The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
FLYNAVY30

Lets see your stereo install...

I continue to be frustrated by my stereo set up and am considering starting completely over....

My first attempt was the complete Hidden Audio set up with the vintage looking head unit, the kick panel speakers, and the two boxes with an amp under the middle seat. That set up sounded ok-ish, but the kick panel speakers in the front rattled terribly, and blocked access to the headlight high beam switch and parking brake pedal. Plus they just look like a tacky add-on.

I finally ditched the kick panel speakers and replaced them with a second set of the self contained boxes under the front seat. That set up sounds terrible as well because the sound is being pumped directly into the bottom of the seat.

Lastly, i get terrible feedback through the speakers that is completely in sync with engine RPM. Ive tried everything I can think of....the amp is grounded directly to the negative terminal on the battery, the engine has 2 grounding straps to the frame in addition to the negative battery terminal directly to the engine block and the body has at least 4 grounding straps to the frame. The speaker wires are also run separately from the Amp power and ground.

Any input in fixing my feedback would be greatly appreciated....as would any suggestions for mounting a decent sounding system.

Things I'm not interested in doing include cutting holes in the doors or dash to mount speakers

Thanks very much for the help!
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote