The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
58GMCSB

1958 GMC/Chevy build. (aka Magic Beans)

I've been lurking the forums for a while. Finally got my build at least started and wanted to start a post to kind of keep my self on track

This is a 1958 GMC that I literally pulled out of a field. The last time it looks like this thing was legally on the road was 2011. It was obviously a farm truck or something that banged around local roads where cops don't check too close because it does have plates on it...but the year sticker seems to accidentally have caught a direct hit of spray paint. Hmm...

I traded a 2005 Honda motorcycle i had for it. The Honda was in good shape, but i barely rode it any more after having a kid. The average value of one around my area at the time was about $2500, and as it isn't a Harley its value is only going to decrease. I traded this guy straight up and knew it was going to be a lot of work, time and a bit of money to make it pretty again..but thats fine. I've been looking for a project like this for a while. Thats where the name 'Magic Beans' comes from. My wife's unhappiness with trading a shiny bike for a rusty truck. So that has become the name of this project.

Here's what i started with

In my opinion. not a terrible starting point...at first glance

As far as I can tell, the truck is bone stock except for wheels/tires. Original straight 6, what appears to be a 3speed with OD automatic trans. Interior was shot. It came with the original seat frame but it was pretty much a pile of crap. I don't know if the motor runs, but its not locked up and has all the original stuff. It was a big window truck, but that has changed.

Floors were salvageable, but of course the corners were shot as was the bottom of the doors.

The wood bed was long gone, and someone welded a sheet of steel in it, guaranteeing that the underpinnings of the bed would rust, as did the side

The doors were eat up probably a good 3-4 inches on the inside, 2-3 on the out. Might as well have gotten new doors. Corners needed replaced. Then i took the glass out. In the middle of the windshield there was a section that was completely gone, about 8 inches wide. And the top skin also had holes, botched attempts at body work..etc. The roof was going to need replaced. Now i can weld a patch panel on a fender, but thats not the same thing as putting together a roof. the steps inside the doors were also going to need to be repalced. Just in replacement panels, i would have spent somewhere around $1500.

Bed was pretty much done. I think work/materials needed vs buying new, its cheaper to just buy new bed panels. The rear fenders are good, just need cleaned up. The doghouse is good, though the fenders need a patch behind the wheels. Not a huge deal.

The frame is surprisingly good. A little bit of work will be needed around the steering box mounting point, but other than that, straight and not all that bad for rust.

The rear end however has about 1" thick armor coat of what im guessing is cow sh*t and georgia clay mud (where the truck originated) that has been baked on after years of sitting in the FL/GA heat. I tried a wire wheel on an angle grinder...hah!...tried a cutting wheel...made a couple dents....went at it with a big screwdriver and a hammer and thats about the most progress i made, and even that was only about 5" inches on the top. This stuff is tough.

But the cab. Oh...the cab. Total tear down of the cab revealed it was in way worse shape than I originally thought, all the really bad stuff was 'hidden' I decided it would be better to look for a new cab

So i started looking around for another cab and found this little jewel on ebay.

This is a 58 Chevy cab. This was in a place called Bonne Terre Missouri. I live in Brandon Florida. He wanted 450, i talked him down to my cab/doors and 300. So off came the cab and away we went

1000 miles each way. Did both shots straight through with only about 4 hours sleep in a hotel so mangy i wouldn't take my clothes off or get in the sheets. When i arrived in Bonne Terre, which is in the middle of nowhere, it was about 9pm, dark, raining, and out my passenger window/windshield I could see a tornado that was coming to town the same time I was.

The cab appears to be someone's automotive class project. There is a name, a date and what appears to be like a schools name in grease pen on the front.
The cab is very solid. Minor surface rust but the corners are solid, steps are solid, floor looks good. From the finish on them, it looks like this guy actually bought replacement doors to start his project with. It has been chopped 4". Its not complete, more like about 80% done. The hard work is done. Its been cut and chopped and tacked back together. The doors shut good, the gap around the doors is good

But the roof needs to be finished and even with my mediocre body skills, im pretty sure i can handle that. It appears whoever did the hard work knew what they were doing, they just didn't finish. My biggest issue is likely going to be the windshield.

I plan on doing a "low buck" hot rod build. Keeping the straight axle though im interested in the add on power steering assist packages. It has 6 lug hubs, i'll probably keep those to keep the rims, which actually cleaned up very well, and save a little money on shiny rims.
Before

After

At this point my plans are:
  • Healthy, naturally aspirated small block (ideally 327)
  • 4spd auto trans.
  • 4 wheel disc
  • Dual resevoir power master cylinder on the firewall
  • Keep straight axle but lower it (2")
  • Add ps assist
  • Lower rear by moving axle on top of springs
  • Move rear leafs under frame instead of outside so that a wider rear tire can be added

Im still kicking around everything i want to do in the cab. I'd really like a 'teched out' cab. Still thinking about it.

Im fairly confident in my ability to do most of the work myself. This isn't my first day at the rodeo and i do at least have a decent space to work with. My first frame off restoration was a 63 impala when I was 15. My pops was a hot rod gearhead of the highest order and these trucks are very simple in design. I've lost count of how many naturally aspirated small blocks i've put together at this point, so the engine shouldn't be a big deal. Finding one will likely be the toughest part.

So what i started with looked like a decent starting point. When i got it home and started taking it apart, really the only useable parts were
  • rear fenders,
  • hood,
  • front fenders (after patching),
  • core support
  • frame
  • rear end
  • front/rear suspension
  • grill support.
  • An argument could be made for a salvageable tailgate, but it wouldn't be a strong argument.

I'd bet the engine and transmission would likely be serviceable after a thorough degrease, plugs, fluid changes..etc.

Technically the glass is 'useable' but its the original laminated glass and its starting to bubble around the edges.

But i WILL bring this thing back from the dead. I've been wanting one for a while (mid/late 50's gm truck) and if i don't, i'll never hear the end of it from the wife.

Right now the focus is the frame. Needs cleaned, extraneous brackets removed, gas tank, gas and brake lines, rear leafs moved, front suspension refreshed, brakes updated. then repainted. Since im only working on it on the weekends mostly, im expecting the frame and underpinnings to be the focus until at least Christmas.
58GMCSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
58GMCSB

Re: 1958 GMC/Chevy build. (aka Magic Beans)

Taking the old cab off. Nothing more than a cherry picker and couple pieces of chain. Came of fairly easy

The cab i picked up. All the 'smart work' is done, but right now its about 80% complete. Its pretty much just tacked together at the roof. The doors are done, everything else is solid, just need to finish up the welding. Its pretty much rust free, even the corners were good until the guy i got it off of loaded it onto his trailer and crushed them.

Finally got the engine and trans out of the frame

The ol girl was actually in fairly decent shape considering her age and the shape of the rest of the truck
58GMCSB is offline   Reply With Quote