The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Exclamation Vortec SBC Heads vs. Double Hump

Dollar for Dollar would the Vortec be a better flowing head than the old Double Hump Heads?

Locally on Craigs List there is a set of Vortec heads for sale: $100 from a totalled vehicle; Casting # 10239906. He also has the Double Humped head (unknown casting #) for $400.

I wish I would have never gotten rid of the pair I had years earlier.

So the question still stands, (not baised on this seller's price) but have heard the Vortec heads are very good.

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

-Scott-

Last edited by C20-67_N_MO; 09-07-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: added casting #
C20-67_N_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Vortec SBC Heads vs. Double Hump

for stock casting heads, you can't beat the vortec heads.
Let some resto guy get the old ones.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
cableguy0

stock for stock the vortecs are the better head. if your looking for a budget head that can make decent power they are the way to go. just be careful with spending too much on machine work to get them rebuilt and up to par. if you plan to run a healthy cam you need to change valve springs use screw in studs etc. also dont forget to factor in the price of a new intake and valve covers. sometimes it comes out cheaper to just spend more in the first place on a nice set of performance heads. dart iron eagles or something similar are excellent heads and by the time you factor in all the costs of using vortec heads sometimes you can get a lot more head for the same money.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
fiddy9apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
stock for stock the vortecs are the better head. if your looking for a budget head that can make decent power they are the way to go. just be careful with spending too much on machine work to get them rebuilt and up to par. if you plan to run a healthy cam you need to change valve springs use screw in studs etc. also dont forget to factor in the price of a new intake and valve covers. sometimes it comes out cheaper to just spend more in the first place on a nice set of performance heads. dart iron eagles or something similar are excellent heads and by the time you factor in all the costs of using vortec heads sometimes you can get a lot more head for the same money.
very true i have about 400 just in head work in my vortec heads
fiddy9apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
neonlarry

I would vote for the vortecs. If you want some camel humps and you live anywhere close I have a set you can have for free(no shipping).
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
shortbed70

I am for the vortecs also. I bought an aftermarket set and man what an improvement compared to stock OLD castings. Mine were patriot 185cc with 64cc chambers and came with screw in studs guide plates and SS 2.02-1.60 valves for 435.00 to my door.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
fiddy9apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbed70 View Post
I am for the vortecs also. I bought an aftermarket set and man what an improvement compared to stock OLD castings. Mine were patriot 185cc with 64cc chambers and came with screw in studs guide plates and SS 2.02-1.60 valves for 435.00 to my door.
435 is a deal!
fiddy9apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
Slik69

I can give you my experience with vortecs. They are very good heads. So good, I am considering upping my cam a few steps. They really are a good head for the $$. I had guides cut down etc., but didn't need to as I am not using lift high enough. You really don't even need screw in studs/guideplates.

I put headers on and the breathing improved even more. Like I said, I really need to bump cam up a bit because they breathe a lot better than what I thought.
Slik69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
dan76

Go with the Vortecs............but depending on the year of your 305 you'll have to change the intake since the bolt patterns are different.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

WOW!

Thanks guys for some fantasic feedback. I am still up in the air if I want to do SBC or BBC. But all this give me 'food for thought'

Appreciate it!

-Scott-