The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
10drum

Camper shell???

I have a 1969 long bed, I'd like to find a fiberglass camper shell. I read here that shells for the mid 90's Chevys fits. I checked some web sights like leer, but there are only short bed caps available for mid 90's. Any suggestions??? I live in Illinois. Phil
10drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
javelinmania

Re: Camper shell???

take a look at the following chart and it will help you to decide. It has the front to back measurements. It also has the side to side at both the front of the bed and the rear. Your truck is in Yellow and I believe your best options are in Green. These measurements came from http://www.truckaddons.com/tonneau-b...nts-guide.html
Attached Images

javelinmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
javelinmania

and for short beds, here are the closest matches based on length
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
kcsa75

Have you checked Craigslist? I've bought an sold two fiberglass camper shells for my '72. Many times the photos show them still on the truck. Most full-size longbeds from mid-90s back were pretty close in dimensions. If you see something you like, ask the seller to provide the length and width.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
10drum

Thanks javlin, but I'm looking for a camper shell, not tonneau cover.
KCSA, There are some old fiberglass shells that show up on craigslist, but they are pretty rough, by the time I'd fix it up, paint to match, I could buy a new one, if I just could find one to fit.
10drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
javelinmania

Here's one in North Carolina:
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/pts/5277437655.html
To check all of craigslist, go to
http://www.searchtempest.com
While the tables I provided above may have come from a web site selling tonneau covers, they are the measurements you need in selecting a camper shell. Don't let anyone tell you that one size fits all - for as you can see in the charts there are huge differences in the size and the width of some beds are different in the front and back.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

What you don't want is an 88-98 GM one. They decided to taper the bedside in at the rear for silly cosmetics. Up to that point you could swap from bed to bed between brands. Not sure about Dodges, but the Ford beds remained true to truck dimensions at least through '96 and maybe still. But with trucks being built more as passenger vehicles than work trucks I wouldn't be surprise if all the late beds are designed for glamour over function as well.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
Baddflash

I had a really hard time finding a canopy that would fit well, of all the later model Chevys, fords and dodges I checked nothing would really fit. I ended up building one myself as I wanted to ensure my new wood floor wouldn't be damaged.
Baddflash is offline   Reply With Quote