The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #151
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Was talking to a mechanic friend of mine today and he said he uses a quart or so of tranny fluid in a gunked up engine to help clean it out. He said not to drive it like that but run it some to circulate it, then drain and replace the oil, etc. Anyone else heard of this or tried it? Would it better than regular seafoam treatments? Any other products you have used or heard of being used? I did put sea foam in the other day and will run it with that for a while and change the oil and filter again this weekend, just looking for other options.

BTW, went to a junkyard today and found a good driver side fender and inner fender for $30. I also got a 68 chevy grill for $10 that I'll either re-sell or use on the other blazer body I have, and also got an excellent step side fender for $25 that I'll be selling. It was just too nice to let sit in the junkyard. I really like this junkyard but it's about 85 miles away. When I'm working in that area and I have time, I stop and look. Oh yeah, I got seat belts for my C-10 for $10 too.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #152
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Hello, my name is Mike and I am an idiot. It has been a couple hours since I was last an idiot. I realize the error of my ways and am trying to get by day to day without displaying proof to the general public, that I am truly an idiot.

Whew! Now I feel better. Confession is good for the soul right?

Anyway, the lack of oil pressure has been bugging me since I knew about it. I thought I had it figured, but it just didn't seem right. What bothered me was that even with the gage line disconnected, it would not flow oil through the line. I double checked that the line was not plugged. I looked at the bare block in the garage, to see the oil passages. Fact is, if that pump is working at all, oil should come through the fitting at the back of the block.

So I went back this morning and checked again for any signs of oil flow, blockages in the passage for the gage fitting, anything. Found zippo, so decided to pull the pan again for another look. The oil pump was removed again and compared to the new one I had, the drive shaft for the pump was about 7/16" shorter than the new one. Probably too short for good engagement with the distributor. So I kicked my own ass around for a bit, good thing I was alone. Put it back together, started it up and glory be, oil flow through the gage fitting. Still not a lot of press, but I absolutely know there is flow from that pump.

I started hooking the exhaust up to the manifolds. I'll need to do a little cutting and get some clamps. It sounds pretty good though. I tried out the 4wd and I thinks it's all working. The transfer case shifts, and the hub lockouts move ok, but I couldn't really feel much difference from low to high. Anyone know an easy way to check that the 4wd is working without getting stuck in the mud and watching the front tires spin?

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-12-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #153
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Don't beat yourself...sh!t happens.

I've been following this thread for a long time and today was one of best posts I've read. I laughed my a$$ off at the beginning of the post and had to read it to my wife. Great job and great build thread.

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #154
70rs/ss

Make sure you didn't wipe a bearing, if the pump wasn't working for any amount of time, it might have done some damage. As for the oil pressure a stock 350 will run 15-20 lbs at idle and up to about 40psi under higher RPM's and a bandaid for lower oil pressure is thicker oil, 20w50 or straight 50 if in the warmer months. The 4X 4 lo or 4hi will make a different feel wheather the 4X works or not as 4lo still makes the rear 4 lo, so you should notice high RPM and slow moving in 1st gear. To check the 4X4 you need to be sure the hubs lock and that is it, the transfer case is gear driven, so once in 4X the front axle will turn unless the transfer case makes loud noises!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #155
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

An easy way to test the 4wd is to put it in 4wd then cut the wheels all the way to one side. You should feel the truck not want to go and lurch as you apply throttle. Do it in the dirt. I've tried it that way many a time on concrete or asphalt but you can break an axle that way. Congrats on findin' some oil pressure.

My Build

Last edited by Big J; 07-14-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #156
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
Make sure you didn't wipe a bearing, ... and a bandaid for lower oil pressure is thicker oil, 20w50 or straight 50 if in the warmer months.
I checked the front main, which was ok, but didn't check the rods. I figured they were not great to begin with. I'll run it like it is 'till I notice rod knock or other symptoms. As for the oil weight, I'm not sure heavier is better in this case.

Here's why, if I run lighter oil that flows easier, it should increase actual flow to the bearings, and should also be better in an engine with gunk build up in pushrods and lifters, etc. If I run heavier oil, the pressure will increase at the gage due to back pressure against the bearings, etc. It looks better at the gage, but may not be better lubrication. For now, I started with 5w-30 and I'll be treating it to clean the engine out some. When or if the oil starts looking cleaner after a few changes, I'll bump it up to 10w-40, or maybe 50. It sounds great, starts and idles like a champ, no knocks or clacking, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
An easy way to test the 4wd is to put it in 4wd then cut the wheels all the way to one side. You should feel the truck not want to go and lurch as you apply throttle.
Thanks, I am pretty sure everything is good. I shifted it through all the different points and it drove each time, except neutral of course. I'm certain the transfer case is fine, oh yeah, I need to check the oil in that too. Anyway, I did feel the normal front axle lurch while turning. I guess the only thing I'm unsure of is whether both hubs are locking in. Is there a way to test this? Maybe jack up the front axle and turn the wheels by hand. Will the other wheel spin if it's not locked? Does it spin same direction if it has a posi only and reverse for open? If one wheel is in the air and the hub is open, will it spin freely? Then not spin when locked, cause the other wheel is on the ground and the transfer case is engaged?

Just throwing ideas out there. All my other 4wd trucks have been auto hubs, shift on the fly, etc. This is my first old school 4wd.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #157
70rs/ss

Yeah, jack up one front tire at a time, lock the hub and you should feel hear it lock and it won't spin (in gear, 4 locked) mind you, then try other side same way. As for the thicker oil it actually fills the space in the case of worn or loose bearing tolerances. I guess the thicker oil could cause an issue, but if there is a restriction thin or thick it's going to happen. I run 20w50 in the winter, and straight 50 or 60 in the summer in my older v-8. The oil helps to keep the metal parts from touching the other metal parts! If you wiped a bearing, you'd hear it and the OP would be pretty low. Run straight 30 in it and get the cheapest auto parts brand oil you can find, as you are going to run it for a short period of time (with either the seafoam or auto trans fluid) just don't run it hard or drive it, just start it and let it idle, then dump it and change filter. I have heard of guys getting lucky and you seem to have a good bit of it!! I had a buddy lose a brand new motor because he didn't prime the OP and it ran with assembly lube and then welded stopped! I am still in complete awe of this build, the budget is rediculous, and that is why I love it so much. I have a couple of vehicles around here and lots of parts, once I can get around and do the work (back surgery 5 weeks ago) I will give this low dollar build idea a shot!!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 07-16-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:16 PM   #158
nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Was talking to a mechanic friend of mine today and he said he uses a quart or so of tranny fluid in a gunked up engine to help clean it out. He said not to drive it like that but run it some to circulate it, then drain and replace the oil, etc. Anyone else heard of this or tried it? Would it better than regular seafoam treatments? Any other products you have used or heard of being used? I did put sea foam in the other day and will run it with that for a while and change the oil and filter again this weekend, just looking for other options.
I once had an engine that had lots of gunk in it. I used this stuff from wally world called Engine Flush or something. Worked good. While talking to my dad about using it, he said that I could have just used diesel fuel, about a pint of it. He said that's what he used to use in his old engines when they needed a good cleaning. He said that he would just run it until it got warm, then change the oil. I haven't tried this, but the Engine Flush stuff worked great.

On a side note, glad to see that you are getting pressure now.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #159
70rs/ss

I had an old timer tell me the same thing, he used diesel in the oil and put a little in the gas to loosen carbon off the valves, but I was always a little scared to try it. The motor flush is pretty harsh I hear, but if it ruined motors I doubt they'd stay in busines?? I think any of the above stuff would work, I just knew some guys here praised seafoam?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #160
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

Trans fluid (dexron) is high in detergents so it should clean up the engine. Just don't drive with it. My dad ran a service shop back in the day so he has done the trans fluid cleaner before. He also used to trickle it down the carb as the engine was running to clean up the valves. You have to keep the RPM's elevated a bit for this procedure and its better if the engine is at operating temp.

Looks like you are lucky. It happens every once in a while.
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #161
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks for the tips everyone.

On a side note, I know a guy up in northern MN that is into these trucks big time (no internet, no email). Anyway, I was working up there this week and stopped by. Told him about my luck at the junkyard and he may be trading me some parts for the step side fender I found. I might be able to get some significant parts for my $25 investment.

I also spotted some trucks at a metal recycler north of Thief River Falls. Talked to the owner and was told that he could not sell parts, but I could take some small stuff. So for $0 I got an arm rest, visors, ash tray, radio delete, transfer case shift knob, horn button, dome light with harness and a few other doo-dads. I might have been able to get more, but I didn't want to push my luck. All this stuff was quick and easy to get. Access was not good. As always, what I can't use for my own projects will eventually be sold.

During the 900 plus miles I put on since sunday, I looked at 2 trucks in the scrap pile, 2 along the road with for sale signs, 2 along the road w/out for sale signs (one was possibly abandoned) and then stopped at Flynns place (see above). He has a gorgeous red 72 long bed, copper 72 blazer, blue panel, green 4x4 long bed, another blazer he restored. I think he has a suburban in his shop and another couple trucks, oh yeah and a GMC 4x4 snow plow truck. He does restoration on his own projects all summer, then drives truck over the winter. Very good guy.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #162
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Hows this for an update, pics of my daughter driving the beast.

She said it was hard to steer, she's used to moms denali. She said she wouldn't drive it unless I painted it and got rid of the GMC on the windshield. We'll have to see how picky she is about the paint.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #163
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
Hows this for an update, pics of my daughter driving the beast.

She said it was hard to steer, she's used to moms denali. She said she wouldn't drive it unless I painted it and got rid of the GMC on the windshield. We'll have to see how picky she is about the paint.

It's perfect the way it is.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #164
71swb4x4

What's your dollar total right now?
Old 07-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #165
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

Quote:
The paint on the body isn't too bad, why not paint just the hood?

My remanufactured power steering box in my Blazer has less effort than the original power steering box, so a steering box swap could be an option for you.
'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #166
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
What's your dollar total right now?
With the new oil pump, I'm up to $388.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpeanut View Post
The paint on the body isn't too bad, why not paint just the hood?

My remanufactured power steering box in my Blazer has less effort than the original power steering box, so a steering box swap could be an option for you.
The paint on the body is worse than it looks in the pics, You could never match it. Too much fade. The steering gets easier everytime I drive it, and it really is not bad, she just has nothing but the denali to compare it too. If anything, the pump might be weak, you can here it whine. I'll check the fluid level again and if it's good, I'll probably swap the pumps I have already.

Here's a short list of what I'm searching for:
pass side fender
steering wheel with or without column
ignition switch bezel
wheel trim rings (very high priority item)
Time, time, time

Hmmm, junkyard is open, I know where I can get at least 2 of those items. Talk you you all later.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #167
Wootdog

I just read the whole build for the second time. You make being on the road manageable. Thanks, and keep up the good work.
Kerry
Wootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #168
71swb4x4

Did you replace the pump? If so, did you bleed it? Mine was tough too, then I bled it and it was easy as pie to turn.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #169
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Did you replace the pump? If so, did you bleed it? Mine was tough too, then I bled it and it was easy as pie to turn.
It wasn't new, but a drained used one. It's really not hard. It's only slightly harder than my C-10, which should be expected considering the tire size alone. I'm not very concerned about it.

BTW, what are you working on lately?

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-19-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #170
bigbadchev72
People know me

tire size shouldnt be a problem, im running 38s on mine and can turn it with ease. noisy pump sounds like air in the system, is your fluid frothy? jack up your front end and turn for side to side with it running to bleed out the air.

Looking good
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:24 AM   #171
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadchev72 View Post
tire size shouldnt be a problem, im running 38s on mine and can turn it with ease. noisy pump sounds like air in the system, is your fluid frothy? jack up your front end and turn for side to side with it running to bleed out the air.

Looking good
The second time I added some fluid, it was a little frothy and I figured there was some air in it. I'll try this out when I work on it next.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #172
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Tried bleeding the air out, but not sure it worked. Oil was still kinda frothy. I think the pump is just weak. I have another one to try on it, when the air dries out a bit. The dew point right now is 71, sweating just doesn't help much in those conditions. While the front was jacked up, I tried something else with the front axle. Hubs locked, turn the tire, opposite side spins opposite direction. Unluck hub, wheel turns on it's own freely, same thing for other side. Drove it again in 4wd and it's definitely locking up good. Got the transfer case shifter on, sweet.

I also found a pet living in it, time to test out the dryer sheet /rodent preventer trick. Downfall of of leaving it out at the farm.

I took it out down the highway! WOW!, Won't be trying that again for a while. Open exhaust, floor gone, weak brakes, YIKES! One plus was that after driving it at 55 mph and letting up on the gas, it was so quiet I actually thought the engine died.

Status of the apparatus:
Engine running-check
transmission working-check
transfercase working-check
front hubs locking-check
steering-needs work
lights and other electrical-needs work
brakes-yikes!
exhaust-kinda loud
floor-I'm a flintstone for now
body-who cares until other stuff is fixed

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-20-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #173
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

I've had best luck with bleeding the steering by turning the steering wheel to one side as far as it will go and pulling really hard on it, usually from outside the truck where I can get my body weight into it. The repeat from the other side. Usually works pretty good.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #174
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

glad yu got it running i love this build...yoru lucky i dont think any of my kids would drive it.. for some reason beyond me i got stuck with kids who love imports.. im so ashamed, not sure what i did wrongg.. cool project..
Old 07-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #175
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMC454 View Post
glad yu got it running i love this build...yoru lucky i dont think any of my kids would drive it.. for some reason beyond me i got stuck with kids who love imports.. im so ashamed, not sure what i did wrongg.. cool project..
We all have our crosses to bear...