The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #26
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Re: The Army 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
......if you want to hit where you're aiming the weapon....you'd better put 200 practice rounds through it as I did, before I was tested for my ribbon............................
This part of the statement sticks out for me. Really this would apply to any weapon, some say you need 1500 rounds for muscle memory and proficiency.
Perhaps it's true, but practice is a good thing.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #27
Desert_Eagle02

Yeah I have heard that the 1911s were all worn out rattle traps by the time they adopted the M9 in the 80's. Now the M9s are that way so they are switching to the Sig.

I'd buy one if they are in decent shape, but the ordering sight unseen scares me. I'll wait till I see what people are receiving and then decide whether or not I'm going to roll the dice on one. I mean brand new Colt Series 70s are selling for $800 right now. A few hundred more will get you a brand new Gold Cup.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #28
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
To each their own. The more people who don't participate, the better the lottery odds for those who do. The CMP's forums are full of "I'm out" announcements from civil libertarians, the penurious, etc. Works for me, ya either pays your money and takes your chances or you don't.
As a repeat CMP customer, I whole-heartedly agree with ya.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #29
Willie Makeit

Quote:
When I googled the 911 sale from the Goverment I found this Comment to Share with you all ,,curious of your opinion of the Comment

Wordell Jan 6, 2018
If these are are in the condition to the one I qualified with as an "Expert" while in the Navy in 1972......if you want to hit where you're aiming the weapon....you'd better put 200 practice rounds through it as I did, before I was tested for my ribbon. I purchase 200 rounds of ammunition myself and practised before I took the test, and scored well enough to be awarded the "E" pin to attach to my ribbon. These weapons will be worn mechanically, and the barrels will definitely be worn out, and although most were probably cleaned after use by the person firing it........don't count on it. There could be corrosion and metal fouling (lead, copper) of the barrel rifling and barrel itself. There are companies that provide replacement parts for these .45's...so you can refurbish your "classic" 1911 if you want at a relatively low price. The "gubmint" isn't going to give these away and you can be sure some bureaucrat that has no idea what the market will bear on the price of these pistols....................will attach a very "LAUGHABLE" high price to these pistols. Remember this: If you're buying it to shoot, forget it. You can buy a Turkish made Girsan brand 1911 that exceeds the physical quality and shooting accuracy of a Colt or Remington or trendy "Inland" .45 (made in Dayton) .45 1911. If you're buying it for the nostalgia of having a WW 2 1911 .45 (if you're able to select the year of the weapon prior to purchase...don't count on ANT cooperation from these government bozo's on your weapon......been there done that as a licensed firearm dealer ALLOWED to purchase their overflow)..........well then go for it, Skippy. In reality...save your money for a better buy somewhere down the road............................
pretty apparent the guy quoted doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about since the CMP is not a government agency nor do they employee any government personnel. the staff is volunteers.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #30
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
To each their own. The more people who don't participate, the better the lottery odds for those who do. The CMP's forums are full of "I'm out" announcements from civil libertarians, the penurious, etc. Works for me, ya either pays your money and takes your chances or you don't.
yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
As a repeat CMP customer, I whole-heartedly agree with ya.
and yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
pretty apparent the guy quoted doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about since the CMP is not a government agency nor do they employee any government personnel. the staff is volunteers.
and yep again!

Quote:
When I googled the 911 sale from the Goverment I found this Comment to Share with you all ,,curious of your opinion of the Comment

<snip>
agree with other responses above.. I scored expert with m1911 and m14 and later m9 and m16 fairly easily.. basic marksmanship quals are not that difficult, even when the pistol quals with the M1911 were 25yds, m9 now being out to 15yds only when I retired..

I also ran good scores in my PWCs and PWC lowlight courses [Practical Weapons Course] fairly easily..

PWC proficiency is required for your ATC [Authorization To Carry] and weapons pull cards to draw weapons from the armory for duty, range, training, cleaning assignments, etc..

in the NECC or NCW anyways, we run PWC and PWC lowlight for pistol and rifle and PWC for shotgun.. yep, PWC for shotgun includes a pellet count on targets

you must have a current ATC with your qualified weapons listed on you while carrying and your pull card stays in the armory rack while you have it checked out..

for unit wide range training, qual shoots, etc., the armory crew generally brings the weapons and assigns to shooters as required..

as an armory supervisor, RSO/OIC, line coach, etc., I've heard every silly excuse in the book from shooters that blame their weapons for their own poor marksmanship

even worked with some gunners that would oblige shooters by allowing them to swap weapons with previous shooters that scored high.. guess what the results usually were..

like they say, 'bad carpenters blame their tools'

about midway through my last deployment, our sustainment quals were due and the combined armory crew was running daily range shoots to catch folks from various watch groups..

I came off the water from a double after covering for a sick shipmate and only had a couple of nods between patrols for about 36hrs..

still managed sharpshooter in the basic marksmanship courses.. and I'm no top tier operator or anything, just a country farm boy with decent shooting skills..

crew served weapons issued to watch groups are signed over by s/n from watch officer > watch officer until returned to the armory..

daily cleaning and function checks usually assigned to watch groups on a rotating cycle per posted schedule..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
As I mentioned previous, I carried a 1911 while in 'Nam in 69/70. Basic training was in summer of '67 and qualified on the M14. Qualified as a Sharpshooter, missed Expert by two rounds. Familiarized also on the Browning M2 .50 Cal heavy machine gun. Would "almost" give my left one to get on the back side of a fifty again.

Mid '67 it was almost a given as to where you would wind up after basic. Went to Germany for 14 months first, then 12 months "Sunny South East Asia" deluxe tour all on my Uncle Sam's credit card.
thank you for your service in one of the most difficult times in our history!

I thought I had my fill of m2hb, 240n [m60 in your military days], mk19 [crowd pleaser ], even the m79 and m203 we use primarily for lumes..

but alas, after nearly 10 years retired, I do miss it and like most folks say, you remember more of the good stuff than the bad stuff..

so here's a little ma duece music for ya!

Old 05-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #31
Killer Bee

received an email update yesterday, good luck to anyone submitting for one!

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

Quote:
CMP 1911 pricing:

CMP has priced the 1911 type pistols at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation.

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950.
Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850.
Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction. Note: If you have already purchased a 1911 from CMP you will not be allowed to purchase an auction 1911. If you purchase an auction 1911, your name will be pulled from the sequenced list. No repeat purchasers are allowed until all orders received have been filled.

The shipping cost is included in the price.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #32
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I'm out. I wish you the best. Spending that kind of cash for something in that condition isn't for me. I'm not a collector.

In the last month I've bought a new .25-06 and sent one of my 1909 Remington Model 10's off for restoration. Plus I'm turning my Axis 223 into a sleeper bench rest rifle
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:21 AM   #33
In The Ten Ring

I'm planning to bid up to 100K on one of the Singer versions if my agent says CMP has any.

*Ten Ring, wake up from the dream! Your lotto numbers didn't come in!

I'll probably pass on a CMP 1911....although I'd love to hand one to dad. He hated the one he was issued in the Army but the Army never rebuilt any 1911's, apparently his barrel bushing was badly worn as he complained bitterly about its lack of accuracy.

Here is my "1911-ish." Smith and Wesson E Series Performance Center. IF I can get a good thumb break or Safariland retention holster for it I'll get back to carrying it this winter.
Attached Images

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 05-14-2018 at 01:30 AM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #34
Willie Makeit

are they expensive? yes, because these sidearms are for collectors. not tin can shooters.