The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
72c20customcamper

Really. Not liking the aftermarket.

I have been restoring cars for 35 plus years. Early on repo parts were below par. But now I order a part for my SS and they are spot on. I just did the window rubber and felts for my truck. Got supposedly the best from the truck shop. Total crap . Not at all like the oem window is binding and rattles. I did the drivers side but not the passengers side. In going to leave the original. New **** is just that ****. Am I missing something? Originals are all rubber with no stainless strip. New has stainless and rubber that split as soon as I rolled down the window. Don't even look like the oem
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
BCOWANWHEELS

Re: Really. Not liking the aftermarket.

Same with the side bed trim i got................... Junk
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
lutronjim

Where did you buy it?
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:14 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't know about the doors but these are the best window felts/sweeps I have found. Made in the USA by Clark Industries, Pearcy, AR and go by the "Repops" brand.

There are two different sets. The only difference in the two sets is one is stainless and one is chrome plated stainless bead...

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:20 PM   #5
jmking9

I agree whole heartedly. But It's funny that you say you can order a part for your 66 chevelle and it's spot on. I'm in the middle of building a 67 chevelle, and it seems like half of the parts I've got for it are total junk. Latest example being the front hood molding, I'm on my 3rd one, all from different vendors. All of them have had a brushed finish that looks ridiculous with all of the other chrome pieces on the front of the car. Shouldn't be surprised by this stuff by this point, but it still blows my mind. I wish I lived somewhere near one of the vendors where I could actually see the parts before I buy them.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #6
72c20customcamper

Jmking9 the hood molding my chevelle is anodized aluminum not really shiney isn't yours the same. I have a nos one but I put an aftermarket one on . No sense using nos on a restomod. I have a stinger fiberglass hood on her now. But to the point the repop is almost as nice as the nos piece. Slight difference in color of the shine. Looks a little bluish if that makes sense. But the repop brow moldings are the same. I have pretty much all the trim nos. Been collecting pieces since 1984. Buddy keeps hounding me for the wheel opening and rocker moldings.

This is where I'm at again with the car. Lost the # 8 piston last fall. Still have no idea what happened it just imploded on itself. Thought it hit a valve but no evidence of contact with valve train. No evidence of detonation either in any of the cylinders.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
72c20customcamper

This is part of what I don't like , new felt looks totally different oem is all rubber no bead on top. New has stainless band's.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I just had the same problem on my Elkie. I purchased fender extensions from a major supplier. After peeling back all the brand stckers store name then Goodmark and finally Keystone. These were advertised as high quality and exact GM specs. Bull*&$@ not even close......

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
This is part of what I don't like , new felt looks totally different oem is all rubber no bead on top. New has stainless band's.
Different trim levels. You could have the trim with out without the SS.

I used Precision Products rubber and felts for my 1972 GMC and everything fit perfectly.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

x2 ^^^. The standard window seals are also offered. Maybe not by Counterpart. And when it comes to window seals I go with Precision, no matter who I buy them from.

It's true, many aftermarket parts are not up to snuff. And it sucks to put "overseas" parts on your truck from back when America made great stuff. But the overseas part is a concern across the consumer product spectrum and the way it is in 2018. I remember when you couldn't buy a new part for these trucks unless it was still available from GM. That is when I discovered the wonderful world of N.O.S. But with computer searching coming along, it didn't take long for the big guys to snatch that up. I remember as each thing became unavailable right along with the introduction of more and more reproduced stuff. I don't need perfect and go with used OEM all I can. But I'm glad there is such strong aftermarket support for these trucks. It sucks when the part is less than adequate, many are adequate, and many are damn nice!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote