The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
69Tom

control arm threads/bushings

So I'm presently restoring my 70 C10. I had the control arms blasted and powdercoated.

The truck was really rusty and it was a bear to remove the original bushings (upper and lower) which clearly had never been removed before.

Now upon installation, I'm noticing that the new bushings (MOOG) are difficult to turn into the control arms. The threads aren't the greatest on these bushings (they're not very deep) and I'm worried my threads on the control arms are not good due to removal of the original bushings or the powdercoaters did a number on them when they had to remove powdercoat from the threads (yes, they actually did that).

So basically my question is, how difficult should these bushings be to turn into the control arms? I've done 1 upper and one side was much easier to turn than the other, where I was using a 25" breaker bar to turn it and it's still not all the way in [was trying to do one rotation per side at a time].

I really don't have the $500 to spend right now on new reproduction arms, so I'm wondering if I should just muscle these in with the hope I never have to remove (they're certainly not going anywhere after how hard it was to turn the one side), or I really need to buy new ones.

Thanks.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
N9nefingers

Re: control arm threads/bushings

I just did this on my 70...didn't powder coat the arms but I did clean and paint them. I used new Moog cross shafts and metal bushings. They weren't easy getting in by any means but they were doable. I started them on the bench and after I had a few of the outer threads started in the arms I temp mounted them on the truck to get the leverage needed to finish getting them in. I also used a cheater bar. The LCA's were harder than the UCA's. I was nervous about those shallow threads as well but it worked out. I will say this though...ditch the grease nipples that come with the Moogs...3 of them broke off while I was greasing the arms. This meant I did the job twice as I had to take the arms off to put in better nipples.
N9nefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
69Tom

Thanks for the input. I think I'm just going to tough it out installing what I've got. I suppose there's a good reason these don't thread/unthread easily.

Thanks for the info on the nipples. I'll have to figure out where to get some new ones.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
69Tom

Actually installed them this afternoon. Out of the 8 bushings I only had issue with the very first one.