The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
darrellyates

Thanks to Scott's....

So today, for Christmas, my wife got me a second sliding jack for the lift.

Will make doing tire rotations and suspension work easier, as I can lift all 4 corners at the same time without using a bottle jack or two...

So, I had to take the truck down to get it installed on the lift, which I did. Then the wife says, "lets go for a ride in the truck"... which of course I'm willing to do.

We set out from the house, and go about a mile to Hwy 31. I wait for all the traffic to pass, and pull out, headed for town. I haven't gone a single mile before some idiot pulls out to pass from the oncoming lane, right in front of me. Friends, and I mean right in front of me... less than 100 feet between me and the car he's trying to pass, and he pulls full on into my lane.

I'm going about 50 mph, and as I see his grill come out from behind the car I figure he's going to see me and pull back in... but nope, he comes right on over... on a 2 lane road... Merry Christmas to me!!!

I stab the brakes and dive for the shoulder... luckily there isn't a guardrail here on this TWO LANE ROAD.... Thankfully, the car he was passing pulled over to his right as well, and there wasn't a foot to clear when he went past the truck...

Thankfully, nobody was hurt, and the truck didn't get a scratch...even from the gravel on the shoulder... I was temped to whip around and chase him down... but the wife was pale white and I just acted as if it were no big deal...

So, thanks to Scott's Hot Rods for the excellent chassis that handled the emergency maneuver and never slid a tire... Plus, the Wilwood brakes hauled the truck down from 50+ mph to under 25 in a heartbeat... Because I looked at the speedometer as I went off the pavement. I am sure that the factory set up wouldn't have managed nearly as well and I am extremely confident in the 4 piston calipers and Wilwood brakes on the truck... Very few vehicles I've ever owned would have managed any better than this current truck..

So, thanks again to Scott's for the chassis and set up I'm running. I'm sure that today it saved our lives...
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: Thanks to Scott's....

Wonderful that you and yours are safe after that near miss...

Have a wonderful Holiday season and New Year....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:39 AM   #3
toolboxchev

Re: Thanks to Scott's....

Well sorry to hear that on Christmas...they are everywhere now, everyday.

Good thing about your skill and technically advanced nice looking truck, May a New Years Day drive turn out better.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote