The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
MidLifer

Van engine and "Vortec" vanity cover

Anybody here ever fabbed up a way to mount the vanity cover on an engine out of a van? I found some threads on ls1tech that hint to this being a possibility. With my very-part-time swap 99% done I would rather not change out my intake manifold at this point. Plus I have a single-fuel-line manifold and the only used one I found on eBay has the return line.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
Rich84

Re: Van engine and "Vortec" vanity cover

My LQ4 is from a van. All you need is the mounting bracket at the rear of the cover. The holes in front are in the intake.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
MidLifer

Not on mine. See the photo. The stud that you screw the engine cover into is missing on mine, there is just a cap there which is bonded to the intake and doesn't seem to be easily removable.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

You'd just have to fab some kind of bracket to hold the cover in place..on the return fuel rail, if you decide to swap the intake to that return style you talked about all you'd have to do is cap of the return side ..mine is a return rail and I capped it off with -an fittings..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #5
MidLifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
You'd just have to fab some kind of bracket to hold the cover in place..on the return fuel rail, if you decide to swap the intake to that return style you talked about all you'd have to do is cap of the return side ..mine is a return rail and I capped it off with -an fittings..

Thanks. Wondering if anyone has done said fab and has pics to share.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I don't have any pics (because photobucket is terrible), but I have a 3piece cover on my van pullout. I don't have a rear bracket, instead I have small tabs on the underside of the top cover that sets into the side covers. Then it holds on with the single boss on the front.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #7
MidLifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I don't have any pics (because photobucket is terrible), but I have a 3piece cover on my van pullout. I don't have a rear bracket, instead I have small tabs on the underside of the top cover that sets into the side covers. Then it holds on with the single boss on the front.
Thanks - interesting how some van motors seem to have the central boss and others (like mine) don't. Mine also is missing the 3rd boss in the rear for the bracket.

I guess my choice is either swap out the intake or live without a vanity cover. Well, this truck is a driver not a showpiece so maybe the latter is the way to go.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
MidLifer

Quick update- scored an intake on eBay at a reasonable price, so looks like my engine bay's gonna look pretty after all! Thanks again all for the info - this forum rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post
Thanks - interesting how some van motors seem to have the central boss and others (like mine) don't. Mine also is missing the 3rd boss in the rear for the bracket.

I guess my choice is either swap out the intake or live without a vanity cover. Well, this truck is a driver not a showpiece so maybe the latter is the way to go.