The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2022, 05:30 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

When it rains it pours

My son's van left in my yard is dead. New battery can't fix a half tank of stale gas. Guess we'll drain it sometime, he lives back east. The battery was on the charger when....

Thought to run my Tundra, which my son was using, I haven't started it in over a week. Battery dead, so I put the $170 auto zone disappointment (again) on the charger, you know, after my last shot on the van. Battery failed, two year warranty, been 25 months. $225.

So anyway, where things get weird. This (*&))^% has had my vent windows over a year. Won't return my contacts of late, I want them back now. He goes by High Sierra Glass. I called him (message box full), and not five minutes later two trucks show up in my driveway from High Sierra HVAC, no affiliation. Got me excited for a second. Anyway, they were at the wrong house, fooled everyone.

The next day I finished installing the A/C system in my C10 project, very cool, first timer. But the thrill didn't last long when the AC fan to the house burned up soon after. $1K.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-30-2022 at 05:38 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:37 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: When it rains it pours

i buy batteries at walmart, 50-75% less than getting reamed at the zone.

i bet you were astounded when high sierra pulled in, thats a funny co-inkydink.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:15 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
i buy batteries at walmart, 50-75% less than getting reamed at the zone.

i bet you were astounded when high sierra pulled in, thats a funny co-inkydink.
I nearly made it to Walmart. Next time I'm going to try OEM on that Tundra. I've had two original, pulled both after 7 years and neither one really needed it.

Coinkidink, no kidding I've tried contacting this guy for windows way too many times. After I wrote the OP I saw he'd sent me a text this morning that read I'll leave them out for you. I think he figures I'm mad or something. Anyway, I get my windows today 4pm. Wow, what a relief, I hope. Last word was "I'll have em done by end of Feb." 2022.

Luck has it the guy who was supposed to rebuild my vent windows in the first place was released from prison last week. Only reason I know is, coinkidink, his son bought my cab cart off Facebook.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 06-30-2022, 10:53 PM   #4
truckster

I would be wondering if I ticked off someone upstairs...

As far as batteries go, I buy Interstate batteries at Costco. If they don't have what I need, I go to Walmart. Their batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls. They make Duralast, Diehard, and AC Delco batteries, among others.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:58 PM   #5
Warrens69GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post

As far as batteries go, I buy Interstate batteries at Costco. If they don't have what I need, I go to Walmart. Their batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls. They make Duralast, Diehard, and AC Delco batteries, among others.
Including AutoZone
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:17 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:

Just my life at times. Maybe I did

My C20 battery failed same day as the Tundra. Ole reliable just needed the terminals twisted tight and it fired right up.

Just me or were batteries warrantied up to 5 years until recently? My brother mentioned Costco, saw him at the store today, but I'd already bought O'riely's 3 year.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-01-2022 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:37 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I can relate with this chain of mishap many times over again. Maybe it's someone upstairs testing your mite and teaching you toleration. I know at least one time that batteries seemed to go bad in multiple vehicles in a matter of weeks or even days. Probably some kind of battery conspiracy. As you can see, I failed my test

I used to buy Diehards from Sears and never a complaint. Like batteries, many products out there offered by several companies are actually made by one company that doesn't do consumer marketing. You might think that means it makes no difference who's you buy, they're all the same. But, some may sell the same product while others have theirs made to their specs. So, some may be made better than others but we have no way of knowing. That's how it is with many things anymore.

I bought my Suburban Dec '14 and the Walmart battery in it now was in it when I bought it. I've been buying batteries from there since Sears died. They seem to be good quality for less. What we all want

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:08 PM   #8
1slo64

Quote:

You can get even better deals from Interstate if they have a retail location in your city. I paid $55 for a truck battery a couple months back.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:31 AM   #9
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
My son's van left in my yard is dead. New battery can't fix a half tank of stale gas. Guess we'll drain it sometime, he lives back east. The battery was on the charger when....

Thought to run my Tundra, which my son was using, I haven't started it in over a week. Battery dead, so I put the $170 auto zone disappointment (again) on the charger, you know, after my last shot on the van. Battery failed, two year warranty, been 25 months. $225.

So anyway, where things get weird. This (*&))^% has had my vent windows over a year. Won't return my contacts of late, I want them back now. He goes by High Sierra Glass. I called him (message box full), and not five minutes later two trucks show up in my driveway from High Sierra HVAC, no affiliation. Got me excited for a second. Anyway, they were at the wrong house, fooled everyone.

The next day I finished installing the A/C system in my C10 project, very cool, first timer. But the thrill didn't last long when the AC fan to the house burned up soon after. $1K.
1K for a blower motor is ridiculous. $800+ in labor and markuo. Even for an OEM motor that is outrageous. Sorry for your problems.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:08 AM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
1K for a blower motor is ridiculous. $800+ in labor and markuo. Even for an OEM motor that is outrageous. Sorry for your problems.
I agree, but I didn't want to mess with it. They're probably easy to replace. They "rebuilt" everything less the compressor with their pitch if it fails the 1K goes to a new one It's 21 years old. Basically $200ish for their 2 year warranty.

Battery and A/C, that's two right, so I was on the look out. My water heater leaks badly since four days ago, it's done, little doubt it's the seams. One every 11 years.

On the bright side I got my vent windows back. He had more than that 1.5 years, such as NOS bars. He implied he started them, but never opened the box, so everything is intact.