The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #26
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Big back window conversion part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
"Wouldn't it have been cheaper (not to mention a helluva lot faster) to have searched for a big window cab that only needed the typical cab corners?"

Dan, around here a BBW cab that only needs cab corners will be attached to the rest of the truck and the price will be $20K or more.
Yeah, I suppose everywhere ISN'T like the Southwest. My point wasn't to criticize. I too admire the chutzpah to take on a near-total disassembly of a cab like that. But I know other in the future read these threads and should know (If they're out here I suppose) that big window cabs are still available; though admittedly getting more rare.

To the OP, absolutely NO offense intended. I will not speak ill of the hugely talented individuals like you and Bam that LIKE to take on these huge challenges!
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #27
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Ok someone's gotta say it, I'll be the A-hole. You've got AT LEAST $768.00 in that cab (not even mentioning the labor and welding supplies that will be involved) AND the inner steps you mention will be needed.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper (not to mention a helluva lot faster) to have searched for a big window cab that only needed the typical cab corners?
For you and me it would but he either wants to keep the original front half of the cab or hasn't been able to find one that is either affordable or in good enough condition to make it worth buying in his area. I could probably find a buildable big window cab and chassis for under 500 bucks within 100 miles of my house pretty easy but in some areas of the country that will get you a rusted out hulk without a title and not much more.

Plus it has to be worth something to not have to contend with straightening out the normally beat up back panels of the cab off the donor truck. That will probably help ease the cost of that back panel quite a bit.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #28
thump16

Bingo! I envy you guys out west. Big window trucks on east coast mean big money.
Posted via Mobile Device
thump16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #29
Painter D

Just watching

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #30
thump16

I am gonna grind off old mounting tabs this weekend and do a trial mock up of complete window with pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #31
1project2many

Quote:
I could probably find a buildable big window cab and chassis for under 500 bucks within 100 miles of my house pretty easy
Keep it up and you're likely to get a new neighbor. I've got family in WA anyway. And since I just learned most accidents happen within 20 miles of my house I've got plenty of reasons to move.

Thump, are you MIG welding this together or do you have spot weld equipment?
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #32
buggy5872

Looks great and now you know what the real inside of the cab looks like. Best part is now you dont have to deal with putting new cab corners on. I would agree that good cabs are hard to come by here in the north east. I shed a tear when I cut up a pretty much rust free cab when making big bertha but it was for a good cause and I got over it quickly. I have a sugestion for you. if you are going with 3 point seat belts....now would be a good time to put a reinforcing plate and weld in a nut for your upper mount. I had a heck of a time getting mine in from the bottom of the inner cab.
1957 3100 with 59 fleetside bed
1957 5700 LCF Crew Cab "Big Bertha",1959 GMC F370
1958 GMC 600, 1946 Chevy, 1959 Viking 60 LCF
1974 Elcamino SS, 1979 6500 GMC Tilt Bed Wrecker
Big Bertha Build
buggy5872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #33
thump16

I am going to get a spot weld gun and my buddy is gonna teach me to use it. Thanks for reminding me about seat belts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #34
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump16 View Post
I am going to get a spot weld gun and my buddy is gonna teach me to use it. Thanks for reminding me about seat belts.
Posted via Mobile Device
If your buying one this is the one to get
http://www.usaweld.com/Quick-Spot-II-p/60501.htm
Its much better than the Hobart/Miller/harborfreight one.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #35
tbrown5079

Good work on the project and posting the progress for everyone else. Brings back memories when I did the same thing. I lucked out by finding a back window and roof already cut out and used that. I did put a whole new back panel on though.
I go by the principle that if it was easy, everyone would have one.
I changed mine because I scored on a set of cameo bedsides and really like that look.
tbrown5079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #36
1project2many

That looks like a decent gun for a home user. When you start dropping in price the duty cycle decreases and the welder can get fairly warm if you do a series of continuous spots. It's not a bad idea to familiarize yourself with resistance welding before actually starting: http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/Resistance.pdf

I have an old spot welder here I'd love to try. It's a professionally made model similar to this one: http://www.vintageprojects.com/metal...WeldingGun.pdf
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #37
Russell Ashley

Any updates? New pics?
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #38
thump16

I am gonna post up some pics later tonight. I still have to replace inner cab corners but i have all the window trim braces and inner window ready to be drilled & welded in. I had to cut out the entire striker latch assembly front facing sheetmetal on the replacement inner panel. This made mounting inner window easy. Easy stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #39
thump16

ok so far I have gotten the minor fab work out of the way. This next step is fitting inner cab window with pillars and roof.

I cut out the entire front face of the inner window frame to include striker latch mount assembly (this part is the same as the actual original cab pillar. Then I bent the window braces to their correct position for welding to cab pillar. The next post will show how the braces set sit and where they are to be welded up. Last pic shows brace and cab without pillar.
Attached Images

Last edited by thump16; 11-25-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #40
thump16

These pictures show where the inner window and brackets sit. nothing is welded in yet just positioned. Still have to repair my inner cab corners. These are the exact positions that the brackets are welded in. There is also a weld going up the side brace and pillar. Every piece becomes one unit once welded in.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #41
thump16

fitment from roof to pillars. the whole unit fit snug but I zip tied it since I left it over night as a secure measure.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #42
thump16

I noticed that the inner upper cab wall doesn't seat fully forward against the pillar for mounting (neither di the original). I will go in similar to the original inner panel. That is all for now. I have enlightened you on the mystery of the inner big window panel. The replacement parts and an original BBW will vary but the design and support structure are basically the same. Here is an original I took from a members (Tbrown5079) build. Notice how it is welded in and along the pillar.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #43
Painter D

Any new progress?

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #44
sqrlnts

Wow, Thats a hell of a project. Keep it up!
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #45
Shanehenrymusic

Way to go! I did a big window conversion on my pickup - here's my thread if you wanna check it out. I bought a rusty BBW cab for 200$ and just cut the section of the cab out. I followed a Custom Classic Trucks article from 2006 (Which the article did not show many steps involved) It's a time consuming process but will be worth it when your done.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492002
Shanehenrymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #46
thump16

No progress yet. Been working on my 84 lq4 swap. I did manage to score big back glass for the project. I will finish up around feb. Shane, the 55-59 trucks are hard to come by round here. They are coveted highly. The big window trucks are hidden away.
[size=1]
Old 01-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #47
Shanehenrymusic

Thump16 - there's plenty of them floating around here in the Oklahoma/Kansas area.. I currently have four original big Back window trucks. I have a nice BBW gmc cab too. When I find em forsale cheap I buy em... You'll appreciate this truck more after putting the Blood, sweat and tears into it... there reason I did my BBW conversion is because my 55 truck is the first pickup my Grandpa bought me when i was 12...keep up the good work.
Shanehenrymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #48
thump16

I am retiring this yr. 21 yrs in AF. My 56 is the truck me & my baby girl are gonna cruise to home depot with & ice cream missions.

Sledge
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #49
4544speed

If you are serious about the ice cream missions you owe it to her to take her to Hanks Ice cream. Stores in Houston and Atlanta only. They have the best butter pecan and banana pudding. No this is not advertising for them, It really is that good.
4544speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #50
thump16

I will remember that. We have brusters & they have a winter schedule.lol. it will be 79 degrees here on friday. The 56 means alot to me. It represents me taking the time to restore it right & there isnt any rush on completing the entire truck right now. Just the cab work. Now if some of the board members wanna come over and help me, i can provide the food and beverages. Lol. Seriously though, i have to get the 84 c10 done by feb to clear up my garage. We welded up my stepnotches for the 56 on sunday. I hope to have the frame painted and cab on it by late april.
Posted via Mobile Device