The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2017, 02:50 AM   #1
Iplay4keepz

Control arm Shaft question

hello to all!

I have been building a 1963 c20 and it's finally time to redo the front suspension! I have been having some problems figuring out which way to go with my project though in terms of the front lower control arm shafts. My truck came with what looks like a dog bone shaped control arm shaft on the bottom; whereas, the replacement parts sold by most aftermarket retailers are just a straight shaft with two alignment holes. I have found this thread heavy duty lower control arm u-bolt modification but it appears that the user just reused the original pieces. Where there different options throughout the 6 years? I would theoretically like to put the same style pieces on, but the dog bone styles are upwards of 200$ a piece!!! Can anyone shed some light on this conundrum?
Iplay4keepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:05 AM   #2
Iplay4keepz

Re: Control arm Shaft question

A little follow up post in case anyone was curious as to the differences I was talking about.

dog bone style

straight tube
Old 10-06-2017, 11:08 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I am fully aware of the '63-'66 C20/30 lower control arm shafts. The only correct way to get away from those and go to the round shafts is to change the entire suspension crossmember to one from a '67-'87. When you go to all that work, you may as well upgrade to disc brakes also.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:19 AM   #4
Iplay4keepz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I am fully aware of the '63-'66 C20/30 lower control arm shafts. The only correct way to get away from those and go to the round shafts is to change the entire suspension crossmember to one from a '67-'87. When you go to all that work, you may as well upgrade to disc brakes also.
Then lemme ask you this. If I were to snag a straight through set would I be able to use the bushings and the end caps on the original dog bone shaped system? Reason why I ask is because my truck is a c20 and I plan on keeping the thing that way. I have already ordered the 8 lug disc brake system as well but the kit doesn't include the's pieces to renew these shafts.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

As far as I know the control arm bushings are the same whether you have the '63-'66 shafts or the '67+ round shafts. If your original flat shafts are not worn, there is no need to replace them.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Iplay4keepz

Thanks for your replies Captainfab, I had a feeling at least the bushings and the caps would be the same. I will get to ordering my parts and I'll post a follow up when everything comes in.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:23 AM   #7
Iplay4keepz

So I have come to a final conclusion about using the newer style bushings and caps. The caps will not work, they are almost a quarter of an inch shorter than the original dog bone shaped control arm shaft. The bushings; however, seem to fit nicely.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 AM   #8
Iplay4keepz