The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
ctrow

What could I sell my truck for possibly?

I was pumped at one point but the painter I picked had taken all the fun out of this project. I'm debating on just getting rid of it all together and move on.

I've been trying to get this truck on the road for 17 years now and it's not looking any closer even with spending all the money I've spent on it already.

You can view my build thread but basically it's a 1970 with 1968 front end. Firewall is shaved. No rust. It has original fleet side beds but with new front bed panel, bed floor, and tailgate.

Currently all the sheet metal is in some stage of body work. Hence the frustration with the painter.

Engine is a 305 Tuned port with Street and performance accessories. It has a rebuilt 700R4. Rear end is stock single leg rear end.

I have a Vintage air unit that goes with it. Electric fans for the radiator, new factory style radiator, electric fan trans cooler, 18 circuit wiring harness. billet gauge panel/glove box door.

Blazer tank with fuel pump etc. Currently the engine can be started. Frame has been sand blasted and painted. All new suspension components up front. I'm using a CPP modular spindle. Coy wheels, new BFG tires.

Pictures attached. I've still got to settle up with the painter and not 100% sure if I want to sell. Just looking to see what some might offer and if it made sense, might be time to give it up. Like anything in this hobby, I've got more into it than what I'll be able to recoup so I understand that....
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
ctrow

Re: What could I sell my truck for possibly?

More pictures.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
71swb4x4

As close as it is to being completed, you will be money ahead to finish it and then sell it.
Get it out of the shop and to a new painter if necessary.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic

yeah take a deep breathe and refocus the truck looks top notch and you are very close to finished as 71swb suggested you'll be better off finishing even if you have to change painters. and since you've owned the truck so long do you really want to get rid of it? you'll take a big lose as it sits.
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

I've been in your shoes before - very exasperating. I had to fire two painters before I finally got it back after nearly 4 years in paint shop hell. You've got a great looking truck, I'd finish it out. Get references, and never take it to a shop that does insurance work. I've had the best luck with people that do it as a hobby.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
barraza

Don't give up. Just about everyone that has had a car painted feels your pain. After my last build, I swear I'll never have another car painted EVER. I'm embarrassed to say how long the first painter had the car before I pulled it out, but it ended up in FL at Prodigy Customs, in and out with a fixed quote and on time. The bad part is that he only does F-bodies. It was a little expensive, but not really considering the time and quality. The point is that there are good paint shops out there, you just have to ask around a lot to find them.

If you sell it now, you will take a bath.
barraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
ctrow

Thanks for the encouragement. The fiance HATES the truck and she even says to keep it.

I've spoken to another board member already about painting it so if I pull it, he'll be the first one on the list. The question is can I get any of the money paid already back. If not, it's back to saving and picking it back up again when I have the money. That's to be determined and really the next step.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
VA72C10
VA72C10

I agree as well....finish it up...but if you do sell...part it. You will take a HUGE loss selling it as a project.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
ctrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by barraza View Post
After my last build, I swear I'll never have another car painted EVER.
I'm about to that point but don't have any experience or equipment. I'm tempted to learn on my own though just to see progress on it!

Seeing a recent article in Custom Classic trucks I think got me thinking it could be done. Project 'Get Shorty'.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
VA72C10
VA72C10

check out my blazer "finishing touches" thread below...on the last couple of pages check out the paint that was done in a shop. I did have a highly qualified painter do the spraying, but I did the sanding and body work with the help of a guy that's looking to have a big time shop in a few years but is very reasonable right now to get some nice projects as references...
Old 07-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrow View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. The fiance HATES the truck and she even says to keep it.

I've spoken to another board member already about painting it so if I pull it, he'll be the first one on the list. The question is can I get any of the money paid already back. If not, it's back to saving and picking it back up again when I have the money. That's to be determined and really the next step.
you paid the guy before he finished painting it?
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
mr48chev

Well, everything done so far looks first rate but selling prices always reflect the "who's selling, Who's buying and how bad he/she wants it" thing.

I'm not sure what the rub with the painter is be it that he keeps putting it on the back burner, runs up the bill from the original estimate or says that it needs a lot more body work. Show quality work does take a lot of time and usually costs a lot of money.

If the guy is just dragging his feet on it, it may be time to pay him what you owe him for work done to this point and load it up and take it somewhere else. You would be a long way from the first guy who had done that.

I hate to see anyone get disgruntled and sell his dream but I will say that a lot of us who have been at this playing with cars and or trucks have gotten burned out at one time or another. My burn out lasted for about six years and I probably will never be the way I was before about the whole car/truck thing.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Exclamation Re: What could I sell my truck for possibly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrow View Post

I feel your pain.

I'm at odds with my bodyshop man right now. As I have paid him in advance to do some repairs and nothing have done since I gave him a LOT of my hard earned money.

Good luck to you.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
bigguy69
dazed and confused

man dont give up yet. if was me i would get it and find another painter. if money was a problem i would primer the bed and drive it for a while. to me nothing gets you going like being able to drive your truck!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
ctrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy69 View Post
..primer the bed and drive it for a while. to me nothing gets you going like being able to drive your truck!
That would go a long ways to getting me excited about it. I enjoy being able to start it and all but let's be honest, I want it going down the road radio up and A/C on.

I like many have given him money up front. Call it a trust thing (which I will never do again). Live and learn. I haven't made final payment. I feel sorry for the next painter though. One bad seed ruins for everyone of them.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
JohnC

Man I hate to hear that about your situation. I have started hearing bad things about the painter you were using. I was going to pm ya, but I couldn't remember your userid.

Hope it all works out for ya. Maybe just get it back take a break and recollect your thoughts. Then start on it again. You've done so much work to quit now.

As for getting your money back from the guy. I seriously doubt it will happen. What I hear is that he is so far over his head that none of the paint supply places will float materials or such for him. He has lost a lot of his good employees, and how he still has the doors open is surprising. I say cut your losses, and move on. If you can get money from him I say go for it, but I think it will be kind of like squeezing blood from a turnip.

Last edited by JohnC; 07-26-2010 at 04:32 PM.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
junkyardjohn

MY 71 BLAZER WAS IN PAINT PRISON FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS BEFORE I TOOK IT HOME, & LEARNED HOW TO PAINT. VERY GOOD MATERIALS & EQUIPTMENT DON'T NESSISARILY MEAN A VERY GOOD PAINTJOB, BUT CHEAP EQUIPTMENT & CHEAP MATERIALS DO %100 GARANTTY YOU'LL HAVE A CHEAP PAINT JOB. TODAYS MTL.s ARE NOT THAT AWFUL HARD TO USE. ANYBODY THAT REALLY WANTS TO CAN LEARN. SELLING ISN'T REALLY AN OPTION, CAUSE YOU'LL ONLY GET BACK ABOUT 20 CENTS ON THE DOLLAR. & THATS ONLY MATERIALS. YOU DON'T GET ANYTHING FOR LABOR. HANG IN THERE... LEARN TO PAINT. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 07-26-2010 at 04:50 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #18
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

If that's the case, you better get your truck while you can.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #19
Notrodder

If your painter is working in a collision shop, he probably doesn't want to be doing restoration/custom work. If your painter is doing the bodywork, it isn't being done as efficiently or as well as it could be done by an actual bodyman. If you made your deal with a collision shop manager, you are paying almost three times the amount that the guy doing the work is being paid. And, the manager is pushing the painter to do work that he doesn't want to do.

All of this may or may not be the situation you find yourself in, but it will help others to avoid a bad situation if they understand this: The guys working collision shops make their best money doing collision work and they resent anything that gets in the way of that (custom work).

While it may be frustrating for the owner, it takes a considerable amount of time for a bodyman to make a farm truck, with decades of rust and bad repairs, into a showpiece. And it will cost plenty, because professional bodymen and painters aren't doing it for fun (it's not).

Probably, you're best bet is to take it to another shop, be patient, pay for it when it's done, then enjoy the truck afterward. It may be difficult, but it was you who decided he wanted a hotrod.
Notrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #20
ctrow

Well crap, JohnC basically confirmed what I thought. I've been dealing with the owner since day one so no shop managers or grunt workers. I think at the time he was doing all anyway.

I'm still not done pissing him off and making their life hell.

I'm 99.9% one of the most easy going people you'll ever meet but this situation brings out the worst in me. Worst part is it sounds a lot of us have been in the same situation.

Supposedly he's already got the materials so if anything I can get those back hopefully.

JohnC - thanks again for the info. It's sure better than speculating over it.

Last edited by ctrow; 07-26-2010 at 05:58 PM.
ctrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #21
Hart_Rod

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but you are to close to sell it now. If you do you will always regret it. If the bodywork is already done, take it to Maaco and have them spray it with your paint. Usually the guys that paint there are pretty good at laying out paint. If you don't want to do that, talk to James or Mark at Mar-K, I'm sure they know some reputable painters in the OKC area. Worst case scenario, put it in your garage until you can find someone to finish it right. Best of luck.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 PM   #22
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but you are to close to sell it now. If you do you will always regret it. If the bodywork is already done, take it to Maaco and have them spray it with your paint. Usually the guys that paint there are pretty good at laying out paint. If you don't want to do that, talk to James or Mark at Mar-K, I'm sure they know some reputable painters in the OKC area. Worst case scenario, put it in your garage until you can find someone to finish it right. Best of luck.
This what I was going to suggest. While Maaco doesn't use quality paint (let's face it, $600 to paint a car??? You know that's all labor and cheap paint) they shoot a LOT of vehicles. I have taken 2 Jeeps there, providing my own paint, and was very pleased with the outcome.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #23
ctrow

I appreciate everyone and their encouragement. Misery loves company right!?!

I will probably just do what I can for the next month with the painter. I've got a wedding and honeymoon coming up so my focus is in other places anyway.

After thinking about it, I think I will probably put it in primer, drive it for a couple of years to get everything where it needs to be (wiring/Air conditioning/stereo/etc).

Then tear it apart again for paint one last time.

Maaco may be an option if I'm able to get the paint from the painter. Regardless, sounds like I'll be keeping it. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #24
JohnC

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #25
pat 70/71

DO NOT SELL IT!! your truck is the bomb. sorry to here the painter issues. (happens a lot) not all painters drag things out . most are hard working people! learn to do body work. (it can be done) then have someone go over your work& paint it for you. you can rent a booth for 275.00/ 350.00 a day . spray guns are cheep. try it 17 years? its a keeper cheers,Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote