The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Burbnasty

Picked this up last night- 1970 4x4 need to make decision

I have a ridiculous amount of questions moving forward, but for now I need to make a decision.

I picked up a 1970 3/4 ton suburban, it has 34,000 original miles, it was a well optioned fire chief truck.

It currently has no motor, trans or transfer case and I purchased as a roller.

I had a 1970 4x4 2500 truck that I sold last year. The axles were very very difficult to find parts for, I believe they were a one year only axle.

The suburban has the original axles currently in it, I know the brake drums are no longer made along with other parts. The current axles are 4.10 or 4.11 gear. The truck is still at the old owners property, and I will soon pick it up, he has offered to swap the rear axle out with another dana 44 with 3.73 gears and throw in a set of 4.10 gears to match the front.

He also has a 14 bolt with a matching front axle out of an 80s 1 ton that I could purchase for an additional price.

I don't know my future plans, (tire size, lift if any, etc.) so i'm up in the air on gears but I would say I would a least run a 32 tire, and I plan to have an OD trans.

I need to make decision on axles before I take is soon.

I realize this is a lot to process, but I'm just looking for some direction, should I ....

Keep the original axles?

Swap the rear out with a 14 bolt dana 44 that currently has 3.73, and swap 4.11?

Purchase the axle out of the 1986 one ton with the matching 4.10 gears?

If this should be posted in the 4x4 section let me know...
Attached Images

Burbnasty is offline   Reply With Quote