The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2022, 03:34 PM   #1
kens65fb

How did you mount your transmission cooler ?

I got a new torque converter 2400-2800 stall, to accomodate my new cam & rear gears, trans is a 700R4.

A transmission cooler is recommended with this torque converter.

What type of cooler is easiest and best to install, a heat sink with fins, or tube and fin.
Attached Images

kens65fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:50 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: How did you mount your transmission cooler ?

Easy or not I wouldn't use the heat sink with fins.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:59 PM   #3
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

I used a Derale cooler with an integrated fan. I mounted it between the trans crossmember and the trailing arm crossmember. I welded tabs onto the trans crossmember.
Attached Images

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:40 PM   #4
urmyboyblue

Use a stacked plate cooler. It is more efficient than either of them and mount it in front of the radiator.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:30 PM   #5
65truckowner

I have one like the second in the picture. I mounted it in front of the radiator right behind the grill
65truckowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:59 PM   #6
SkinnyG

You want the largest surface area you can have.

Many recommend running the cooler in series with the in-radiator cooler so as not to over-cool the trans fluid.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:22 PM   #7
MT65

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmyboyblue View Post
Use a stacked plate cooler. It is more efficient than either of them and mount it in front of the radiator.
Stacked plate for sure, best there is….
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:52 PM   #8
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

I used the tube finned one in my '66. Mounted it up behind the bumper. Believe there are pics in my build thread.
Attached Images

DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:20 PM   #9
'66fleetside

My grandpa used the tube and fin style cooler on his '65, it is mounted on the outside of the frame next to the transmission. On my '66, I made a custom bracket and used a radiator style cooler with a draw through external fan. Trans is a 700r4 paired to an ls3, can give more info if yall want. The LS3 truck is for my grandma, but I will be making another one for the 700r4 and 383 in my '63. I am new to the forum, I can share pictures if somebody would be kind enough to tell me how. A lot of your decision will be based off of how much work you are willing to put into it, they all do the same thing at the end of the day. If you are wanting something that looks nicer and performs the best, take the route such as I did. If you want something that does the job well, stick to the tube and fin style cooler. It will do you just fine.
'66fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:43 PM   #10
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by '66fleetside View Post
My grandpa used the tube and fin style cooler on his '65, it is mounted on the outside of the frame next to the transmission. On my '66, I made a custom bracket and used a radiator style cooler with a draw through external fan. Trans is a 700r4 paired to an ls3, can give more info if yall want. The LS3 truck is for my grandma, but I will be making another one for the 700r4 and 383 in my '63. I am new to the forum, I can share pictures if somebody would be kind enough to tell me how. A lot of your decision will be based off of how much work you are willing to put into it, they all do the same thing at the end of the day. If you are wanting something that looks nicer and performs the best, take the route such as I did. If you want something that does the job well, stick to the tube and fin style cooler. It will do you just fine.
And here's how you share your pics. It's from the FAQ tab on the forum thread list page
Attachments and Images

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 01:54 PM   #11
Cohi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
You want the largest surface area you can have.

Many recommend running the cooler in series with the in-radiator cooler so as not to over-cool the trans fluid.
agree: run a plate cooler in conjunction w/the intank cooler (so the fluid warms to operating temp off the engine coolant).
'66 C10 on GSI Bagged Chassis - in progress
'12 FLHR
'11 Custom Homebuilt Chop/Softail
Cohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:34 PM   #12
'66fleetside

Attached are the pictures I have of my trans cooler mount. Its all made by myself, cut it out with an angle grinder, bent it with a metal break, drilled the holes with a regular drill, and welded it all up. I did paint it in a booth, and not with a rattle can, which I believe looks a lot better. The cooler I am using is a Derale dual fan remote fluid cooler, I got it from summit for about 275 bucks.
Attached Images

Last edited by '66fleetside; 10-09-2022 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added more info
'66fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:19 AM   #13
verdell

Use the largest stacked plate cooler you can find and fit for that 700r4...
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote