The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
Carmen Black

S-10 Torsion Bar Sagging - Future V8 Conversion

I have a 1986 S-10 Blazer 4X4. It has been off the road for 2 years when I started a restoration. Then life started throwing every road block it could at me. I need to get back to it, but one problem I want to figure out before I start is how to put a heavier engine in the truck that already seems to have sagging torsion bars.

It previously had the 2.8L V6 with a factory horsepower rating of 125. After throwing everything at that engine trying to improve it, I determined it was a problem that had no real solution, so I tossed it. I have a 350 in my C-10 and and LQ4 sitting on a stand, so its getting one of those.

For some reason, I put on a new set of 31 inch tires on it the month before I started taking it apart which I think cursed the restoration. I had starting lifting the body a few inches to make room for the tires, but was still rubbing. I went to crank the torsion bars, and found they were already maxed.

Since I trashed the 2.8L, I now have to fit a much heavier engine in the truck and still keep the front end up. So my question is what is the fix for sagging torsion bars? I can't seem to find new stock or upgraded replacements. I feel any junkyard bars will have the same issue. And torsion keys or re-indexing the bars doesn't seem like a long term solution. I was thinking possibly air shocks on the front if I can get them to fit, but that still seems like band-aids instead of a real fix to the problem.

I should say the Blazer belonged to my dad. He gave it to me when I turned 16. I have been driving it for over 25 years, and I am getting buried in this truck (sorry C-10). So I am open to doing about anything.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:12 AM   #2
Richard

Re: S-10 Torsion Bar Sagging - Future V8 Conversion

Maybe do a search for custom bars. Not sure if coil/leaf manufacturer's make them but a quick google search turned up a couple of sources for torsion bars. Does not hurt to make few calls. My restomod is no where near stock, I am using custom made leaf packs on my project.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote