The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #76
hemi43

Re: soft topper tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by glove View Post
I am new here, but was a original owner of a 1972 Highlander plaid blazer that I ordered when I was 21. I sold it after 4 years. Some 40 + years later I picked up another 1972 blazer out of California. About 90 percent complete. I wanted to mention that I had a witch soft top on my old blazer that was second to none for fit air and water tight. I was shocked to discover that witco tops did not survive. I need to get soft top for my restored blazer but not sure what to get. I am considering a custom built top.
The Softopper has had lots of design and refinement work over the years. There's no way you'll be able to get a custom one-off top to even come close to the quality and fit of the Softopper. Even if you did, the cost would be 5 times.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #77
grillzy

I have seen lots of soft tops but softoppers are by far the best. I have one on a 1 gen K5 and a 3rd gen K5.
grillzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #78
wishmasstir

My softopper will be here tomorrow!! Can't wait to install it
wishmasstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #79
grillzy

Got my new one last week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishmasstir View Post
My softopper will be here tomorrow!! Can't wait to install it
grillzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #80
PSYCHO_OUTLAW

What is the best and cheapest place to get a soft topper... and potentially get military discount with it?
PSYCHO_OUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #81
wishmasstir

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHO_OUTLAW View Post
What is the best and cheapest place to get a soft topper... and potentially get military discount with it?
talk to softopper directly, there are NO coupons but I was able to get a deal on shipping.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #82
glove

To all of the soft top a rag top owners. In 1972 I purchased a Witch rag top. I installed it myself. I worked in construction at that time and got caught out in several down pours. My top never leaked a drop. Now I am in the market for a top and Witco is no longer in business. Part of the reason for the leakage I believe is the connection by the front windshield. The Witco top had stainless steel band that attached along the flange above the windshield. The top then came over the flange and hooked on at the bottom of the stainless steel. If you can picture that, it gave it a crown look that was very nice. I am going to have a Fab shop cut me a piece of stainless ansee if I can get one other top companies to add a piece to get the look that I had. If it works I will post some pics.
glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #83
rsavage

There is only top manufacturer - Softopper" that I am aware of that makes tops for 69-72 Blazers. They too have a stainless strip with a gasket that gets screwed to the windshield frame that the top snaps to. My top on the 71 I had leaked in the front corners, but not across the top where it snapped on the windshield frame.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #84
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by glove View Post
To all of the soft top a rag top owners. In 1972 I purchased a Witch rag top. I installed it myself. I worked in construction at that time and got caught out in several down pours. My top never leaked a drop. Now I am in the market for a top and Witco is no longer in business. Part of the reason for the leakage I believe is the connection by the front windshield. The Witco top had stainless steel band that attached along the flange above the windshield. The top then came over the flange and hooked on at the bottom of the stainless steel. If you can picture that, it gave it a crown look that was very nice. I am going to have a Fab shop cut me a piece of stainless ansee if I can get one other top companies to add a piece to get the look that I had. If it works I will post some pics.
The new tops from Softopper don't use the snap domes at the header anymore. They use a continuous connection point much like the one you mention.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #85
rsavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
The new tops from Softopper don't use the snap domes at the header anymore. They use a continuous connection point much like the one you mention.
Good to know. I am going to get one for the 69, but it's not ready yet to start putting it back together.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #86
wishmasstir

So, how in the heck does this soft top work??? Do you really just wedge the top into the jamb at the top of the door? Does the window go on the outside of the main portion of the soft top and then the rain flap goes on the outside of the window? It works but just seems like a pain, you have to put the window down, push the flap out of the way, shut the door then put the window up.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #87
hemi43

Quote:
So, how in the heck does this soft top work??? Do you really just wedge the top into the jamb at the top of the door? Does the window go on the outside of the main portion of the soft top and then the rain flap goes on the outside of the window? It works but just seems like a pain, you have to put the window down, push the flap out of the way, shut the door then put the window up.
Looks like you have a bastard child there. That top is designed for 69-72, but you have it installed on a 73-up truck which explains the pinch point. This doesn't happen on the first gen blazers. As far as the flap, I keep my window rolled up and flip the tab to the outside once the door is closed. This is easy when closing the door from outside, but when sitting in the truck you need to squeeze your fingers on top of the glass to reach the flap. Once you get used to it, it's no big deal.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 10:11 PM   #88
wishmasstir

It's the 73-75 top, not 69-72. I just bought it a couple weeks ago
Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #89
hemi43

Quote:
It's the 73-75 top, not 69-72. I just bought it a couple weeks ago
I thought 73-up had a half cab?

Edit; never mind, I just googled it.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:51 PM   #90
wishmasstir

Yea I didnt have a soft top over a hard cab haha
Old 04-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #91
hemi43

Quote:
Yea I didnt have a soft top over a hard cab haha
No, I thought someone had cut the half cab off. Ya learn something new everyday ! LOL
Might have better luck on the 73-up forum.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #92
CTENTA1
Registered 1971 K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
My issue is not at the top of the window rather the back. I was told the flap below goes inside the window. Well If I tried to close my door it is so tight it would shatter my window. The rubber channel on the back of the door rubs against the top material as well. I literally have to unbutton the top to keep it from nearly ripping off the top part of the rubber. Maybe I need to bend the flap or something? I have seen pictures where it's inside the window, but the window is pretty close the bracket holding the plastic strip. When my door is closed my window rolls up inside the strip. Any ideas?
Did you trim the top rear corners of your doors? I have never notice that on a K5 and also just notice Hemi43 has them like that as well. I had to go look at mine because I couldn't remember them being like that. Is it a year difference type of thing?
CTENTA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:32 PM   #93
wishmasstir

Does anybody have pictures of the top folder up? Like how does it store for driving around?
Old 06-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #94
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Does anybody have pictures of the top folder up? Like how does it store for driving around?
there's a video here
https://www.softopper.com/jeep-suv-t...-blazer-gen-1a
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #95
wishmasstir

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
yea it doesnt fold down inside the bed on the Gen 2 however. I did watch this video and get it folded up nicely into the bag.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #96
cpavelko

Bump!
So I bought one of these back in 2012 in White with clear windows. Living in San Diego with a high UV index, the windows have dried and yellowed pretty bad. I covered it for most of the time, but weather eventually got to these windows.

Cons:
Mine had not been watertight, mostly leaking at the top front of the windows but also at one of the seams.
My biggest complaint is the air leakage while driving at higher speeds. I'm surprised no one else has complained about this.

While in Boulder back in March, I stopped by Softtopper's facility to discuss options and to compare the old versus new version of the tops. The newer version does have a nicer seal at the front of the windshield header that appears like it would help with the wind noise. Can someone confirm how much this has been improved here?

I have 3 options for myself:
- Send back the old white top and have the windows replaced by Softtopper for a fee. They would add in better UV protected material.

- They still have a few older style tops in stock to replace the top altogether but only in two colors. I think Black and Tan? I would try to sell my white top since they don't make them any more.

- 3rd option would buy the entire new setup and sell my old setup.

Thoughts? Pros / Cons?
cpavelko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:19 PM   #97
Blazerowner

Possibly have a shop make windows that zip out would be an option. I wish mine did.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #98
6768chevylover

Quote:
While in Boulder back in March, I stopped by Softtopper's facility to discuss options and to compare the old versus new version of the tops. The newer version does have a nicer seal at the front of the windshield header that appears like it would help with the wind noise. Can someone confirm how much this has been improved here?
I wouldn't be able to compare your experience with mine but I when I drive I can have a conversation with people with out yelling(front and back seats). Even when im on the highway doing 70... Mines a newer style, had it for almost a yr now..
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #99
1972 Banana

Just installed the new Soft Topper top last weekend, pretty straight forward install, just make sure your careful with the header screws as they will strip out/Break if not carefull.
would be nice if they were of better quality or even torx bit instead of Philips head.

Have not had it out in the rain yet but after having the original convertible top cant see where it could be any worse as far as leaks, Window around the door frame seems to seal pretty good. Video did not show the forward support Bar being stowed with the top in the bag.

How do you store yours currently have mine in the bag, worried about how well the windows will hold up and how many scratches will show up from chafing being folded. Old top had the side windows that would detach.

any input would be appreciated!
1972 Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:31 PM   #100
Cadden

Hate to bump such an old thread, but I just got my new soft topper soft top for my 1970 jimmy. Their customer service, hardly answers honestly. I am waiting for an email response.

Everything went pretty sraight forward (after drilling out my 3 so badly rusted corner windshield bolts they were basically welded) I'm to the point where I'm hooking up the rear and front crossbars but the overall width is WAAAAY off and I can't hook the sides into the pins ln the bed rails. Instructions pictures are in black and white and really not that helpful but I'm fairly certain I've got everything installed correctly.

I waited quite a while for my top (7 months) as they had informed me they have a new vendor who makes the supports and what not.

Anyways, I can hook one side to the inside bed rail, but then the other side will be sticking OVER the bed rail by a good 6 to 8 inches.

Did I maybe get the incorrect cross bars? Could their new company have screwed up with their measurements. Or did I do something wrong?
Attached Images

Cadden is offline   Reply With Quote