The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #1
joesscamaro

Paint Gun Recommendations

I am in the market for a good basecoat gun and clear gun. I've been doing some reading and looking for recommendations, but there are so many guns out there...it's kind of hard to keep up. I'm not a painter by trade, so the guns will only be used a handful of times. However, I do want a good quality gun to perform some good DIY paint jobs. Can anyone recommend a good base & clear gun? From my research, I'm ok with being in the $300-$500 range for each. Thanks in advance.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:45 PM   #2
JJH Jimmy

Re: Paint Gun Recommendations

I am a first time painter myself I and bought a Iwata lph400 with the silver cap and 1.4 needle. It was about $350 on Amazon. A lot of the guys on the SPI forum use the Iwata and there are many threads on the settings which sold me on it. I used a mid grade harbor freight gun for primer and the Iwata for base and clear. I was very pleased with the results.
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #3
joesscamaro

Thanks for the feedback Jimmy! I've definitely looked at that gun a couple of times. I may need to do some more reading up on it and see if it's the one for me. Thanks again!
Old 11-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Dont overlook the black widow from ...yep...gulp..harbor freight...
after I dropped my other gun and broke it, I did alot of research into getting a better gun...after watching alot of comparison videos (youtube), I decided I'd give it a try in spite of hf rep..I'll have to say I'm impressed..although I'm not a real painter by any means, I think this is a great DIY gun

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #5
joesscamaro

I have seen some good reviews on that black widow gun...thanks for the recommendation.
The one I've been eyeing is the Tekna Prolite that comes with the 3 fluid tips and 2 air caps. It's got good reviews and seems like a good bang for the buck. Anyone have experience with Tekna?
Old 11-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Most guys are in Iwata now a days, must be something to it.
My experience with any of it was many years ago. The main painter I worked with was a SATA guy. If I remember right it was 92 and 95 that he used, though I couldn't tell you the difference in them. I'm sure the technology has moved on since though.
When I started in the cabinet shop, I did a lot of the finishing work. It was usually just Lacquer clearcoat or some simple white paint. At that time, I got ahold of a Sharpe Cobalt, but as far as I know, they are discontinued. All that is available for them is a rebuild kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:42 PM   #7
joesscamaro

Thanks longhair...good to hear your take on this. I appreciate it! I’ve been doing even more reading and about 90% certain to go with the Devilbiss DV1 line. Seems to have won me over with the reviews and the fact that I’ve already got another paint job lined up for my other car. Figured...might as well bite the bullet and just make the purchase.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #8
MP&C

Quite a few years back I had bought Iwata guns, after having extensively used the Sata NR95. I found myself not readily capable of using the Iwata gun as it is a slower application and my motor skills had become "programmed" to the Sata's faster application. I sold the Iwata's and went back to Sata. Please understand I'm not pushing one product over the other, but depending on how you (will) spray, the way in which one paint gun sprays over another may play nicer with your style of paint application for better results.. The slower application may be better suited to smaller parts, as in painting motorcycles, where you don't have as much sheet metal to get covered in xyz amount of time. I would add though, for a novice it is likely easier to spray faster than it is to spray slower, and still maintain consistency in distance to panel, speed of application, etc. (Devilbiss) Tekna is another gun that has good reviews and falls about in the middle of the Iwata and Sata as far as speed of application.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #9
Louisvillekytruck

Buy a devilbiss GTi it comes with a 1.2 1.3 1.4 put the 1.3 in it
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:45 AM   #10
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesscamaro View Post
I have seen some good reviews on that black widow gun...thanks for the recommendation.
The one I've been eyeing is the Tekna Prolite that comes with the 3 fluid tips and 2 air caps. It's got good reviews and seems like a good bang for the buck. Anyone have experience with Tekna?
Little late I have the Tekna pro lite it's a great gun . It replaced a real old Sata I'm very happy with it
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:55 PM   #11
skip99

If you are going to buff your paint jobs, the devilbiss are great guns, i have used them all, and the devilbiss just suits me……

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #12
joesscamaro

Pulled the trigger on the DV1 base & clear last night. I hit a deer in my commuter car a few weeks back, so I'm looking to spray within the next week. Will post feedback and pics once done.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #13
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip99 View Post
If you are going to buff your paint jobs, the devilbiss are great guns, i have used them all, and the devilbiss just suits me……
Why the caveat of "if you are going to buff"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote