The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #1
hattrick66

Good Buy?

Hello Everyone!

I have been browsing here for a few weeks and there is a ton of great info. I found a truck that I am pretty excited about (first older truck), but also know that I need to be cautious. I am scheduled to look at this truck and was hoping to get some feedback here about what you guys all think. I know I need to look at certain areas for rust in particular, but does anything about this prompt you to ask additional questions? I simply have no experience in buying or owning older trucks and don't want to miss something and regret the purchase. Thoughts?

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/ct...342629630.html

Thanks in advance!
-Kevin

Last edited by hattrick66; 10-12-2017 at 10:35 PM.
hattrick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
Husker

Re: Good Buy?

Look it over GOOD, crawl underneath check for rust, leaks etc.
looks like a nice truck I would think it is worth that.
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
davischevy

If what you can see suits you, get under the truck. The cab braces and inner rockers and floor will tell the story about the rest of the truck.

If the braces, inner rockers and cab corners are solid the rest of the cab is probably acceptable.

The AC compressor is missing. If AC is important to you, getting the AC working can be an expensive proposition if you have a shop do it.

The price doesn't look out of line, and he says he will negotiate.

What ever you decide, keep in mind, you will probably spend half the purchase price again before you are satisfied. I have never bought one that I didn't immediately start spending money on.

A similar truck sold here in the spring for $8,500. I talked to the new owner, and he said he has spent over $5,000 and hasn't started on the AC yet.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
sduckworth13

Looks real nice!! Looks like they put a grille on it too, which aren't very cheap.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
hattrick66

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
If what you can see suits you, get under the truck. The cab braces and inner rockers and floor will tell the story about the rest of the truck.

If the braces, inner rockers and cab corners are solid the rest of the cab is probably acceptable.

The AC compressor is missing. If AC is important to you, getting the AC working can be an expensive proposition if you have a shop do it.

The price doesn't look out of line, and he says he will negotiate.

What ever you decide, keep in mind, you will probably spend half the purchase price again before you are satisfied. I have never bought one that I didn't immediately start spending money on.

A similar truck sold here in the spring for $8,500. I talked to the new owner, and he said he has spent over $5,000 and hasn't started on the AC yet.
Thanks for the reply! AC isn't super important here in the northwest, most houses don't even have AC. Maybe eventually I will get there, but I'm sure I will spend money elsewhere first.

I am prepared to spend some money on it going forward, but would mainly like it to get me the 6 miles to and from work every day while I make improvements.

Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Nice lookin' rig. The seat and steering wheel are not original. Has a dash with no oil, water, volt gauges. Not rare, but not common. "Numbers matching" means nothing in old trucks.

First thing I would ditch are those weird looking steps. Price isn't too out of line. But shoot him a decent offer and see what he says.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
35boulder

Looks nice overall. Is it just the picture or is the passenger door "sprung" or just not closed all the way? Anyway, good luck.
35boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #8
flashed

Worth it all day here where I am and if you buy and dont like those steps I could use them on mine , Im short and my k10 is a little tall.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
hattrick66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Nice lookin' rig. The seat and steering wheel are not original. Has a dash with no oil, water, volt gauges. Not rare, but not common. "Numbers matching" means nothing in old trucks.

First thing I would ditch are those weird looking steps. Price isn't too out of line. But shoot him a decent offer and see what he says.

Gary
Yeah I will definitely update the seat cover at least and maybe the steering wheel later. But likely after I get comfortable with everything. I agree the steps need to go. Don't like the look at all and I'm 6'4" and doubt I'll need them.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
hattrick66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35boulder View Post
Looks nice overall. Is it just the picture or is the passenger door "sprung" or just not closed all the way? Anyway, good luck.
Not sure. I noticed it too and will take a close look when I see it.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #11
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Defiantly worth a good personal going over. Money might be right. Bring guns, flashlights, magnets and cash when you go to look at it.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #12
Jcfcamaro

As all mentioned in the above. Front bumper looks like a 71/72. I'd ditch the steps and put some bigger wheels and tires. Would really bring her to life.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #13
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Looks like a nice truck. I'd mostly worry what (if anything) was hiding under that shiny paint.

And there seems to be a bunch of wires behind the seat. Maybe for a sound system?? IDK.

But I'd check for any potential electrical demons.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #14
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Did you buy the truck? The owner of the ad removed it.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote