The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
Wwes

Re: Intro from an old Assembly Plant guy

Keith,

I thoroughly enjoyed the last three hours spent reading your thread, with GM history and pictures. A couple things come to mind:

-My uncle worked St. Louis assembly putting these squares together from 80-86 or so. He moved up to Ft. Wayne, In when they opened that factory (was it for the GMT-400?). I always loved seeing his new GM products when I was 5-6 years old at the time, it made an impression. He's now retired but my cousin works there, which was disappointing when I found out my (then) new GMT-900 was assembled in Mexico.

-I still have the picture of my prom night standing beside my S10 Blazer 4x4. That was one tough little truck.

-Took the wife to the NCM in Bowling Green, drove her through the Assembly plant parking lot, she was amazed at the "GM" only, "Big Three" parking, and "Foreign makes behind this line" sign.

And finally, I was always a fan of the "cat eye" 2003 GMT-800 refresh. Matter of fact tried to work out a couple deals, but I was too cheap and dumb to pull the trigger at the time. Anyways, the first one I saw was parked at a gas station small town FL, the owner (a good ol country boy) was proud of his truck, long bed 4x4 single cab. I said "nice truck" he says "I'll sell it" and I said "I've only got 15k if that will do" - being somewhat serious - he was quite offended and said "I outta whip your ass for that comment" and looked like he was quite serious. Luckily the ass whipping was averted and my driveway is now full of current and past GM products.
Wwes is offline   Reply With Quote