The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
wildmanaaron

Question Frame off suggestions needed-k5 blazer

I am wanting to take the body off of my Blazer to detail the frame. I was just curious what other people have used to set their body on so it can move around or be painted on.

I thought about building a body cart like the ones they sell http://www.autotwirler.us/catalog/pr...2826b14fe56519 but need something on a budget I guess. Any suggestions?

How heavy is a full convertible tub without the doors or interior? Could six people lift it?
wildmanaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
tobiahr

Re: Frame off suggestions needed-k5 blazer

i used moving dollies to set mine on when i took it off http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93888
it kept it low to the ground so we could work on the roof without to much grief. they were also carpeted so there were no scratches to the paint when we mioved the cab. not sure about lifting the cab as i only found one friend willing to help so we used a 5 ton hoist and a frame to lift it off.

heh after looking at the specs for the moving dollies i realized their weight capacity is the same as the vehicle dollies...sad
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
wildmanaaron

I have some of the car dollies already. I used figured that they would be hard to move onto a trailer or something when I needed to take the hull to the paint shop.

Hopefully somebody knows how many people it would take.

I could take jack stands, an engine hoist, and manpower to get the body up enough to move the frame out from under the body.
wildmanaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
tobiahr

i can tell you from working with the autotwirler type dollies the only difference in ease of movement is the wheel size. i have issues with the car dollies i'm currently using just getting them to reverse direction...maybe fab up some dollies with larger wheels to move onto a trailer...i used the a-frame for that part too though so ...
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Do you have a chain hoist? If so, use a chain hoist hung from the rafters (or an A- frame, preferrably) to pick up the front. Use an engine hoist with a chain slung around both gate hinges to pick up the rear, and roll the frame out the front. A loaded tub probably is in the neighborhood of 1000 pounds or more, with top and interior.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote