The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Electricduane

Add seat to trunk area of K5?

I was inspired by Huggerorangeblood's thread about adding a center console/jump seat from a 2015 Silverado (I think) to his K5.

Has anyone added a second rear seat to the trunk area of a K5? It would then seat 6.

Obviously a rear seat from a 73-91 K5 would work. The second rear seat of 73-91 suburbans are extremely similar, if not identical. Later model Suburban seats would likely work as well, tho I have not tested that.

Once you get the seat, you would need to figure out how to attach it to the trunk floor. Essentially remove the gas tank and reinforce the underside with some sheetmetal or very large washers. Sandwich the trunk floor with sheetmetal/washers and bolt the seat in. Similarly use sheetmetal/washers to bolt in aftermarket seatbelt mounts.

Question 1: is the trunk floor metal too thin to weld the sheetmetal/washers to the underside? Or is it good enough/better idea to just sandwich the trunk floor and possibly seal up the sheet metal/washers with some silicone in order to avoid/limit moisture and rust.

Q2: After you're done, is what you've created safe? "Crashworthiness" is the legal term. If kids are riding in the 2nd backseat and you get rear-ended, is the vehicle reasonably safe? Obvious comparison would be riding in a Yugo or some other tiny/flimsy car.

Q3: After you're done, is what you've created street-legal? Can you get pulled over/get a ticket for essentially creating passenger seats in the trunk area of a vehicle (obviously not OEM-designed for passengers)? Since I live in California, I strongly suspect the answer is "yes" (by default), but I wanted to check with you smart people.

Thanks!!

Last edited by Electricduane; 01-23-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Electricduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
xs-style

Re: Add seat to trunk area of K5?

Might not be legal... But it would be fun lol Especially if you made the rear most seat face backwards.

Think about it. You've got that big electric rear glass. Some I've seen are pretty dark tinted. Ever heard Jeff foxworthy when he talks about mooning people in the back of an old Buick wagon ...
1981 k20 4x4 - 5.3 swap in progress

Events attended:
Spring GOG 2011
Dale JR car show Summer 2012
Gathering at Tommys pickup parts
xs-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:29 AM   #3
Huggerorangeblood

Thank you. I’m glad I inspired someone.

If I needed more than 6 seats in a K5 I think I would look at seats that face in in the trunk. Weren’t the fj40’s like that?
Huggerorangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I had a 76 Blazer once with a rear seat that didn't fold up. What you're talking about is essentially bolting one of those at the rear of the bed instead of the front so there's no reason it shouldn't work.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #5
Electricduane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorangeblood View Post
Thank you. I’m glad I inspired someone.

If I needed more than 6 seats in a K5 I think I would look at seats that face in in the trunk. Weren’t the fj40’s like that?
yes, that is a cool idea too . . . would be hard/expensive to find those seats, or other seat that would work. Maybe the Land Rover Defenders had "jump seats" like that?
Electricduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
MikeG.

Legal in Texas
MikeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:49 PM   #7
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricduane View Post
Question 1: is the trunk floor metal too thin to weld the sheetmetal/washers to the underside? Or is it good enough/better idea to just sandwich the trunk floor and possibly seal up the sheet metal/washers with some silicone in order to avoid/limit moisture and rust.
I have a few rusty spots at the rear lip of my K5 bed and bought some patch panels to use to replace the bad spots. I haven't made this repair yet, but I've seen it documented here several times. If you can weld in repairs, then welding a washer and nut underneath will work.

Quote:
Q2: After you're done, is what you've created safe? "Crashworthiness" is the legal term. If kids are riding in the 2nd backseat and you get rear-ended, is the vehicle reasonably safe? Obvious comparison would be riding in a Yugo or some other tiny/flimsy car.
If you used the seat I mentioned above, that doesn't fold up, it should make the floor stronger in that area. I've seen this done in one Blazer. Obviously the spare tire has to be relocated. I would probably place the new third row seat as close behind the second row seat as feasible without crowding out foot room. This would maybe leave you room behind it to store small items. Plus if it's too close to the rear glass, your kids will be banging there heads on it over bumps, or if you were rear-ended.

Quote:
Q3: After you're done, is what you've created street-legal? Can you get pulled over/get a ticket for essentially creating passenger seats in the trunk area of a vehicle (obviously not OEM-designed for passengers)? Since I live in California, I strongly suspect the answer is "yes" (by default), but I wanted to check with you smart people.
I would bet it's legal, even in California. I don't consider that a trunk area though. If you're using factory hardware and belts it will look factory and not draw attention to the fact it's been added on.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #8
chevy3100truck

I didn't add a 3rd row, but consider the 3rd row seats from the mid 2000's Denali's - they are a split design with seat belts built in. Fit perfectly between the wheelwells.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=755107

I used 3/16" plate underneath 8" wide x the width of the floor underneath the floor as a backing for the mounts. Would be easy to add another row if someone wanted too the same way since the belt mounts are built in.

One word of caution though - legroom will be brutal. The normal 2nd row has the advantage of a drop off in the floor height in front of the seat, a 3rd row wouldn't have that and you cant exactly raise the seat higher. It would be little kids only lol.

Last edited by chevy3100truck; 01-24-2018 at 04:42 PM.
chevy3100truck is offline   Reply With Quote