The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2004, 01:14 PM   #1
n737nc

When it rains it pours....

The truck is parked, and not going to move for a while.
In the past 3 weeks, I have spent over $5000.00 between my vehicles and our house. It seems like it has been one thing after another.

Well, since today was going to be such a nice day weather wise. I thought I would drive the truck to work. I have made a few short trips around the house with the new motor, but this was going to be it's first long trip(30 miles).
Everything was going great. Then about 25 miles into the trip I started hearing a noise from under the hood. Pulled over to check it out. Shut off the engine, opened the hood, and nothing. Went to start it back up, and it acted like the battery was dead(real slow turning of the motor). So I shut it off, but it kept turning. I could not get it to stop trying to start.

I jumped out and popped the hood again, smoke was pouring out from the battery and starter. Had my trusty pair of pliers with me, so I disconected the battery. But, it was too late. All of the wirering to the battery and starter were melted.

The only thing that I can figure, was maybe the ignition stuck. I am going to tear it down, and rewire everything and replace the ignition. But I think I will take a few weeks off from it for now.

-Nick
n737nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:18 PM   #2
n737nc

On a side note- I had to have it towed home, and I was real nervous about trusting someone with my baby.
Found these guys in the yellow pages, and they were very good.

They took extra special care when loading, and even dropped it right into the garage(didn't even have to push it).

So, if anyone in the Dallas, Fort Worth area ever needs a tow, give these guy's a call.. Total charge for a 25 mile trip was $90.00

Gonzalez Wrecker Service
214-337-8888
Old 07-31-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
71swb4x4

Check around the manifolds, make sure the wires didn't get hot and melt to the manifolds.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
matt67350

Glad it didn't burn to the ground.
I'm in Ft Worth if you need any help with the wiring.
Good Luck,
Matthew
Old 07-31-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
n737nc

I checked all of the wires before I started it. Nothing was out of place.

matt67350-Thanks for the offer. But, I think I am going to sit on it for a while. I need a break from this truck. I have been working on it everyday for the last 3 weeks.
Maybe I will just tear it apart again and really redo the entire engine compartment(been wanting to do this for a while now). Maybe get it back out next year.

-Nick
Old 07-31-2004, 04:47 PM   #6
Southpa

I've had 2 occasions where the starter went off by itself, ie. kept turning even after shutting off the ignition (WHIRRRRRRRRRRRR!). Ya gotta get out there REAL KWIK with a 1/2" wrench to disconnect or it will suck the living daylights out of your battery. The first time was when the ignition wire to the starter was loose and grounding out. The second time was because of a broken fork inside of the starter.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote