The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
Jmoney01

Duetz powered?

My 1980 c30 dump is need of a new powerplant soon. The 292 is giving up. In a piece of equipment I can acquire a 5 cyl air cooled Duetz. How large of a job are we looking at to make it to my 4 sp trans and squeeze into the truck? I know heat might be a small issue. Will the trans mount up? Will this be enough power to pull skid loader and a load of gravel?

Thanks
Jmoney01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Duetz powered?

I would not trust a air cooled engine under extreme loads like that.

I think Deutz engines were used in stationary applications, and the load is constant.

You can get a 6BT Cummins quite cheap off eBay, and it will pull the hills flat. Plus the engine is thermally regulated so overheating is less of a issue.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
sweetk30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I would not trust a air cooled engine under extreme loads like that.

I think Deutz engines were used in stationary applications, and the load is constant.

You can get a 6BT Cummins quite cheap off eBay, and it will pull the hills flat. Plus the engine is thermally regulated so overheating is less of a issue.
you never seen a deutztractoer ? some skid steers used them . vermer trenchers used them . yes power plant setups used them also . but there a tuff unit for sure . and as you said prob not the best choice for a road use setup for working . hot rod / rat rod yes maybe .

i saw a pair of v8 deutz engines 1 time years ago . they use to spin gen sets before they were removed . . . and before you get any ideas they were MASSIVE engines .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
nonstop

Can it be done? Probably
Has it been done? Probably not
Easiest, cheapest, and likely most dependable option would be to rebuild that 292 unless you truly want to be different, but then a working truck might not be the best option for a one off transplant.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
sweetk30

3cyl swap ford ranger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT0MS0TP0p4

5cyl swap f-250 crew cab https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JauAhW_NTBY

and many more https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tz+engine+swap

Old 12-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
nonstop

Wow! Well I stand corrected!
Old 12-31-2018, 04:57 PM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
you never seen a deutztractoer ? some skid steers used them . vermer trenchers used them . yes power plant setups used them also . but there a tuff unit for sure . and as you said prob not the best choice for a road use setup for working . hot rod / rat rod yes maybe .

i saw a pair of v8 deutz engines 1 time years ago . they use to spin gen sets before they were removed . . . and before you get any ideas they were MASSIVE engines .
The problem with all air cooled engines is thermal cycling or inability to maintain ideal temps. The way he described the idea is that he was going to tow at full load, and likely hood of slow speeds up hill.

What little I know of skid steer and such is they are not loaded up for minutes on end. So they have time to cool down in between cycles of work. Plus they were designed to be in such a application so the area they set in was designed for air flow. A pick up with out popping the hood for instance up for extra ariflow will have troubles cooling itself. Also a operator who is trained to operate the engine, and not overload it.

I have had many VW's and they need air flow. Also life span is troublesome due to lack of thermal stability.

In his case I would put my money on a Cummins. It was designed to work in a nearly exactly the same vehicle. It is his money, and there is lots of things I do not know of air cooled diesels.

For ****s and giggles yes I would. To work I would think really hard about laws of unintended consequences.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
AJC

I know a GMC C7000 could be optioned with a Deutz BF6L air cooled diesel. Cant see why it wouldn't work for you. Probably makes about the same power as your 292. What Model is it?

Name:  Deutz.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  56.1 KB

Last edited by AJC; 12-31-2018 at 08:23 PM.
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
Jmoney01

It's a c30. The c7000 setup is what I've seen. I could go with a clark 5 speed but really hoping to use the 4 speed. If it works it's a free motor and my time to squeeze it in the truck. There was a mention in an old post of a 70's model with one. Would love to look at that
Old 12-31-2018, 09:39 PM   #10
sweetk30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
The problem with all air cooled engines is thermal cycling or inability to maintain ideal temps. The way he described the idea is that he was going to tow at full load, and likely hood of slow speeds up hill.

What little I know of skid steer and such is they are not loaded up for minutes on end. So they have time to cool down in between cycles of work. Plus they were designed to be in such a application so the area they set in was designed for air flow. A pick up with out popping the hood for instance up for extra ariflow will have troubles cooling itself. Also a operator who is trained to operate the engine, and not overload it.

I have had many VW's and they need air flow. Also life span is troublesome due to lack of thermal stability.

In his case I would put my money on a Cummins. It was designed to work in a nearly exactly the same vehicle. It is his money, and there is lots of things I do not know of air cooled diesels.

For ****s and giggles yes I would. To work I would think really hard about laws of unintended consequences.
then how was i able to plow all day long at 3-4 mph in the farm field pulling a 7 tooth chisel plow in gravel / top soil mix dirt all day long for weeks on end ? i was told that plow was for around a 170-180 hp tractor . but that deutz 110 hp 4x4 pulled it just fine .

deutz dx110 tractor . 2 pics of the style / model i use to drive . but was 4x4 . that grill opening in the front was small and tiny holes . but never over heated . even with the full side engine covers in place .

not saying its 100% ideal for his needs . just saying it can be done .
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2018, 10:30 PM   #11
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
then how was i able to plow all day long at 3-4 mph in the farm field pulling a 7 tooth chisel plow in gravel / top soil mix dirt all day long for weeks on end ? i was told that plow was for around a 170-180 hp tractor . but that deutz 110 hp 4x4 pulled it just fine .

deutz dx110 tractor . 2 pics of the style / model i use to drive . but was 4x4 . that grill opening in the front was small and tiny holes . but never over heated . even with the full side engine covers in place .

not saying its 100% ideal for his needs . just saying it can be done .
Engineers, mechanics, and lots of testing.

He can do it for all I care, but he will be the tech support line. I have been down that road many times doing something few have ever done before. Much less posted a detailed thread on.

He won't have a room full of trained staff, and several motors laying around for beta testing. So if he chooses to do it he better account for everything as modding mods gets old fast.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:10 PM   #12
nonstop

Since it was even an option in the larger trucks (I never knew) then it likely has an SAE bellhousing. With that, you can get SAE bellhousings to fit the SM-465, you just need to keep an eye out for one. You will also likely need to change the input shaft and bearing retainer to the CH-465 version. Beyond that, I’m pretty useless in the conversion.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:59 PM   #13
AJC

Here is a build of a Deutz 4x4(1985 GMC). That shows it will fit. Power wise it should be on par with your 292. Maybe a bit more torque. So if you can pull a skid loader and a load of gravel now you should be able to after. Heat was done using the oil. Nonstop is right there is a SAE bell housing for your transmission. Not super easy to find but they are out there. Otherwise you could make an adapter.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #14
Jmoney01

That link is what I was looking for. Thank you