The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
50bomb

Crossmember rivets

I have a 1965 Chevy c20 that I’ve taken out the original 3 speed manual. So far I have grinded out the lower rivets on the brackets and now I need to on the upper. The angle grinder doesn’t fit in between the frame. I don’t want to use a sawzall because I want to save the transmission crossmember. I used a dremel but was unsuccessful and blade just tore up. Those rivets are savage. Please let me know if there is a good electric grinder with cord that will do the job. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Macdaddy1

Re: Crossmember rivets

If you have room I drill mine out. Small drill and then increase size and then punch it out.
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
Killer Bee

agree with above, should be able to drill out with common tools you already have..

grind the head flat, make a good center punch, and progressively drill out until enough material is relieved to punch out..

an air chisel may work for you in low clearance positions where you can't attach the stud straight on..

we punch loose hucks out of truck and crane outrigger frame mounts frequently at work..

and replace them with tru-torq high strength bolts that can be re-tightened on inspection

I have this CP 717 super duty air hammer with quick change chuck and decent assortment of chisels kept very sharp..

it makes short work cutting heavy duty hucks, rivets, bolts, nuts, etc.. but please wear your PPE!

good luck!

Old 06-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
Macdaddy1

Killerbee

OOHHHH I want one of those.
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
Killer Bee

lol, yah, I needed tools like that for work, real time savers.. now since supervising, I can enjoy the luxury at home..

as for the CP717, just check out the reviews in that amazon link above, makes me giggle

and I am a well known snap-on snob but this model blows any snap-on hammer away, power wise

and when I say wear PPE, I mean good impact gloves, double hearing, glasses and face shield..

but for general automotive use, the IR114 is much more economical and takes standard .401 shank, the CP717 takes .498 shanks..

here's a top 10 review list for shoppers - Top 10 Best Air Hammers – 2018 Reviews

good luck and have fun!