The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
seifer

Can't select R or 1 - 3 on tree

Hey guys, im finding it tough to get the shifter to the left hand side of the H. Pops into 2nd and 3rd fine but getting back to first requires some magic jiggling between 2 and 3, then pulling in with two hands braced by the steering wheel. Any idea where i need to be looking?
seifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: Can't select R or 1 - 3 on tree

Start with the shift linkage bushings underneath. Mine are totally gone.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:51 AM   #3
oem4me

Yes, our 3 speed trucks are known for this. It is most likely a simple mis-alignment issue between the column selector and shift rod levers located at the upper end of steering column in the engine bay. Commonly, slop due to worn lower bushings or loose upper clamps causes one or both of the levers to get out of sync with the selector on the column. It's all in plain sight and easy to see, and can usually be rectified manually in about 5 seconds. I had to do this quite a few times in heavy L.A. traffic as the trans would suddenly not cooperate.
Funny story, but I sold that truck in really fine shape to a lady many years ago, and even warned her of the issue should it ever happen to her. Told her not to panic as it was no big deal and an easy fix. Apparently she was not listening because I later found out out she got stuck in traffic with a bum tranny that would not shift and had the truck towed. She sold it cheap after that like it was junk. Too bad, really. It was a great truck.
Also, you might want to check this link:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215307
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
seifer

Unreal, thanks for that, Turns out it needed a good greasing.
Having said that the bushings are shot and theres a bit of slop to contend with.

Ill try to find some bushings locally (in Australia) does anyone know off hand what size ID and OD I need?
seifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
PGSigns

The bottom of the column has a few moving parts and they tend to get neglected. One thing that happens is they get a bit rusty and wont move like they need to. First spray all the parts with with PB Blaster and exercise the shifter in all gears to get things moving again. This a lot of times makes things a lot better. Once you get it freed up then give it a good shot of white lithium grease.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote