The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
nikwho

what do I coat my frame with?

Hey guys. I just finished my Camaro IFS graft and got it all boxed up. I am wrapping up with filling holes and almost ready to coat my frame. What do you guys reccomend for coating/painting frames? I'm looking for a satin or semi-gloss look. not totally flat black or full gloss. Thanks, Nik
Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
OKGMC4

Re: what do I coat my frame with?

For frames, core supports, inner fenders, bottoms of hoods, etc I like the semi gloss black Rustoleum brand. You can get it at Ace, Wal Mart, Lowes, etc and use the quarts for big jobs and the aerosol cans matches perfect for little touch up stuff. It cuts and shoots pretty easy. Some people prefer a name brand or fancier paint but this stuff works great for the price. I'm saving the fancy paint for the body!

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
nikwho

Thanks. Sounds good!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
wigadore

I coated my frame, inside my fenders and under the cab with a product called Chassis Saver from Magnetic Paints. I have taken a hammer to the finish and have not shipped the coat and it will not allow water thru so there will be no more rusting.

http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

Last edited by wigadore; 07-07-2010 at 10:22 PM.
wigadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
sn33kyp3t3

From my *limited* experience, I've grown to LOVE POR-15. I've used everything from rustoleum "hammered" (which is ok), to Duplicolor chassis coat, I've even used bed liner (which also works pretty good, just depends on where you use it, and it tends to be a lot messier).

I am also open to suggestions, but that POR-15 just kicks butt.

I should also qualify my statements by saying that there was quite a bit of scale and surface rust on my frame, and the areas that weren't rusty didn't get very good coverage. The instructions say that it likes a 'bite' to the metal, man they aren't kidding.
sn33kyp3t3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
OrrieG

I used 3 coats of Nason Chassis Black over primer. It is like a semi-gloss. On some of the rust areas I used POR-15 but remember it is UV sensitive and needs to be covered .
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Russell Ashley

I think all of the products mentioned are good but I've used mostly Rustoleum on the several trucks that I've had and been pleased with it. It's less expensive than the others and readily available. It's also available in colors and flat, gloss, and satin black. I use a Devilbliss HVLP gun to apply it.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
wigadore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I used 3 coats of Nason Chassis Black over primer. It is like a semi-gloss. On some of the rust areas I used POR-15 but remember it is UV sensitive and needs to be covered .
From the reading I have done, and the use of Chassis Saver, POR-15 is UV sensitive...but it deos not NEED to be covered. From what I understand the color may fade a bit but it does not impede the product strength or ability to lock out moisture and rust...or am I missing something? I know Chassis Saver is UV sensitive as well...but I have never coated it cause how much light really gets under the vehicle?

Last edited by wigadore; 07-08-2010 at 08:01 PM.
wigadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigadore View Post
From the reading I have done, and the use of Chassis Saver, POR-15 is UV sensitive...but it deos not NEED to be covered. From what I understand the color may fade a bit but it does not impede the product strength or ability to lock out moisture and rust...or am I missing something? I know Chassis Saver is UV sensitive as well...but I have never coated it cause how much light really gets under the vehicle?
You are correct, it may fade but that's all. I did the same as OrrieG. I striped my frame and sprayed 2 coats of epoxy primer and 2 coats of single stage black.

Last edited by Kabwe; 07-08-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote