The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
blazer2007

another knock noise ?

5 yr. old motor 350/350 stock low miles only driven in the summer, small town mostly in town and on the hiway now and then to stretch it, legs so to speak. Good Lucas Hot Rod hi zinc oil. Anyway I was going to work about 20 MPH and heard a heavy ticking noise,checked oil press. and was 60 psi,pulled over to see if something was hitting but nothing but the noise was down in the bottom of the engine and not a valve train sound ,was heavier than the usual valve noise. Engine ran fine ,nice and smooth,RPM,s were consistent. Took it home and took my Jeep to work,came home and started the truck,the noise was gone. Will try again this morning and see,cold right now 3 below Celsius. I did some reading and the 3 things that came up was rod ,fuel pump and flex plate and someone mentioned looking under dist. cap ,I don,t know why. Couldn,t see anything in the flex plate area for cracks but could be small. I did put in a new carter fuel pump 2 weeks ago when looking for random stall which was the ign. sw. Checked fuel pump with a broom handle and couldn,t hear anything strange. Can these 3 items pump,rods and flex plate be random? I would think the rod knock would be all the time especially when cold. Hope I explained everything.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: another knock noise ?

Collapsing lifter can be random.
I had one on my 65 like that.
Made noise at odd times.
If I shut it off and started it a couple times it would quit and come back again maybe a couple weeks later.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #3
blazer2007

Took it for a drive and no bad noise but heard a bit at the beginning but not loud, seems a ta off but could be my imagination. I think I will change the fuel pump as the old one was OK. Do you think something fell off on the fuel pump and rattled but would still work ? Will keep a ear out for the collapsed lifter as geezer said. I hate these random issues
Old 10-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
truckster

You don't say what year 350 you have, but if it's a Vortec, it could be piston slap. Some of the earlier ones were especially noticeable.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
You don't say what year 350 you have, but if it's a Vortec, it could be piston slap. Some of the earlier ones were especially noticeable.
I thought I had everything covered but the year,is 75 L-48 stock rebuilt about 5 yrs. ago, low mileage in a 80 2 wheel truck
Old 10-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
Dead Parrot

Power steering pump going bad can sound a lot like an engine noise.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Take off the belts one at a time, fire it up and see if it has a noise.
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote