The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #1
Pinchecharlie

Carb advice wanted

Good morning, scumitt has edlbrock avs2 carbs on sale right now for 300 bucks. Now I do t won't to start a carb brand argument so let's just talk cfm. The carb on sale is a 650 cfm. Now I think a 500 is enough for a stock 350 probably and I know a 600 is standard but would a 650 be way to much for a stock 350 ? It's only 40 bucks more for a 1406 but the avs2 looks pretty nice and it's about a 100 more for it in 600cfm. You get a free air cleaner and fender protector too. The only.thing not stock is the manifold(edlbrock perfomer) and the ignition and it's got ram horns. No cam no heads no valve work stroke or compression changes. Thanks charlie
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Carb advice wanted

In theory a 650 might be too big but stock 350’s came with 750 cfm quadrajets.
While that 300 bucks might seem like a bargain there are always extra costs with eddy carbs.
You might need a heat spacer. 40 bucks.
An adaptor to put a squarebore carb on a spreadbore intake. 20 to 40 more.
Possibly a fuel regulator. Eddy carbs don’t like more than 5 psi. Another 50 bucks.
Now you’re up into the 450 to 500 range.
A well built quadrajet can be had for 350 bucks and needs no extras. Even a Holley 600 would fit the bill.
What carb you got now?
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
B. W.

I'm with geezer, hard to beat a Qjet. With that said, I'm running a 650 AVS cause I had the parts & it works well. If starting from scratch would go Qjet BUT I'd love to try the AVS2 and that's a great price! (Didn't help at all did I?)

Also, IMO, you'll be fine with the 650 vs 600.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Pinchecharlie

Right now I have a 1405 that needs rebuilt (came on truck , can't adjust idle circuit and have blown it out and cleaned a bit, it's dirrrrty ! Needs rebuilt and the Manuel choke is set up bad. ) was thinking of electric choke and a manifold as up grade? I was going to rebuild the 1405 as a back up or sell . My only experience with holleys was on big engines running a 750 and I wanted to dumb it down a bit. I have a dead q-jet and just was being lazy. To be honest I would like to just buy a carb manifold set up instead of rebuild but that's realllllly lazy. I had a bary grant before and a quick fuel before but it was racing stuff. Apple's and bananas. Well the street avenger looks awesome to but it's way more. Hmm..for 300 can t go to bad right but didn't want to spend a lot of time re reconfiguring it due to size being a tad big but now I am just really a lazy ass. My wife just asked if I could put a second story on the house! Ok more personal experiences if you have them. Thanks charlie
Old 02-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
geezer#99

What do you mean by ‘can’t adjust idle circuit’?
If you screw in either one with no response that means you need to close the primary throttle enough to get back on the idle circuit. You could be idling on the power circuit.

I see you live up in elevation, what’s your initial timing?
Old 02-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #6
Pinchecharlie

Yeah that's it, when I try to adjust the idle screws with vacum gauge and set idle speed ect...the adjustment screws do nothing at all ? I googled it and did what edlbrock said but it did nothing and or I didn't fix it. To be fair I didn't pull the carb and really go through it. Oh jeez the timing is set around 32 total? Initial maybe 14? I can't remember and I am a novice engine tuner. I t has been awhile since I'd done any tune stuff and I had to refresh my memory . I remember setting it as recommended but I dunno about elevation. We're at 5200 here in Bozeman. Engine starts real hard too and it bogs down from idle to wot but only under load? So it's hard to start(choke helps a bit), it will idle real nice and rev real nice in park and it bogs and stumbles under load from rolling to wot but runs well with minimal throttle like no major throttle change? Well now iam embarassed because i have a tune issue and i was just going to buy parts!! I used a good light, vacum gauge and a external tach but no replacing experience. Hmmm what a ya think?
Old 02-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
geezer#99

Most distributors have close to 26 degrees in them so it’s likely your initial is closer to 6 degrees. You need to bump that up to 14.
I mention elevation because I grew up and lived in Alberta just north of you. First thing we did to our motors was adjust the timing curve. More initial. Usually started at 14 and bumped up from there. At elevation the air is thinner and your motor runs slightly richer and you need to start the burn way earlier.
Break out the timing light and have at it.
Here’s a link on timing.

http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...d=76/prd76.htm

Once you got your timing squared away and your carb working better then decide if it’s worth changing out your carb.
Also be prepared for how the ambient temps effect your tune. When it gets warmer you might need to tweak a bit more.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
Pinchecharlie

Hey thanks I am getting it in my garage and will go through it again before I order anything else. Thanks for the link and tips.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
franken

I have a few 650 spreadbore Holley's that were QJ replacements lying around. PM if interested.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:17 PM   #10
Dead Parrot

I have a 1405 on my 75. Works great but it does need to have the power pistons pulled and cleaned every year or so. Probably the cheap e10 gas.

Unless the PO retuned that carb for altitude, you are almost certainly running rich. Also, it is very likely that the floats are out of adjustment.

Get a rebuild kit and two or three cans of cleaner. Have a small parts bowl for all the little clips, springs and such. The kit will include new ones but sometimes they escape. The how-to instructions are in the kit as well.

Let us know what jets, rods and springs you have. Someone will chime in with tuning suggestions.

Since you already have a 1405, the AVS would likely be a direct drop in but it would be worth a call to support to verify.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #11
Pinchecharlie

Wow thanks guys that great advice and a very nice offer on carbs! So today's ny 50th b-day and my gift is working on the truck Lol! So I dug in there and had some obvious problems. One the chock cable didn't allow it to return properly? Had a little vacum port thing that was loose and the throttle linkage is a mess. So I pulled it all off and will start to fix stuff. The manifold is a stock looking piece and I am really wanting a aluminum one as a treat and because I wanna have all the stuff match up ? I'll post some pics. Also the manifold and carb gasket don't look like a match but I dunno enough to say. I'll post some pics. Thanks I am having fun and it's going good (no jinks) good news is I pulled the valve covers for the first time expecting the worse and the heads/valves springs/rockers ect look new! Hooray (for nuow anyway. Thanks again fellas I appreciate it!
First pic is the vacum port ,it had a loop of those around 2 ports and a connection to tranny (350 turbo) the entire connection was floppy loose at manifold base. What's the vacum actuate at the tranny?
2 is the gasket/mounting surface you get it. This look right?
3 rd is just a dirty carb but just in case somebody sees something I'll post it.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #12
geezer#99

Vac for the tranny is for the modulator. It controls your shift points.
You must of had a spacer between the carb and intake. Otherwise how did the throttle open with that gasket on there.
Where’s the pics with the valve covers off?
Old 02-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #13
Pinchecharlie

Looks like a 1/4 inch deal then a gasket? Is it Right? Maybe the heads aren't brand spanking but they look real clean? Pics as requested. Thanks geezer. You still in Canada? We go to Calgary now and again.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #14
geezer#99

Oh no!!
That’s no good!!
Those rockers are too clean!
Just kidding!
Looks good under there.
You might of had a vacuum leak on the drivers side of the carb. Looks a little sooty.

What are you gonna use for an intake?

We’re on the west coast now. On Vancouver island about 40 miles north of Nanaimo. Retired out here 8 years ago. The wife flys back to the cowtown twice a year to see family.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #15
Pinchecharlie

I dunno i think a performer eps would be good. I love Vancouver. We have a good friend who maried a canuck and their on the island. I grew up in Hawaii I've only been here for 14 yrs. Sleeping with tourists landed me in Montana! Balmy 40° in the garage today! So I'll do manifold and felpro gaskets and bolts. New phenolic spacer and gasket rebuild kit and new linkage and fix choke. Well that should keep me busy for a few days! Be eaiser to bolt on new carb huh? Iam lucky and made some money but i should earn it. Ill be pissed if i rebuild it and cant get it to work. I dunno why carbs seem like black magic . I read the manuel last night and understood a 1/3 of what I read at best. Floats I've done and I've messed with jets before but had help from a tuner. Well see. Thanks again I enjoy and need the help.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #16
geezer#99

Cool day here too.
We had a foot of snow last weekend. It’ll all be gone by Tuesday. Nice to walk outside and hear the sea lions barking a hundred yards away in the water.
One thing on your floats. Set them 1/8 inch lower. Elevation (less air pressure) let’s them float a bit higher.
Carbs are simply a regulated big siphon box.
Let us know if you have any more problems.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #17
Pinchecharlie

Kid I bought the truck from said he didn't know about the motor. Thought it was just pulled from a truck? Think I got lucky for the first time. Guides and valves look new not much carbon and this is how I found the lifter valley. Should I have drained the block before I did This? I couldn't remember but obvious answer cause I got a little coolant mess
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #18
geezer#99

Not much mess.
Really clean.
Oil change after it’s all togethor is mandatory.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #19
Pinchecharlie

Quick question , can I just dip these carb parts in a bucket style cleaner? Meaning just submerge the whole throttle body and top section? Don't want to mess anything up but looks like a lot of scrubby!?
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #20
Pinchecharlie

Forgot! Do you think these idle screws and or the seats are toast? They decently look over turned/mis sharpen or that material is kinda buggered up?
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #21
Dead Parrot

If that carb was sitting directly on top of that gasket in pic 2 post #11, your idle problem is likely found. You need a gasket that matches the 4 holes in your carb. Looks like someone improvised a bad substitute for the adapter plate you need between a spreadbore Q-jet type of manifold and the squarebore 1405.

As for the cleaner bucket, as long the cleaner is for carbs dunk away. A used toothbrush makes a good cleaning brush.

While is it apart, check out what jets, rods and spring color you have.

Possible that manifold port gizmo was off an emission engine with extra vacuum gizmos to hook up. The loop just plugged up the unneeded ports. The line to the transmission helps the transmission pick shift points.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #22
geezer#99

Mix screws don’t look too bad.
Clean them up with some emery cloth or super fine sand paper.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:15 PM   #23
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
If that carb was sitting directly on top of that gasket in pic 2 post #11, your idle problem is likely found. You need a gasket that matches the 4 holes in your carb. Looks like someone improvised a bad substitute for the adapter plate you need between a spreadbore Q-jet type of manifold and the squarebore 1405.

As for the cleaner bucket, as long the cleaner is for carbs dunk away. A used toothbrush makes a good cleaning brush.

While is it apart, check out what jets, rods and spring color you have.

Possible that manifold port gizmo was off an emission engine with extra vacuum gizmos to hook up. The loop just plugged up the unneeded ports. The line to the transmission helps the transmission pick shift points.
Well I read, 1405 is for performance and 1406 economy. So the main jets and secondary jets as well as rod and spring are bigger base line in the 1405 than 06. Also the altitude calibration according to edlbrock should be 3 times leaner. So I'll get a lot and change all that stuff this week. Yeah I thought the manifold/gasket/adapter looked real wrong. Well I am just going to through money at it and order a new manifold meant for the carb. Also read that the fuel pressure was important too so **** what a mess. Good news is I don't have to rebuild the engine! So new manifold new regulator, re calibrate the carb for economy/altitude and drain/clean tank new lines from tank a couple filters and new linkage have and choke and **** o dear I have a new fuel system and all for under a grand lol! Should just buy a new carb too! Thanks and if you have any ideas I am all ears
Old 02-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #24
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Mix screws don’t look too bad.
Clean them up with some emery cloth or super fine sand paper.
Thanks boss will do!
Old 02-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #25
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Youtube videos can help with your carb rebuild if you aren't sure how to go about it. It's sometimes easier to see something done versus reading about it.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote