The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Bocephusfan8

72 K10 Vin Plate Questions

Hey everyone!

I know this is a sore subject, but I’d like to see what others think of my situation. I’ve owned a 72 K10 pickup that has a good title in my name for the last 11 years. Renewed registration every year and been pulled over several times with no issues. I recently moved to SoCal from WA state and wanted to ship my truck down here. While taking a look at the vin plate closer I noticed it was mounted upside down and with different style pop rivets. I know that a big red flag but I never noticed it before cause I bought it from my cousin.

Do you think I should try and have the WA state police run the vin and verify it’s clear and see about having the plate turned around? Or just sell the truck and move on. I really would hate to sell the truck I’ve put a lot of time and effort into it and never had the intentions to sell it. Just seeing if anyone has had experience with this or have any recommendations.

Thanks,
Kyle
Bocephusfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
chevy71super

Re: 72 K10 Vin Plate Questions

Personally I didn't have a good experience with the WA DMV. Long story short is my 71 was one digit off on the sequence on the title. They gave me a hard time though the VIN plate, glove box and frame all matched. I suggested that after 30 years and likely numerous owners someone typed a wrong digit on the title. Licensed the truck in Cali with no issues.
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
jocko

First, I'd go slap the crap out of my cousin. Then, go to the CA State Police with as much documentation as you can find. But I'll be honest, I have no idea how it ever got titled in WA with the VIN plate upside down. Is the current title in your name?
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy71super View Post
Personally I didn't have a good experience with the WA DMV. Long story short is my 71 was one digit off on the sequence on the title. They gave me a hard time though the VIN plate, glove box and frame all matched. I suggested that after 30 years and likely numerous owners someone typed a wrong digit on the title. Licensed the truck in Cali with no issues.
If you'd like an even less enjoyable DMV experience, you should give CA a shot. Have lived in quite a few states, and they pretty much are the reigning champs of suck. No offense to an CA DMV employees intended, of course... And other than that, I loved living in CA.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
Bocephusfan8

Yes title is in my name. When you transfer a title within the state they do not perform a vehicle inspection. CA can be a pain when it comes to the DMV. I don’t know exactly why the vin was placed upside down but I’m assuming the was a cab swap back in the day. I just don’t want to pay 1000 bucks to ship and I can’t register it.
Bocephusfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #6
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephusfan8 View Post
Yes title is in my name. When you transfer a title within the state they do not perform a vehicle inspection. CA can be a pain when it comes to the DMV. I don’t know exactly why the vin was placed upside down but I’m assuming the was a cab swap back in the day. I just don’t want to pay 1000 bucks to ship and I can’t register it.
Ah, that makes sense. I'd still go smack my cousin.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:04 PM   #7
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephusfan8 View Post
Hey everyone!

I know this is a sore subject, but I’d like to see what others think of my situation. I’ve owned a 72 K10 pickup that has a good title in my name for the last 11 years. Renewed registration every year and been pulled over several times with no issues. I recently moved to SoCal from WA state and wanted to ship my truck down here. While taking a look at the vin plate closer I noticed it was mounted upside down and with different style pop rivets. I know that a big red flag but I never noticed it before cause I bought it from my cousin.

Do you think I should try and have the WA state police run the vin and verify it’s clear and see about having the plate turned around? Or just sell the truck and move on. I really would hate to sell the truck I’ve put a lot of time and effort into it and never had the intentions to sell it. Just seeing if anyone has had experience with this or have any recommendations.

Thanks,
Kyle
PM sent...
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
clay68c10

A fella could... Go get the overpriced rosette rivets off the usual auction website and flip the plate.
You’re not making a deal with the Mafia or selling your soul to Satan. Just correcting a mistake from years ago.

Might give the cousin a hard time about attention to detail, just for fun.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ

Last edited by clay68c10; 08-08-2018 at 09:50 AM.
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
Rickysnickers

Living in CA, I will tell you the best money you can spend is getting a membership to AAA. They do all registration stuff for DMV, at least here in the San Diego area. You are normally in and out in about 20 minutes, as compared to five hours at a DMV office.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #10
bill3rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay68c10 View Post
A fella could... Go get the overpriced rosette rivets off the usual auction website and flip the plate.

Might give the cousin a hard time about attention to detail, just for fun.
I did not know they were available.

And I agree about slapping the brown sludge out of a relative.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
And other than that, I loved living in CA.
Past tense. Why is that? Oh, sorry I see you moved to Texas. Anybody that can move to Texas does.

J/K although I am behind enemy lines in NY...

Bill
Old 08-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #11
mike16

corvette vendors sell those rivets and I doubt even WA DMV knows the difference but the head and pattern on the head of those rivets changes from year to year. but who knew that except those pesky OCD corvette fans.

Yea. Say no more, at least here. go become riveted by what corvette vendors sell and tell us good news. .
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote