The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #51
1project2many

Re: Brake Lines... Bend or Pre Bent ???

I've had best luck flaring the green lines by sanding the green coating off the end before flaring. Kind of defeats the purpose of the green coating.

On the upside the green coating looked almost exactly the same as the ancient copper alloy lines used by OEM on my '36 Plymouth.

I have both a hydraulic and mechanical flaring tool. Sometimes the hydraulic tool won't get into a spot to do repairs on the vehicle.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #52
GMtrucknut!!

After I bend the brake lines that are visible under the hood or even on the rear end I allways polish the steel lines with steel wool and then clear coat them. It adds a little sparkle when you pop open the hood !
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #53
bajabob

Guys
Thanks for the tips and words of encouragement. I only tried to do this on my own as a result of some great advice here.
I might have a 150.00 bucks in tools and materials. Like everyone else, I started out with some cheap tools and then stepped up to some nicer stuff (still not that expensive). I bought all of my brake line in 5 or 6 foot sections at NAPA for like 7 or 8 bucks each(with fittings). Yea, I have a pile of bent sections that look awful, but it was fun. I kinda of got in a rush at the end only because I wanted to move onto something else but otherwise it was fun to sit there and try to figure out the best and cleanest way to route the line.

Now that everything is bent and in place, they will all come off and get "polished" with a coat of clear. I am anxious to get some pressure on the system to see if we have any leaks

bb
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #54
72ArizonaBurb

Great timing on this. I need to run my own brake lines also. Thanks for the tips on tools and how to.
72ArizonaBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #55
bajabob

I go by the shop tomorrow and grab some shots of my set up.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #56
bajabob

The black one was the first one, made nice bends but not as tight at the one on the left. Dremel tool to make cuts and the small grinder to clean up the cuts. Not a very fancy flaring tool but got the job done.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #57
bajabob

Had to have the shoulder turned on these to get the clip to fit on the back side of the frame.

Didnt know the difference between an AN fitting and a IFF fitting before this project.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #58
1project2many

The tubing bender on the left is similar to one style I own. Good idea to blow through all those lines with air and / or alcohol cleaner after using abrasive wheel to cut. Tubing cutter is preferred method. Guy in the shop has used one of those flaring tools for many years with success.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #59
72ArizonaBurb

I decided to tackle my brake lines by making a template of each one and taking it down the local shop where they make hydrolic hoses and brake lines. The guy said what do you want me to do with all those bends. I have a new brake line product that you can easily bend by hand. All we need to do is measure the length and you take it home and install it. They put all the flares and flare nuts on for me it cost me about $60. I would suggest you check your local shop and see it they have this product. It comes in long roll and you just measure out how much you need.
Attached Images

72ArizonaBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #60
CEE1NG_RED

Bajabob...what bending tool and/or additional tools did you use? Brand? Price?
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
CEE1NG_RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #61
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ArizonaBurb View Post
I have a new brake line product that you can easily bend by hand. All we need to do is measure the length and you take it home and install it. They put all the flares and flare nuts on for me it cost me about $60. I would suggest you check your local shop and see it they have this product. It comes in long roll and you just measure out how much you need.
From the photos that just looks like standard soft copper line. I'm not a fan of using it for auto fuel, brake and transmission lines. It cracks under vibration. When I lived in the southwest I spent a lot of time replacing swamp cooler lines that used the same stuff. I looked at my costs and I had about $45 in hardlines and fittings for my brake and fuel lines from NAPA (2007).
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #62
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE1NG_RED View Post
Bajabob...what bending tool and/or additional tools did you use? Brand? Price?
Yup, enquiring minds (nosy guys on the internet!) want to know!

I know I want to put a frame mounted master cylinder on so I may as well bit the bullet and buy the tools soon.

Baja Bob, can you take some "before" and "after" photos of your line polishing and clear coating?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #63
bajabob

cr
Here is the bender I brorrowed from a friend and had to have one for myself, like a great tool it just felt right. I know if you shop around you can find it cheaper. Not sure where I got the flaring tool from maybe Speedway or Summit, but it wasnt that expensive.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/IMP...r-Bender-3XTW3
Old 07-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #64
bajabob

Dan
The lines turned out nice and I even impressed myself, although maybe I should wait until I get pressure on them to be so impressed ..!!!! Lots of great advice from the peanut gallery and just a word of thanks to everyone on the cool tips....
I will post up some finished pics and maybe a one of my latest distractions.... ??
Old 11-20-2018, 10:24 PM   #65
zicc1835

sub
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote