The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
lutronjim

67 volt gauge pinout

I am trying to rework an old gauge dash and am planning to install a 67 volt meter instead of the amp gauge.

I saw one that used the noninsulated pin (top pin in photo) as ground and the left insulated pin (botton left pin in photo) as switched 12v. Makes one wonder what the botton right pin is for.

Have I got this correct? Thanks
Attached Images

lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: 67 volt gauge pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutronjim View Post
I am trying to rework an old gauge dash and am planning to install a 67 volt meter instead of the amp gauge.

I saw one that used the noninsulated pin (top pin in photo) as ground and the left insulated pin (botton left pin in photo) as switched 12v. Makes one wonder what the botton right pin is for.

Yes, the center upper stud is ground and the one on the left (in your photo from the back side)will get you battery voltage. I am not sure what the other stud is for myself but do know it will peg the gauge over to 18 volts if you apply 12 volts to it.

Make sure to eliminate power from your amp gauge through the circuit board. pins #1 and #12 on the connector. Make sure they have no power with key on.

Let me know if you need more help. I make volt gauge conversions kits for $100.00 plus shipping if interested. It will look like a factory volt gauge for a 67-72 truck.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Yes, the center upper stud is ground and the one on the left (in your photo from the back side)will get you battery voltage. I am not sure what the other stud is for myself but do know it will peg the gauge over to 18 volts if you apply 12 volts to it.
Just in case anyone is wondering, that other stud (on the far right in lutronjim's first pic) is basically an intermediate connection point between the external resistor and the gauge's internal coil. If 12V is applied there, it bypasses the current limiting resistor and pegs the gauge.

Also, the stud on the left (the one that is used for the +V connection) does not have any direct internal connection to the gauge. It simply connects to one side of the resistor. So this arrangement puts the resistor in series with the gauge's internal coil.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Just in case anyone is wondering, that other stud (on the far right in lutronjim's first pic) is basically an intermediate connection point between the external resistor and the gauge's internal coil. If 12V is applied there, it bypasses the current limiting resistor and pegs the gauge.

Also, the stud on the left (the one that is used for the +V connection) does not have any direct internal connection to the gauge. It simply connects to one side of the resistor. So this arrangement puts the resistor in series with the gauge's internal coil.
Thanks Ray, Yes the OP did ask that question and I thought it was connected to the internal coil but I couldn't find any confirmation of that so I couldn't answer the question.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #5
lutronjim

Another question. I looked about what I have to cut to install gauge. Beside cutting the ears I will have to slice off the bottom to match the original amp gauge I think to let dash light illuminate the gauge.

Can anyone tell me what the need of the 'hood' on top of the original gauges was for?

thanks
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #6
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Another question. I looked about what I have to cut to install gauge. Beside cutting the ears I will have to slice off the bottom to match the original amp gauge I think to let dash light illuminate the gauge.

Can anyone tell me what the need of the 'hood' on top of the original gauges was for?

thanks
The "hood"s just there to direct light. If there was no hood then you could see light from the back with no shielding.

I have done what your doing before and it is a pain. My suggestion is the drill out the small rivets on both and transfer your stock amp gauge face to the volt gauge. I use 4-40 stainless screws with nuts to secure. It will set in the same spot as the volt gauge face but fit your cluster like it should. You can also use the stock amp gauge needle. You would need to apply power and ground, then meter that. I use a 10 amp battery charger and a volt meter to see what the voltage actually is and place the needle accordingly.

What you end up with is a volt gauge set up that looks like a stock amp gauge.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:20 AM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:

Yes here take a look.

http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tech...geSwapR1-0.pdf

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote