The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
Rockit

Axel renew

Pulled the rear end out of the truck today so I could clean it up and paint it. What do you think I should do to it to make it last another another 40 years?

I was going to do new seals and break line. What else?
Rockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:42 AM   #2
swamp rat

Re: Axel renew

The best way: All new bearings and seals which would mean a complete disassembly and rebuild, but first have a professional inspect the ring and pinion to determine if its good, the backlash will have to be reset too too via pinion depth and shims on the carrier bearings, if you never done that then best to take it to a professional shop.

Cheap way: Don't know what rear axle it is but find and replace the axle seals, then get some brake cleaner and clean the inside of the housing to get as much of the muck out as possible. Check the backlash to be sure its within spec, put it back together and run it.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
Rockit

I know the backlash is bad, has way to much play. The truck must have over 200 K miles on it. I guess if I want it to go another 40 plus years I had better put everything back new.

In my area it has become very popular to find an older truck 70's and earlier for your run around town ride. The truck doesn't get restorded just driven. I want mine to look like an old truck and drive like a new one

You can see how bad the rear seal leaked from the grease build on the end of the housing.
Rockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
vidman

Good time for a Posi install
Old 01-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
I know the backlash is bad, has way to much play. The truck must have over 200 K miles on it. I guess if I want it to go another 40 plus years I had better put everything back new.
Find yourself a professional and have this done right. This will get you the piece of mind that comes with the warranty. This is not a job for the average weekender. It takes quite a bit of know-how and patience, along with some specialized tools....not worth the time or money for a one-time thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote