read. I have gutted the dash on my '70 and cleaned it up, replacing some of the switches. Presently I have a two speed wiper setup with a push in wash.

I would like to replace the switch such that I have an intermittent feature but I do not know if I can just replace/install the switch or if I would have to upgrade the motor also.

I have been looking at different switches and have run across a term I am not familiar with: coast to park and dynamic park.

I have the rectangular motor like the one pritch has pictured. I believe it is dynamic park (?)

Glad you enjoyed the thread. One of our members on the board sells the delay kit on the parts for sale forum. Here is a link to his for sale thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=593984

I am not familiar with those terms either so I can't help you with that.

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #37
Fasteddieb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 11
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Wiper motors are voodoo! Until I read this thread. Now they are just a pain in the brain!
I have a 69 C10 with a 3 terminal (2 speed?) wiper motor. 12V at the motor. Jumped the wires as instructed above and get just one speed . Removed cowl and freed the wiper transmission arms so motor could run free. Still just one speed.
Suggestions?
Thanks guys!
Fasteddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #38
JennCat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wichita Ks
Posts: 40
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Thanks for the link, LockDoc. It looks like the thing I have been wanting but recently my time has been consumed with so many other things it may be a little while before I fit one iota (is that a word?) of more part replacement. Right now its a mad race with the warm weather and short days to get everything done that need done immediately.

Turns out that my wiper motor works just fine. However, while it was apart I couldn't resist screwing with the washer motor (had to figure out how that ratcheting pawl worked) and I think I may has put it back together in a position different than it should be. I bought a little rebuild kit and rebuilt it (the washer mechanism) and while in there I just had to know what made that ratchet mechanism stop and go. So, I discovered the if I push the piston down against its spring, the rachet mechanism will move to various positions. Neat!

But now that my friend has re-installed the wiper motor, the washer doesnt seem to draw fluid.

Does anyone know if there is a particular position that mechanism must be in to start properly? Maybe I should put a multimeter on the switch and check for juice.
JennCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #39
Oregon 1967 GMC
Registered User
 
Oregon 1967 GMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 368
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

I don't have the same type of prongs as the ones pictured above. I have three total to hook up to. I don't understand the part about hooking up to the "bottom terminal on the round motor."? I did get mine to run, it chugs along in one speed. How can I check from here to see if two speeds work?
Attached Images
 
__________________
Hey man
67 GMC Short Stepside build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=650603
Oregon 1967 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:19 AM   #40
Oregon 1967 GMC
Registered User
 
Oregon 1967 GMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 368
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

here's a closer picture of the prongs on my wiper motor. Just three of them.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Hey man
67 GMC Short Stepside build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=650603
Oregon 1967 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 AM   #41
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,087
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC View Post
I don't have the same type of prongs as the ones pictured above. I have three total to hook up to. I don't understand the part about hooking up to the "bottom terminal on the round motor."? I did get mine to run, it chugs along in one speed. How can I check from here to see if two speeds work?
Pritch has an adapter terminal (one to two) in the pictures above. If you look close it actually only has three terminals like yours.

You do not have a round motor so you don't need to pay any attention to the "bottom terminal on the round motor." part. All '67-'72 trucks use the rectangular wiper motor. If you follow the testing procedures above for the "two speed" wipers (1st post and Pritches post) it will test both speeds.....

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

Last edited by LockDoc; 08-14-2016 at 09:09 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #42
Oregon 1967 GMC
Registered User
 
Oregon 1967 GMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 368
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Pritch has an adapter terminal (one to two) in the pictures above. If you look close it actually only has three terminals like yours.

You do not have a round motor so you don't need to pay any attention to the "bottom terminal on the round motor." part. All '67-'72 trucks use the rectangular wiper motor. If you follow the testing procedures above for the "two speed" wipers (1st post and Pritches post) it will test both speeds.....

LockDoc
That adapter terminal threw me off and I thought I had a round motor...I'll give that a shot. Thanks "LD"
__________________
Hey man
67 GMC Short Stepside build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=650603
Oregon 1967 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #43
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,087
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC View Post
That adapter terminal threw me off and I thought I had a round motor...I'll give that a shot. Thanks "LD"

Be sure and clean the spade terminals good, they look pretty corroded. If your wife has one of those flexible finger nail files use the fine side of that. (don't tell her I told you to though)....

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #44
custom10nut
Registered User
 
custom10nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Columbia SC (temp) East Tn (soon)
Posts: 1,032
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Great thread.
I have one pump on my bench that I cleaned out, and it may be going into my truck, if I can't get my current one to pump. I'm hoping I can take the pump apart and clean the intake, while it's still in the truck. It'll depend on how the pump sits on the firewall. I keep y'all posted
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #45
custom10nut
Registered User
 
custom10nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Columbia SC (temp) East Tn (soon)
Posts: 1,032
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Great thread.
I have a complete pump on my bench that I took apart and cleaned, to get back into working order. It's really pretty easy, when it's out of the truck. I'm hoping I can get the one in my truck working again , by taking the intake apart and cleaning the little holes out, while its under the dash. The pump is operational, but it won't pump any fluid right now, and the wiper portion works fine. If I can't get things working, I'm going to have to go with the remote setup that I've seen other members use.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #46
Oregon 1967 GMC
Registered User
 
Oregon 1967 GMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 368
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Checked and found ok! At first it wasn't parking because my jumper wire was spliced bad, I squeezed it and duh!..And got the nail abrasive board from spousal unit. All cleaned up and purty. Thank you!
__________________
Hey man
67 GMC Short Stepside build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=650603
Oregon 1967 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #47
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,087
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC View Post
Checked and found ok! At first it wasn't parking because my jumper wire was spliced bad, I squeezed it and duh!..And got the nail abrasive board from spousal unit. All cleaned up and purty. Thank you!

Good deal! Now you'll be "Singin' In The Rain"...

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #48
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,087
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Great thread.
I have a complete pump on my bench that I took apart and cleaned, to get back into working order. It's really pretty easy, when it's out of the truck. I'm hoping I can get the one in my truck working again , by taking the intake apart and cleaning the little holes out, while its under the dash. The pump is operational, but it won't pump any fluid right now, and the wiper portion works fine. If I can't get things working, I'm going to have to go with the remote setup that I've seen other members use.

They can be a bear to get fixed. You wouldn't think they would be so temperamental. Let us know how it goes....

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #49
Oregon 1967 GMC
Registered User
 
Oregon 1967 GMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 368
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Good deal! Now you'll be "Singin' In The Rain"...

LockDoc
You're "Dating Yourself" big guy! I wish you lived down the street so I pick your brain and harass you non-stop. Thanks again!
__________________
Hey man
67 GMC Short Stepside build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=650603
Oregon 1967 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #50
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,087
Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC View Post
You're "Dating Yourself" big guy! I wish you lived down the street so I pick your brain and harass you non-stop. Thanks again!

Only problem is I'm really that old.

I'm only as far away as your keyboard so you can pick and harass at your leisure..

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com