The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
kcackler

2000 Chevy 3/4 ton stopped and won't start.

My friend has a 2000 chevy 3/4 ton with about 130K on it. He was driving to work this morning and it just died on him. No stuttering, just death. He couldn't get it started again. So today while he's working, I'm supposed to be trying to see what's going on.

It turns over strong but just never catches and turns on. He's tight on cash so we're hoping it's something cheap. What should we start looking at first and where should we go from there? I've found lots of info but all it's done is confuse me. In my mind, it seems like we should start with replacing the fuel filter (Never been done on the truck), then the pressure regulator (Though I don't know where it's at on this truck), then the pump, but I don't know enough about his truck to know if it's the right order.

Hoping one of you chevy geniuses can help us out of a tight spot here.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
chevysbest92

Re: 2000 Chevy 3/4 ton stopped and won't start.

well can you here the pump whine when you turn the key to on? check for that, if it is working, change the filter, cheap, easy, and should be done every 10k, so its worth it anyway

Current Rides 2006 Silverado1966 Chevy c101972 Chevy Nova

Previous Rides
2003 Silverado
1992 Silverado
chevysbest92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Let me start by saying that I know very little about a 2000 3/4 ton truck specifically but I do know a fair amount of general stuff about how an engine/engine electronics system works. Now, with that being said....I don't think a fuel filter or regulator would cause instant death like that. The fuel pump.... maybe but I kinda doubt that too. I'm thinking more like a crankshaft sensor or something like that. Do you have any way of checking to see if it's getting fuel or fire? Are the plugs wet?

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
kcackler

The fuel pump relay was the first thing I listened to and it clicks when we turn the key, so it seems like it's probably working. I can't hear the pump whine, but I don't know if he's ever been able to hear that (He's working so I don't have any way to check).

To longhorn - what's the best way to check for fuel/fire? Tell me how and I'm sure I can manage to check it, but my truck is from before all of these fancy electronics, so I'm completely lost on this engine.

Thanks to both of you for the info.

Also - Would his computer not throw a code if the crankshaft sensor suddenly went out?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcackler View Post
To longhorn - what's the best way to check for fuel/fire? Tell me how and I'm sure I can manage to check it, but my truck is from before all of these fancy electronics, so I'm completely lost on this engine.
Well for fuel, you could use a fuel pressure gauge. For fire, it depends on if the coils are right over the plugs or not. If not, you can check it the old fashioned way by putting a plug in the end of the wire and grounding the case of the plug to the engine block and have someone spin the motor over. If you have fire, you will see the spark and or feel it if you are actually holding the plug while touching it to ground. I don't recommend the feel method.

Quote:
Also - Would his computer not throw a code if the crankshaft sensor suddenly went out?
Yes it would likely throw a code but not a guarantee. Have you checked the codes? I didn't realize that from your original post if you have.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!

Last edited by Longhorn321; 03-01-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
kcackler

Not even sure HOW to check the codes on this truck. I drive a 77. All these sensors and fuel injection terms are throwing me off

I can't find the fuel rail on his damn truck either. I've only had one fuel injected vehicle, and it was a 4 cylinder with the rail right on top. I've looked all over his engine and I can't find the rail anywhere. If I could find it, I'd put a gauge on it and see what was going on there. I guess I could also just pull the fuel line that goes IN to the rail and crank the engine and see if I get sprayed, right? If I could find the rail anyway.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
kcackler

I guess I can remove the fuel line before the filter and have someone crank it and see if we get high pressure fuel coming out. That would help us narrow it down to a fuel problem and not electrical I guess.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Quote:
I guess I can remove the fuel line before the filter and have someone crank it and see if we get high pressure fuel coming out. That would help us narrow it down to a fuel problem and not electrical I guess.
Yes that would work. It should not be too high of a pressure though. What engine is in this thing by the way? It's not a diesel is it?

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
kcackler

5.7L (I think) gas.

We're headed back up there now to double check the fuse and relay and also check the line pressure.

I just got some useful information. Apparently for the past month, the truck's been getting harder to start. They thought it was just the cold weather, but it sounds more like a pump slowly dying to me.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Does the engine look like this?
Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 12042
Size:  66.2 KB
If so, #3 is the rail and #8 is the schrader valve where you would put your fuel pressure gauge.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
kcackler

I don't believe it looks anything like that (Though I haven't had a great look at it yet)

I do have an update though. We disconnected the fuel line going into the filter and cranked it over for 10 seconds or so and not a drop of gas came out. Replaced the relay just as a thought, and the same thing is happening.

So since we know there is no fuel at all going through, do we know it's the pump or is there another cheaper replacement that it might be?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Next step I would take is to check for power and ground at the pump. Sounds like its FUBAR though.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
kcackler

But to do that, we've got to pull the bed, right? So pull the bed, check the connections, and if they're good, replace the pump? Not what I was wanting to hear
Old 03-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
Longhorn321
Size Matters

I couldn't say if the bed has to be removed or where the best place to check for power and ground is. Right at the pump would be my preference but as I said, I don't know how easy or hard that would be. Maybe someone with more specific knowledge on that particular truck will chime in. My guess though is that the tank could be dropped rather than the bed removed.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
kcackler

He's got a full tank of gas and no easy way to drain and drop the tank. We've got air tools and a front loader to take off the bed though, so it's probably quicker to do that.

I guess that's what we'll be doing tonight. Thanks for your help. Hopefully it's the pump because I'm tired of messing with it
Old 03-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
Longhorn321
Size Matters

I hope you find a solution too. Especially if you are going to do all that work. Let us know.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
kcackler

Will do. I'm going to go pull the bed bolts now and when he's off we'll take off the bed and see what's going on.

Thanks again. Very appreciated.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #18
kcackler

Thought I'd update this since you helped me out so much today. Buddy got off work tonight and we went up to where his truck was at and it started right up (I was kind of upset when that happened). We messed with the relay to try and get it to screw up again and it wouldn't. Then tried to start the truck later and it wouldn't start again. Jiggled the +12 wire at the pump and it primed. Jiggled it again and it wouldn't prime. So tomorrow I'm taking the bed off and I'll see if it's just a loose wire or what's going on there.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #19
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Sounds like you are getting closer.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #20
bwood

2000 3/4 will be the 88-98 body with the Gen I Small Block Vortec. The fuel pumps are a weakpoint with these trucks. Try taking a rubber mallet and smacking the bottom of the tank and then seeing if it tries to prime when the key is on. Pulling the bed is the common way to change the pump. While the pump is out/you are looking at connections, inspect the connector to the pump, they are known to have burned/bad connections. The fuel pressure test port is located on the driver side of the intake on top of the larger steel line feeding into the injector assembly. These trucks don't have a fuel rail like your used to, the feed fuel into a common injector assembly that contains a electric solenoid valve for each cylinder and a line from each solenoid to a poppet valve that contains a spring loaded check valve that opened with pressure to create the spray. If I remember correctly, it was called Central Sequential Fuel Injection (CSFI). You should be able to turn the key on and hear the pump run for about 2-5 seconds. This also would not set any codes. The fuel pressure spec should be around 63psi running.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F

Last edited by bwood; 03-02-2010 at 12:12 AM.
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #21
kcackler

WOW. Thank you for all of the information. I'm bookmarking this for future reference.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #22
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwood View Post
2000 3/4 will be the 88-98 body with the Gen I Small Block Vortec. The fuel pumps are a weakpoint with these trucks. Try taking a rubber mallet and smacking the bottom of the tank and then seeing if it tries to prime when the key is on. Pulling the bed is the common way to change the pump. While the pump is out/you are looking at connections, inspect the connector to the pump, they are known to have burned/bad connections. The fuel pressure test port is located on the driver side of the intake on top of the larger steel line feeding into the injector assembly. These trucks don't have a fuel rail like your used to, the feed fuel into a common injector assembly that contains a electric solenoid valve for each cylinder and a line from each solenoid to a poppet valve that contains a spring loaded check valve that opened with pressure to create the spray. If I remember correctly, it was called Central Sequential Fuel Injection (CSFI). You should be able to turn the key on and hear the pump run for about 2-5 seconds. This also would not set any codes. The fuel pressure spec should be around 63psi running.
I figured someone with some specific knowledge would speak up. Thanks bwood for some interesting information. I looked that CSFI stuff up. That is some weird chit to me.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #23
kcackler

Yeah, I started reading about it too. Makes me feel a little bit better for not seeing the fuel rail. I was really starting to think I was an idiot there until I read about it.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #24
kcackler

Hi guys - Quick question: We don't have the bed off of the truck yet (Work delays) and we haven't bought the new pump yet. My question is this: How can we know which pump to buy? There are 2 styles available for this truck, and we aren't sure which one we need without taking the old one out and comparing it with the pictures of the 2 available units. Is there a sticker somewhere on the truck that might lend some light to this?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #25
clinebarger

If you go to a dealership parts deparment with the VIN they will give you the correct part. Chevy having two different body styles in 2000 is probably the confusion
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote