The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Our Stuff... In Scale

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
jeffro2

The RC Safari Suburban with video

I haven't bothered you guys in awhile, so, its time again.

I originally built this about 2 or 3 years ago, its 20 inches long, bumper to bumper, supposedly 1\10th scale...

It consists of 2 Tamiya Clod Buster Chevy bodies and some sheet styrene.

And it ended up looking like this

It just never looked completely right in my eyes, so fast forward to a month or so ago, I tore it down, stole some axles and transfer case from another rc truck, (a ford, no less, )and repainted it..

And see what you think of it in action, wih some Blues ?? in the background. I need music.

http://youtu.be/pcVvPCqALmE
jeffro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
silvereagle07

Re: The RC Safari Suburban with video

That looks sweet. Where did you get the body from? I just got my kids there first rc for Christmas.
Posted via Mobile Device

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: The RC Safari Suburban with video

I like it either way. Great work. I have two of those RC trucks. They are wicked well they were back when I messed with them. I haven't run them in forever.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: The RC Safari Suburban with video

Here is a couple of pictures of the clod buster's I built.

The yellow and red one has all metal ball bearings in it along with a 4 channel radio. It crab steer's and hood comes up.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I love the realism. I'm lookin' at two great skills. One is custom detail oriented modeling and the other is great video making. Oh,the third is awesome RC driving combined with the video making.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
jeffro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle07 View Post
That looks sweet. Where did you get the body from? I just got my kids there first rc for Christmas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you silvereagle07, Its handmade by me.. There's not been very many made in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I like it either way. Great work. I have two of those RC trucks. They are wicked well they were back when I messed with them. I haven't run them in forever.
Thank you Andy, You are after my heart with that picture of the rc trucks.. You have a couple classics there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I love the realism. I'm lookin' at two great skills. One is custom detail oriented modeling and the other is great video making. Oh,the third is awesome RC driving combined with the video making.
Thank you special-K, that really means alot. I have a lot of fun building these and then trying to put a little life into them by making a video.

At 53 I never dreamed I would be stomping around in a creek bed, making videos. So, Thank you again !
Old 12-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Yeah well,so far I have not delved into the RC thing. I have been a toy truck collector and occasionally given thought to what it would take to make one "go". The farthest I've gone is laying down on the ground and filming my son's Hotwheels come down the track. I had (still do) a good 60' of track. I have friends into RCs and for them it's all about blasting around and tearing them up. They only care about making them go faster. I can see the fun in that,but as I watched your video I could imagine their reactions. They'd probably think it was silly to put all that into making one so real only to creep around carefully. Well,as a kid I probably would have agreed. But,as an adult it seems appropriate to be more detail oriented and...mature. Everyone's different but your style is my style. I guess having rigs for both styles would be cool. I can also see the fun in letting one rip and who cares what it looks like! (well,I guess I'd still want it to look fairly real)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
jeffro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Yeah well,so far I have not delved into the RC thing. I have been a toy truck collector and occasionally given thought to what it would take to make one "go". The farthest I've gone is laying down on the ground and filming my son's Hotwheels come down the track. I had (still do) a good 60' of track. I have friends into RCs and for them it's all about blasting around and tearing them up. They only care about making them go faster. I can see the fun in that,but as I watched your video I could imagine their reactions. They'd probably think it was silly to put all that into making one so real only to creep around carefully. Well,as a kid I probably would have agreed. But,as an adult it seems appropriate to be more detail oriented and...mature. Everyone's different but your style is my style. I guess having rigs for both styles would be cool. I can also see the fun in letting one rip and who cares what it looks like! (well,I guess I'd still want it to look fairly real)
Sorry its taken so long to get back to you, After getting side-tracked in life, I ended up with flu and didn't even feel like looking at a laptop, an rc truck or anything. I felt like I was run over by a truck though.

Anyway, When I was kid in late 60's and early 70's, I always wished my models and diecasts were somehow, drivable. You are correct on the speed, most of todays RC is about "how fast can you go".

I'm more of the "make it as real looking as possible including slower, normal looking speed". Although, every once in awhile I pull one off the shelf thats faster then my scale builds. Its fun for a little bit, but not long.

As for getting on the ground and getting up...repeatedly, is not easy on us aging kids..

Thank you for all of your kind words and thoughts.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
projectx

Nice custom work. You have some real talent. I like it. I thought I'd share a couple mine also.

projectx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

We must be about the same age. I used to play with my Matchboxes in the dirt. I'd build hiways,bridges,even make rivers. I'd do it as real as possible,like pushing up a pile with the dozer,loading the dump trucks with a loader,driven the dump truck at scale speed to the fill location and dump. My friends would pick them up and and hop over somewhere.I'd say,"Cars can't fly". They'd move them across the ground as fast as their arm could move and I'd say,"You know that's like 400 mph?" Yeah,maybe I was the weird one. My mom always said I gave a lot of attention to detail...ya think?
I had a huge HO car track,didn't care for the trains (once I discovered the cars). It was all about the scenery and realism.My friends loved running off the curves and making the cars fly through the air while I'd carefully cruise as fast as I could while making as many laps w/o wrecking as I could. I liked a crash on the curve,too,but I'd make it real and send a tow truck on down to check it out. Don't get me wrong,I hopped up those cars with a second magnet on one side and they'd run about 300mph scale speed. Burned the armatures up quick,too. That was for drag racing. I'd rig them up so they could pull wheelies down the truck. I'd even put a drop of oil on curves so I could fishtail. It took a light touch. I've only collected "static" toy vehicles. I really need to get back into this motion stuff!

Tim

Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
Desert.Chevy

The first picture, nice custom work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Desert.Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote