The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #26
Jahloha

Re: For Gramps (1970 C20 RestoMod)

PS...

I have been thinking a lot about Gramps and how I wish he were closer to enjoy this rebuild with me. I grew up in SoCal off the 91 & the 5, he and I would go cruise to the beach, just to enjoy a drive with the windows down.

Since he is not here for the rebuild, I have set a soft date of middle of June 2014 to have the truck in a position to drive back to SoCal and take Gramps cruisin up PCH for a weekend as a surprise.

This thought gets me excited and will emotionally support me through the challenges that for sure lay ahead. Thanks in advance to everyone here who will help me throughout the process.

Mahalo!

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #27
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
PS...

I have been thinking a lot about Gramps and how I wish he were closer to enjoy this rebuild with me. I grew up in SoCal off the 91 & the 5, he and I would go cruise to the beach, just to enjoy a drive with the windows down.

Since he is not here for the rebuild, I have set a soft date of middle of June 2014 to have the truck in a position to drive back to SoCal and take Gramps cruisin up PCH for a weekend as a surprise.

This thought gets me excited and will emotionally support me through the challenges that for sure lay ahead. Thanks in advance to everyone here who will help me throughout the process.

Mahalo!

That would be super cool!... he would appreciate that!

Now about my neck.... LOL!!! Gotta get them pic's rotated!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #28
Jahloha

UPDATE:

Now that the bed is up on its holding frame, I loaded it up with all the pieces of the front clip, the radiator, bumper, and a few other items. I only have a two car garage, so I needed to move these pieces out of the garage so I could finalize the spot where I will be putting the truck on jack stands (just bought today at HF), and also provide enough space for my wife's car.

Although its not a super interesting update, its work on the truck, and I will always count that as a success.

Also, a have put a tarp over the entire bed, so if it snows, I shouldnt be hit hard by it on my stored pieces.

Loaded Up Bed:
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  102.0 KB

MAHALO

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #29
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
That would be super cool!... he would appreciate that!

Now about my neck.... LOL!!! Gotta get them pic's rotated!
Figured out I was uploading the pics straight from my downloads, hence the sideways pictures. I think I resolved it. Your neck and thank me later!

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-20-2013, 03:23 AM   #30
swamp rat

LOL!! it worked..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #31
mcbassin
Still Learning

You made the tear down phase look easy!

Quote:
Once completed, I will not have the trim on the body;
You going to make the truck a smooth/ slick side? Just curious, I'm a big fan of the trim on these trucks. I think it's another thing that makes different and nostalgic.
No offence intended either if you are smoothing.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #32
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
You made the tear down phase look easy!

You going to make the truck a smooth/ slick side? Just curious, I'm a big fan of the trim on these trucks. I think it's another thing that makes different and nostalgic.
No offence intended either if you are smoothing.
McBassin:

Yeah bud, in the creative process of this restoration, I have been riding the fine line between building something Gramps will recognize AND something that suits everything I want.

So that being said, there are four things I plan on doing that aren't "original":

removing lower trim and going smooth, spraying a bed liner, putting hd coils in front and back (to assist with my height, getting in and out), and installing a radio that has an aux out.

Outside of these things, I am keeping everything the same. Although these are some sort of large changes, I think the day I roll up at Gramps house, he will recognize his truck, but also appreciate these changes. haha, at least I hope.

If you want a quick look at the exterior final product I am hoping for, check this out:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595472

Scroll to Derotoreut's blue truck. Thats the look I am hoping for, but obviously keeping my Hugger Orange and White Top.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #33
70's luvr

Quote:
Scroll to Derotoreut's blue truck. Thats the look I am hoping for, but obviously keeping my Hugger Orange and White Top.
Funny..that's the one I keep coming back to also when trying to design my truck.
70's luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #34
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
McBassin:

Yeah bud, in the creative process of this restoration, I have been riding the fine line between building something Gramps will recognize AND something that suits everything I want.

So that being said, there are four things I plan on doing that aren't "original":

removing lower trim and going smooth, spraying a bed liner, putting hd coils in front and back (to assist with my height, getting in and out), and installing a radio that has an aux out.

Outside of these things, I am keeping everything the same. Although these are some sort of large changes, I think the day I roll up at Gramps house, he will recognize his truck, but also appreciate these changes. haha, at least I hope.

If you want a quick look at the exterior final product I am hoping for, check this out:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595472

I totally understand your thinking. I'm all for doing what YOU want it's your truck. Both of the trucks in that link are super cool. I have a 3/4 ton 70 (avatar pic). I will give it the same treatment one of these days. It just looks tough with the big tires and nice rims.

I think Gramps will love it
Old 11-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #35
sublime1996525

Hey I noticed you're in West Valley, so am I! Looks like it's going to be a sweet build.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #36
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime1996525 View Post
Hey I noticed you're in West Valley, so am I! Looks like it's going to be a sweet build.
Awesome. Always looking to meet more Utah members. You driving any classics still? Also, if you ever want to come take a look, just holler. I am in the garage almost every night haha.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #37
Haggis

Hey I just saw this, I'm in West Valley and have a 69 C20. Mine is not as nice though. Hopefully I'll see ya around.
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #38
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Hey I just saw this, I'm in West Valley and have a 69 C20. Mine is not as nice though. Hopefully I'll see ya around.
Haggis:

Good to meet another Utah member. I would love to check out your ride and if you wanted to, you can drop by and check mine out. Im off 72 and the 201.

PS...love the color of your truck. You gonna keep the patina or repaint?

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #39
Haggis

Quote:
Haggis:

Good to meet another Utah member. I would love to check out your ride and if you wanted to, you can drop by and check mine out. Im off 72 and the 201.

PS...love the color of your truck. You gonna keep the patina or repaint?
Sounds like a good time. I actually have a small group of local old truck fanatics that I get together with every once in a while, fill up a parking lot with old iron, grab lunch and bs. We pretty much done for the year with it being winter right now but we will start back up in the spring, you and any other Utahns are more than welcome to join. I planned on posting up when we start meeting again.

And thanks for the complement but if I'm honest the pics make it look better than it is. The color isn't original, nor was it a good respray, so I've already begun the repair work.

But enough about mine, this is your build thread. What are your plans? You look to have some savable patina.
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #40
Jahloha

UPDATE:

It feels like I haven't posted in awhile any updates, haha, guess its only been a couple days.

I finally borrowed a engine hoist and engine stand from a neighbor, he restore VW bugs and has a shop I am super envious of; anyways, I drove over and picked them up and started the process.

Being the first time I have pulled an engine, I read up and began pulling/disconnecting a list of things. I got this list from our forum and friends. The only hiccup I received was the engine mounts, I was looking for the bolt that ran all the way through the mount, but never found it. I ended up having to remove three bolts that hold the bracket to the frame.

This step in the process was huge for me. The snow is coming and now I have all major components out of the way and ready for renovation or rust prep. There is so much sludge and grime on Gramps' truck, that alone will take me weeks.

Frame Engine Bracket Top Two Bolts Removed:
Name:  Engine Bracker.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  55.5 KB

Hoist Attached:
Name:  Starting the Lift.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  42.2 KB

About where two quarts of trans fluid spilled onto my floor...DOH!
Name:  Half Way.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  54.4 KB

Success:
Name:  Engine:Trans Out.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  54.2 KB

Engine/Trans On Homemade Dolley:
Name:  Engine:Trans on Dolely.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  44.3 KB

Mahalo!

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #41
Jahloha

UPDATE:

I have been reading a ton of information and trying to figure out if I am going to rebuild my current engine or buy a crate one. I am a novice to engine work and have learned the most by tearing mine down piece by piece. If I either rebuild or buy a crate, I figure I gotta know if my block is solid enough for a rebuild anyways, so I have been tearing it down.

It is a great experience to tear down your first engine, I have been taking notes and looking at how each moving piece makes the engine work. My wife is a SAINT and has let me take over the garage these past few days. I am almost done with the tear down and will be taking the block to a machinist this weekend to give it a once over.

PS...I believe Gramps had aluminum head covers. Can those be cleaned off and painted/powder coated?

Name:  Tearing Down Engine:Trans.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  51.2 KB

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #42
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice progress yanking the old power train out. Sounds like you have a plan to rebuild. That's a fun experience. I haven't done one in many years but it sure is satisfying when you get to fire it up. Btw, I can totally relate to the tranny fluid in the floor. Messy
Old 11-29-2013, 02:45 AM   #43
Jahloha

UPDATE:

Tonight I was excited to actually tear down the engine some more and see what I was working with. I am so thankful my neighbor lent me his hoist and stand, it has allowed me to keep moving forward with this build; rather then wait a couple days to either buy/rent one, either way, it was going to cost me money. So thanks Chris!

Name:  On the Stand.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  41.9 KB

The tear down went relatively smooth, until I was removing the head bolts and broke my dang ratchet (Craftsman). So I pulled out another ratchet and again, broke it. Are these normally extremely difficult to bust loose?? Also, there was no sign of a gasket/seal under the head covers or intake manifold, is that normal???

Once the pan was off, I was happy to see that the engine is a 4 bolt main, at least I think it is. I know that a 4 bolt main has 4 bolts on the cap, and 2 for a 2 bolt main; but, looking at this pic, I have both 2 & 4...so what do I have?

Cap Bolts (2 & 4)
Name:  2 or 4 bolt main.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  110.7 KB

I found signs of water once the head covers were off and sludge in some of the crevices, is this normal or signs of an unseen issue?

Sludge/Debris
Name:  Sludge:Debri Inside Head.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  75.3 KB

Water Mixing
Name:  signs of water damage 1.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  43.8 KB

I will be swinging by Sears tomorrow to replace the ratchet and a breaker bar. I want to have the block ready for a machinist review by Monday.

Mahalo!

My 1970 C20 Build Thread

Last edited by Jahloha; 11-29-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #44
litew8

4 bolt "main"s have 4 bolts securing the "main" bearings. You have 2 on each end, so it's only a 2 bolt. From what I know, sludge build up is usually caused by cold running engines. Not damaging I don't believe. Not sure where you got the water.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #45
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
4 bolt "main"s have 4 bolts securing the "main" bearings. You have 2 on each end, so it's only a 2 bolt. From what I know, sludge build up is usually caused by cold running engines. Not damaging I don't believe. Not sure where you got the water.
Lite, thanks for the help. I thought so, but didn't want to assume haha. So is it common for the others to have four bolts?

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #46
faribran

This IS a 4 bolt main engine
Old 11-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #47
litew8

Oh man, I goofed. Sorry, too much turkey I guess. Faribran is right. I had it backwards (mains). The outers are 2 and the inners are 4. 2 bolt block they'd all be 2 bolts.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #48
swamp rat

Absolutely a 4 bolt. Sludge is from running the oil too long (non frequent changes) and thermal breakdown

>>> Also, there was no sign of a gasket/seal under the head covers or intake manifold, is that normal???<<<

Its common to not use the front and rear intake manifold gaskets and replace with a 1/4" bead of proper silicone, it is not normal to omit the intake to head gaskets, these gaskets seal the intake runners as well as water ports.

I'm gonna predict your bearings and other ware parts will show some abnormal wear, push rods, rockers. hopefully the crankshaft will still be a good serviceable core, plan on replacing the camshaft and lifters, which is normal.

Per the heads and block, unless they find any cracks then they most likely are fine.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #49
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by faribran View Post
This IS a 4 bolt main engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Oh man, I goofed. Sorry, too much turkey I guess. Faribran is right. I had it backwards (mains). The outers are 2 and the inners are 4. 2 bolt block they'd all be 2 bolts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Absolutely a 4 bolt. Sludge is from running the oil too long (non frequent changes) and thermal breakdown

>>> Also, there was no sign of a gasket/seal under the head covers or intake manifold, is that normal???<<<

Its common to not use the front and rear intake manifold gaskets and replace with a 1/4" bead of proper silicone, it is not normal to omit the intake to head gaskets, these gaskets seal the intake runners as well as water ports.

I'm gonna predict your bearings and other ware parts will show some abnormal wear, push rods, rockers. hopefully the crankshaft will still be a good serviceable core, plan on replacing the camshaft and lifters, which is normal.

Per the heads and block, unless they find any cracks then they most likely are fine.
Thanks a lot guys. I was definitely scratching my head last night, trying to understand what I had. I am happy it is a 4 bolt, although I don't plan on running a ton of horses, from my understanding, 4 bolt will help with possible future power enhancements and leaking issues.

Also, I remember reading the silicone method Swamp, so thanks for the reminder.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #50
Jahloha

UPDATE:

Got some sun and some time this afternoon while the baby slept and got to work on cleaning the front end of 40+ years of grime. In hindsight, even before starting today, I wish I had taken the truck somewhere to clean without worry; but oh well.

I hooked my pressure washer to our hot water line for our washer, man what a difference then from the other night using cold water. It was extremely filthy, took my three times as long to clean off the drive afterwards. But I am happy it is done.

There is still some residue in hard to reach places, but I can address those when I tear down those sections (brakes, coils, etc). I keep saying it, but I am trying to get ready to be in the garage for the long haul, once the snow comes. We have had a crazy long fall, snowing only once in early October.

I know its not exciting, but for anyone who has cleaned their own chassis may appreciate this.

Name:  1:4 Engine Bay Cleaned.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  45.1 KB
Name:  Result of Example.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  55.2 KB
Name:  In the Drive Way.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  46.5 KB

My 1970 C20 Build Thread