The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
painterljp

Chromed our grill

What do you all think?? Sent our aluminum grill to be chromed. This is how it turned out. Now do we get a chromed center plastic or put stock silver back in it??
Attached Images

Last edited by painterljp; 10-22-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Ad info
painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Chromed our grill

Who did the chrome work? Look great!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
truckster

Re: Chromed our grill

It looks great. I think a chromed eggcrate would be too much for most trucks.

Mind if I ask how much the chrome cost?
Old 10-22-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
painterljp

Electro plating of El Paso. It was 550. With headlight trim rings. But the grill was a stock aluminum one. The cost would be about the same as an aftermarket one basically. And we know this one fits the truck it came off of. So should be an easy fit putting it back in.

Last edited by painterljp; 10-22-2017 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Ad info
Old 10-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
yuccales

VERY nice!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
nds1968

Nice grill, I've used them for my hubcaps. They were easy to work with and fast turn around. What about a black center...

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Definitely no chrome insert. Grey will look just fine

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #8
72 tigger

X2 ^ (and the chrome looks great!)
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
jocko

another vote for stock gray. how or will you paint the factory black on the surround? would be kinda difficult to make it stick on chrome i'm guessin. looks real nice!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
painterljp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
another vote for stock gray. how or will you paint the factory black on the surround? would be kinda difficult to make it stick on chrome i'm guessin. looks real nice!
Yes the black is gonna go back on although the grill didn't have black on it before we sent it. But am gonna go call to paint shop and see what we can get to stick to it. It was the stock grill from a one owner truck so don't know why it wasn't on there before. Do all 1971 Chevy have the black around headlights??
Old 10-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Did they have to do any work to the grill before chroming, or was it in perfect shape when you sent it in?

And like most others I would definitely keep the inner grill stock color.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #12
jocko

Yes, all 71s have the black on the grille surround around the headlights. In fact, 71s, unlike any other year, also have a black perimeter stripe on the grille surround. Its seldom seen because it wore off of most stock grilles over time - as did at least some of the headlight ring black too usually. Nobody sells a 71-specific grille surround, only 69-72 common and then an owner would need to add a 71 perimeter stripe to be correct (if desired). Most don’t normally put the perimeter ring back on unless it’s a full blown numbers resto, it’s just gonna wear off again anyway! But it is worth at least putting the black on the headlight area, personally I think that makes a big difference. Just looks like something is missing to me if it’s not there. I don’t have a ref pic of the 71 grille handy, will post one tonight unless someone beats me to it (hopefully)
Old 10-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #13
Mike's money pit

This is the stock grill on my original paint 71. As you can see, the black perimeter stripe is almost entirely gone. There is a little at the bottom corner below the headlight as well.
Attached Images

Mike's money pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #14
68Stepbed

Paint the egg crate section black. That'll make the chrome really pop.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:45 AM   #15
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Nobody sells a 71-specific grille surround, only 69-72 common and then an owner would need to add a 71 perimeter stripe to be correct
Only the 71/72 grill are visually similar. The 69/70 have the center bar with parking lights and "CHEVROLET" lettering.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #16
painterljp

Quote:
Yes, all 71s have the black on the grille surround around the headlights. In fact, 71s, unlike any other year, also have a black perimeter stripe on the grille surround. Its seldom seen because it wore off of most stock grilles over time - as did at least some of the headlight ring black too usually. Nobody sells a 71-specific grille surround, only 69-72 common and then an owner would need to add a 71 perimeter stripe to be correct (if desired). Most don’t normally put the perimeter ring back on unless it’s a full blown numbers resto, it’s just gonna wear off again anyway! But it is worth at least putting the black on the headlight area, personally I think that makes a big difference. Just looks like something is missing to me if it’s not there. I don’t have a ref pic of the 71 grille handy, will post one tonight unless someone beats me to it (hopefully)
A friend of ours has a 71 or 72 stock also. He said the same thing it was all around the grill and the headlights. Think just gonna put it around the headlights. But don't know what paint is gonna stick to chrome. Thanks looking forward to your pics. The truck is not gonna be all stock anyway. It currently has a 307 3ott in it now. It's a factory shortbed from NM, so no rust at all. Already built a cammed 327 for it, just with stock closed chamber heads and roller rockers. Gonna add power steering and brakes. Automatic behind that but want it more stock looking than not. Found some buckets on here for it. Gonna be the original color of medium olive with parchment. We hope anyway. The aftermarket grills just are not correct in most cases. And the stories on here of trying to make them fit. By the time we bought one of those we figured about the same money and we wouldn't have all the fitment issues.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #17
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Chrome looks awesome. I'm with some others, factory "silver".
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #18
painterljp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Did they have to do any work to the grill before chroming, or was it in perfect shape when you sent it in?

And like most others I would definitely keep the inner grill stock color.
Had a couple of really small dings in it and almost like a cut on drivers side toward top of headlight. They fixed that also. And it was dingy looking. We figured when we get around to painting it its gonna look really bad with new paint. Cause with the aluminum grill because they are anodized you can't really make them shiny. We don't have funds for NOS stuff.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #19
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Only the 71/72 grill are visually similar. The 69/70 have the center bar with parking lights and "CHEVROLET" lettering.
Duh. Yes, sorry about that brain fartage - thanks for the correction!
Old 10-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #20
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterljp View Post
Had a couple of really small dings in it and almost like a cut on drivers side toward top of headlight. They fixed that also. And it was dingy looking. We figured when we get around to painting it its gonna look really bad with new paint. Cause with the aluminum grill because they are anodized you can't really make them shiny. We don't have funds for NOS stuff.

Well done to say the least. Thanks for the inside info on the fixes also. I have seen too many grilles go to the way side due to a couple of dings.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:18 PM   #21
painterljp

The people whom chromed it had a lot of problems doing it. They had it for about 10-12 weeks we weren't in a hurry to get it back but on portions of the curve at bottom of grill wasn't coming out very well. They finally were able to get it done. But they told me that they weren't going to do anymore of this year aluminum grills. But bet they do.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #22
72 tigger

I bet they'll do more also- for more $. Do you think that you could mask off all the chrome that doesn't get painted & then scuff the areas that you want to paint with coarse steel wool? As long as you can "dull" the chrome, I think the paint will adhere
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #23
painterljp

Good idea. Just gotta be careful.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #24
74baggedbug

I paid 750 for mine to get done In houston, most shops told me they would not chrome a aluminum grill or wouldn't give a warranty
74baggedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:50 PM   #25
chewychevy67

I would like to get my 67 gmc body mouldings done in chrome. That grill looks real nice. It will look sharp!
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote