The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
kwmathes

First Post

I would like to start off with saying thanks to everyone. This forum has been a great help with working on my 69 c10 and my dads 2 72's. The orange and white truck and the tan trucks are both my dads. Mine is the blue truck which is a swb. I bought the truck as a roller and put the 350 from my 78 camaro (which has a 383 now) I also put a 350 trans which I'm not very sure about in. I ended up rewiring the truck and got it running this last week. When I bought the truck the bed was completely taken apart. I have put it back together and plan to put LED lights in along with a gas tank under the bed. I was planning on buying the kit the the gas tank from LMC. If there is a better place to buy from please let me know. I don't currently have many pics of my truck, but I'll be taking some more soon. The biggest issue I have right now is in the last picture. I have the linkage for the throttle that comes out of the cab with now way to hook it to the carb. Right now i have a piece of wire and a spring rigged up, but it won't do. If anyone know what piece I need please let me know.
Attached Images

kwmathes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
truckster

Re: First Post

I don't have an answer for your question, but welcome to the board!
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
hugger6933

Take a piece of all thread if that is all that is keeping you from riding. Welcome to the forum someone will come on with the answer. look on the for sale threads on the page and I'm sure you'll find a throttle rod. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
yuccales

Welcome to the forum. I see your family has good taste in trucks. The throttle linkage should be an easy fix. Find the stock rod (best choice), or make one out of a piece of round bar stock. Heat up the ends till glowing red, pound flat, grind a nice radius on each end, drill hole through each "new" flat, couple of bolts, some flat washers, nylock nuts, your in business. BTW, you got a good looking dog there.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
kwmathes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Take a piece of all thread if that is all that is keeping you from riding. Welcome to the forum someone will come on with the answer. look on the for sale threads on the page and I'm sure you'll find a throttle rod. Jim
Thanks Jim,
I honestly didn't know it was called a throttle rod. I have also thought about doing the throttle cable swap for safety reason. I just want to get the truck running and driving so I don't lose motivation.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
First off, welcome to the board. You guys have some nice rides, for sure....

As far as the throttle linkage that setup would use a rod with a 90º bend on the carb end and threaded on the other end with two nuts and a piece that fits into the arm that comes up from the firewall. That is for adjustment.

Here are a couple of pictures and a link to a thread with some pics. I think the rod is on backwards in the thread....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=282859

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #7
kwmathes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
Welcome to the forum. I see your family has good taste in trucks. The throttle linkage should be an easy fix. Find the stock rod (best choice), or make one out of a piece of round bar stock. Heat up the ends till glowing red, pound flat, grind a nice radius on each end, drill hole through each "new" flat, couple of bolts, some flat washers, nylock nuts, your in business. BTW, you got a good looking dog there.
I will most likely try to find the original part. We definitely own a lot of Chevy's. I have a 69 parts truck and a completely original 86 swb c10 too. The dog actually belongs to a friend of mine who lives next door. He always comes up to the shop with me though. Thanks
Old 11-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
kwmathes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
First off, welcome to the board. You guys have some nice rides, for sure....

As far as the throttle linkage that setup would use a rod with a 90º bend on the carb end and threaded on the other end with two nuts and a piece that fits into the arm that comes up from the firewall. That is for adjustment.

Here are a couple of pictures and a link to a thread with some pics. I think the rod is on backwards in the thread....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=282859

LockDoc
I just looked online and aftermarket throttle rods that are adjustable seem to be cheap enough. Thanks for the pics
Old 11-22-2015, 01:30 AM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmathes View Post
I just looked online and aftermarket throttle rods that are adjustable seem to be cheap enough. Thanks for the pics
No problem....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:08 AM   #10
Acorn

Welcome from you neighbor just down hwy 11 in Winnsboro!
If you can't find a new rod let me know. I may have an extra one laying around somewhere.
I suggest converting to a cable.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=669995
Old 12-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
kwmathes

[QUOTE=Acorn;7384407]Welcome from you neighbor just down hwy 11 in Winnsboro!
If you can't find a new rod let me know. I may have an extra one laying around somewhere.
I suggest converting to a cable.
[url]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=66999

I will probably go to a cable set up in the future. For now I think Im gonna go with a aftermarket rod
Thanks though